Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Transit SYD different airline with 2 PNR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2012, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF (WP), NZ (KC), IHG Ambassador

Hi

Not sure if this is the best board for this question.

I have a friends who has 2 tickets, first WLG-SYD on QF and second SYD-MNL on PR. They are travelling on a Philippine passport and therefore need a visa to enter Australia.

1) Can QF at WLG tag the luggage all the way through even though on 2 different PNR?

2) I am assuming QF at WLG cannot issue a boarding pass for PR

3) At SYD, if the luggage is checked all the way through then obtain boarding pass from the Transit desk which is located by the Transit security.

4) If QF cannot tag the luggage all the way through then what will happen in SYD as you can only collect luggage after immigration and they do not have a Visa for OZ.

I am just trying to make the best of what seems a bad choice of tickets. As usual this was done for cost reasons without thinking of the implications.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 3:55 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
1. yes, if QF/PR have an interline agreement (almost certainly they do -- you can phone QF to confirm this). QF may require the PR ticket number at checkin in writing, so be sure to print it out (this is a little known "feature" of e-tickets!).
2. correct, cannot issue BP at WLG
3. correct but they will need to produce the ticket number as well the as PNR locator.
4. they will be denied boarding by QF at WLG. If by chance they do make it to SYD, then they will not be allowed to reclaim their baggage in person. PR may be willing to make arrangements to reclaim the bags, or they may stay in SYD forever Having a camel suit in the bag might help

Best to talk to QF staff at WLG prior to travel so they are briefed on this trip and can arrange a smooth check-in. And get to the airport very early so that an hour or 2 is available to sort out any problems at check-in.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 4:02 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
number_6, I believe that your answer to 1) is not exactly correct. AFAIK, QF now (since late 2010) checks through only and only if it is on one PNR or if it is to OW airline. I do not think that PR is member of OW. Here is the link that provides all necessary info http://www.qantas.com.au/agents/dyn/qf/info/201010/1027

workingman, from my experience I believe that QF will not check the luggage through. Sorry to be a bearer of bad news...

Last edited by vbroucek; Oct 23, 2012 at 4:09 pm
Old Oct 23, 2012, 4:17 pm

Programs: DL KM (charter)
Why don't you have your buddies get a 771 Transit Visa?

They are FREE, and can be applied for whilst out of Australia.

Check this out: ( http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/transit/771/ )

They lodge it here: ( http://www.immi.gov.au/contacts/overseas/n/new-zealand/ )

Those folks can turn this around in a few days if your buddies express it up to Auckland (and include an express post return envelope).
Old Oct 23, 2012, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all for the advice. As the flight is on this Saturday, then getting the visa maybe a bit difficult. This is not even thinking about the return trip which will involve the same problem.

I think I will advise them to delay the trip if possible and apply for the transit visa ASAP.

QF have advised over the phone that they would not allow them to board, as they will need a visa to get their luggage for the transfer. If they only have hand carry then yes they would allow them to travel as no need to clear immigration to obtain the second boarding pass.

All this so they could save NZ$150. Some bargain that is turning out to be.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 5:27 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
It is my understanding that QF's policy for through-checking bags for different bookings is that they will only do it if the connection is to another OneWorld airline or JQ in some circumstances (int transfer for example).

Of course this does not mean that the policy is always rigidly enforced and you may find a check-in agent willing to through-check bags.

Just because the airline may have an interline agreement with another does not mean they have any responsibility to through-check bags when purchased on separate tickets. The baggage interline agreements normally only apply when the ticket itself is purchased as part of an interline ticketing agreement.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 5:48 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by NM
It is my understanding that QF's policy for through-checking bags for different bookings is that they will only do it if the connection is to another OneWorld airline or JQ in some circumstances (int transfer for example).

Of course this does not mean that the policy is always rigidly enforced and you may find a check-in agent willing to through-check bags.

