FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qantas | Frequent Flyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer-498/)
-   -   SYD to PVG (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer/1372635-syd-pvg.html)

thebear Jul 31, 2012 9:26 pm

SYD to PVG

I figured that this was the best place to ask the experts.

I have to fly to Shanghai from Sydney and have the option of PE via HKG (QF or CX) or Business direct on China Eastern (MU).
I am a platinum QFF and have no hope of retaining that status this year especially in light of the travel downgrade.
I understand that I can earn QFF points on the MU flight, but don’t believe that I earn status credits (I don’t believe that there are codeshare flights), is this the case?
Also what lounge will I have access to in SYD travelling on MU, will it be 1st as a Plat or just Business as travelling on a J flight?
What would be the better option, how good is MU?

Appreciate any opinions.

explorer13 Jul 31, 2012 9:42 pm

I can't reply on the other questions but how about QF129 direct to PVG, then you would earn SC and have first lounge access

Blackcloud Jul 31, 2012 9:59 pm

You cannot access the First Lounge unless you are on a oneworld operated flight.

Himeno Jul 31, 2012 11:24 pm

You can get QF129/QF130 direct between SYD and PVG. It operates monday, thursday, saturday and sunday. Day flight north, overnight south.
You can also go via NRT or SIN.

You can get points on any flight coded and operated by a QFF partner. You can only get status credits on QF coded, JQ coded (if the extra is paid) or oneworld operated and coded flights.

There are QF coded China Eastern flights to PVG out of SIN.

Platinum A332 Aug 1, 2012 1:03 am

Originally Posted by Himeno (Post 19037967)
You can get QF129/QF130 direct between SYD and PVG. It operates monday, thursday, saturday and sunday. Day flight north, overnight south.
You can also go via NRT or SIN.

You can get points on any flight coded and operated by a QFF partner. You can only get status credits on QF coded, JQ coded (if the extra is paid) or oneworld operated and coded flights.

There are QF coded China Eastern flights to PVG out of SIN.

SYD-PVG is daily from my understanding (sometimes 6xwk). But QF often charges $6000 minimum for this flight.

Himeno Aug 1, 2012 2:14 am

Originally Posted by Platinum A332 (Post 19038227)
SYD-PVG is daily from my understanding (sometimes 6xwk). But QF often charges $6000 minimum for this flight.

That's what I pulled out of this weeks newly updated oneworld downloadable timetable.

thebear Aug 1, 2012 5:30 am

Thanks all, the direct flight J class on QF is too expensive and does not have PE.

Have decided to forgo business class on MU and take QF via HKG.

Will possibly only end up with a few hundred staus credits this year so will need to hope for a soft landing.

Cheers

LHR/MEL/Europe FF Oct 28, 2012 5:28 am

Originally Posted by thebear (Post 19038865)
Thanks all, the direct flight J class on QF is too expensive and does not have PE.

Have decided to forgo business class on MU and take QF via HKG.

Will possibly only end up with a few hundred staus credits this year so will need to hope for a soft landing.

Cheers

you will get a soft landing even with no qantas flights and no SCs. so if you are taking PE just for that reason there is no need. if you want comfort then take mu business, for time savings if nothing else.