Just because the airline may have an interline agreement with another does not mean they have any responsibility to through-check bags when purchased on separate tickets. The baggage interline agreements normally only apply when the ticket itself is purchased as part of an interline ticketing agreement.
Most staff at WLG are in fact NZ and they will not have the authority to interline the bags.
If they talk to the QF station manager, she will not allow it. She is a stickler for the rules and always has been.
Get the visas sorted and try to delay the trip, which I doubt as they appear to have purchased the cheapest tickets.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 6:42 pm

Passengers ultimately are the only ones responsible for making sure that they are in compliance with visa regulations. A quick TIMATIC check would have revealed:

National Philippines (PH) /Transit Australia (AU)
Destination Philippines (PH)
Australia (AU)
TWOV (Transit Without Visa):
Visa required, except for Holders of onward tickets for a max. transit time of 8 hours:

The intent was good - the execution was not. They should have called BOTH airlines and checked not just the (1) baggage situation but also checked whether the (2) transit time would have been sufficient and (3) how and where they would obtain their boarding passes BEFORE they booked the flights - isn't this just basic pre-planning homework, ESPECIALLY when transiting a third country?

Look, if people are savvy enough to find cheap fares, then they are also savvy enough to understand that international travel does not work unless immigration and transit requirements are met. These are foreign passport holders in New Zealand, clearly proving that they have sufficient international travel experience to understand the gravity of regulations.

Whether it's possible or not I don't know - but to make their flights on Saturday, looks like they would need to ditch checking bags and only travel with carry-ons.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 6:43 pm
NM

Originally Posted by Blackcloud
Most staff at WLG are in fact NZ and they will not have the authority to interline the bags.
If they talk to the QF station manager, she will not allow it. She is a stickler for the rules and always has been.
And its likely also going to be a case of "Computer says no" as most of the logic is no longer delegated to check-in staff but controlled by the rules programmed into the computer systems.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by NM
And its likely also going to be a case of "Computer says no" as most of the logic is no longer delegated to check-in staff but controlled by the rules programmed into the computer systems.
Which is perfectly reasonable and to be expected since QF's policy is no longer to transfer bags on separate itineraries ( other than for OW travel )

If there are agents which are ignoring the policy then that is providing an inconsistent service and leading to setting expectations which may not be met

If the passengers have luggage then I think that they may simply find that they are refused travel by Qantas due to lack of visa

I would suggest that they look at re-arranging their itinerary to not include Australia - or get a visa if it can be obtained in time
Old Oct 24, 2012, 1:27 am
NM

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Which is perfectly reasonable and to be expected since QF's policy is no longer to transfer bags on separate itineraries ( other than for OW travel )
When there are rules, they should be followed. The "computer says no" is a good way of making it consistent and taking the pressure off the agent to "bend the rules" because someone is pushy. This is all good providing the logic has been correctly coded into the system, which I expect will be the case for such baggage handling policies.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

All

Thanks for the additional advice. It seems to be a Filipino trait that rules are there to be ignored/broken. On the way from MNL to SYD they were at first denied check-in by PAL as no visa, but the person who accompanied them to check-in (Anyone who knows MNL will know that normally only passengers are allowed into the terminal) knew someone who knew someone and suddenly they were checked in, and they arranged for someone from PAL at SYD to collect the bag and get it checked SYD-WLG. So this meant they were OK in transit as they did not need to clear immigration.

Of course going back QF at WLG are not playing those games. So today they have flown to AKL to try and get the transit visa issued in time. If they do not get it by tomorrow then they will alter the flight, and of course pay the fees and any fare change. So this saving of NZ$ 150 is working out quite expensive.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 6:48 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Hard way to learn this lesson and also result of (most probably) buying online. No serious TA would have sold such tickets to them... Lesson your friends learnt is also probably reason why apparently brick and mortar TA businesses are slowly recovering and online TA are on decline...
Old Oct 27, 2012, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by workingman
So today they have flown to AKL to try and get the transit visa issued in time.
They did?
Old Oct 28, 2012, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Well they did get the visa issued in 1 day at AKL, so all thanks to the visa staff there who were very accommodating. So no problems at SYD transferring from QF to PR.

A lesson learned for them I think.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.