Wiki Posts
Search

QANTAS forges Emirates tie

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2012, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF LTG
QANTAS forges Emirates tie

Not sure if this is the right spot to post but certainly an interesting read!

From the AFR ( Qantas forges Emirates tie )

Originally Posted by AndrewClearyAFR
Qantas Airways would give up its last European port and route many of its London flights through Dubai instead of Singapore under a proposed tie-up with the world’s largest international airline, Emirates.

The Australian Financial Review has learned Qantas is edging closer to a transformational alliance with the Dubai-owned carrier designed to revive the Australian icon’s loss-making international arm.

The companies are holding late-stage discussions over a code share agreement that would see Qantas fly to Dubai for the first time and rely on its new partner to transfer passengers to destinations across Europe, the Middle East and parts of Africa.....CLICK LINK ABOVE FOR MORE

Last edited by PbodyPhoto; Jul 26, 2012 at 2:48 am
Old Jul 25, 2012, 10:57 am
Suspended

Just bring Emirates into OneWorld or forgo a tie with Cathay Pacific which is more handy for qantas. A tie with Cathay Pacific could open up Paris, Asmsterdam, rome, Milan and many Asian cities. So both Qantas and Cathay can firmly stand three Asian hubs, HKG, BKK and SIN while MH holds KL.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by chongcao
A tie with Cathay Pacific ...
That would require CX to play, which it will not.

Thanks to PbodyPhoto for the story.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Globaliser
That would require CX to play, which it will not.

Thanks to PbodyPhoto for the story.
I am sure CX will if the term is attractive.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by chongcao
I am sure CX will if the term is attractive.
QF is not in a position to pay megabucks for this. And CX is a reluctant and disengaged member of OW so would have no natural enthusiasm anyway.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 4:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Just read the article on the Financial Review. The writer is very cautious about many terms of the deal - at this point it's all speculation. I would say that QF will have to be careful not to endanger its relationship with BA and other OW carriers, as a tie-up with Emirates could pose potential risks of customers defecting - in the long term - to Emirates altogether.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 4:23 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
I welcome better connections to the Arab World. As nice as the Concorde Room in T5 is, 9-11 hours layover in each direction to get to CAI on QF/BA is just absurd. JED and other cities are no better.

As for the 'Falcon route,' it sounds a lot like GF!
Old Jul 25, 2012, 4:26 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by oneworld82
Just read the article on the Financial Review. The writer is very cautious about many terms of the deal - at this point it's all speculation. I would say that QF will have to be careful not to endanger its relationship with BA and other OW carriers, as a tie-up with Emirates could pose potential risks of customers defecting - in the long term - to Emirates altogether.
I totally agree.
I think there is not mch of an upside for EK on this as they will be flying into the capital cities so really do not need to rely upon the small amount of feed from the QF network.
For QF the danger is that QFFers may just abondon QF all together as you are not able to upgrade using QFF points on other airlines flights.
I really cannot see this deal going through....but then again i said the the DFW fligth was a fanciful rumour.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 5:43 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
Youre right Mohamed. Gulf Air is indeed "Golden Falcon" just as Qantas is "the flying Kangaroo" and the frequent flyer program is "Falcon Flyer".

I'm getting a little fed up with all this speculation. I'm not too displeased with a potential tie up but let me tell you EK is hardly as glam as it's made out to be...just wait till you connect on an old 330 from DXB to somewhere in the ME or EU-its hardly impressive. Also, the EK DXB terminal is akin to a zoo...always full and J lounge is just a terminal within a terminal always a frenzy of people...nothing really premium about it or intimate. The F lounge is much better but still nothing as good as QF's or many other first rate carrier's F lounges. Both lounges are pretty impersonal.Their network and A380's are the only two good things about them IMHO.

I wish QF would tie up with CX that would be fantastic. Also, what happens when EK gets us to EU if we are doing multiple stops and we are no longer partners with BA or in OW?

I'm looking forward to QF, once and for all, resolving its international plans.

CJ

Last edited by Cedar Jet; Jul 25, 2012 at 6:36 pm
Old Jul 25, 2012, 6:04 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
I've been told time and time again that EK joining ANY alliance is off the table. If a deal can be done which benefits both QF and EK, then I'm all for it.

The new Concourse (C3) due to open in Q1 2013 should alleviate some of the congestion and EK is looking to replace a lot of the older aircraft (as they should). The aim is to be running a fleet of 777, A380 and A350 only.

Thankfully I dont fly on too many of the older Airbus - but I would agree with the previous comments re the 330 aircraft.

But then again, I paid a lot of money last week to travel in Y from MEL to PER on an 18-year old QF 767. That wasn't pleasant either.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by eightblack
I've been told time and time again that EK joining ANY alliance is off the table. If a deal can be done which benefits both QF and EK, then I'm all for it.

The new Concourse (C3) due to open in Q1 2013 should alleviate some of the congestion and EK is looking to replace a lot of the older aircraft (as they should). The aim is to be running a fleet of 777, A380 and A350 only.

Thankfully I dont fly on too many of the older Airbus - but I would agree with the previous comments re the 330 aircraft.

But then again, I paid a lot of money last week to travel in Y from MEL to PER on an 18-year old QF 767. That wasn't pleasant either.
Blame Boeing for the 767; by rights it should have been an A330 or 787 you were on.....QF and every other airline should have had shiny new 787's looong ago!
Old Jul 25, 2012, 6:38 pm

Great strategic move by EK. Win over the customer base of QF by taking them from QFi and switching them over to EK. Personally, I have found EK to be inconsistent and rubbish and have no desire to fly with them. I would much prefer EY, QR or RJ in the Middle East.

Personally, I would like to see a CX partnership (and a partnership with QR should they join oneworld). This way QF could fly one-stop via HKG (where it already has an established presence) to LHR, FRA, CDG, AMS, FCO, MXP and DME. You can also add an MH arrangement to fly one-stop to IST.

Add QR to the mix, and you have a network stronger than any EK partnership without the risk of cannibalising your International business. Let QR for example fly MEL/PER-DOH, and QF can fly SYD/BNE-DOH.

QR seems much less intent on killing QF than EK is. But then this is perhaps Alan Joyce's intention anyway.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 6:42 pm

Agree totally Plat except, for RJ..they are average at best. Maybe with the new AMM terminal the lounge offering will make RJ that little bit more pleasing.

Last edited by Cedar Jet; Jul 25, 2012 at 6:47 pm
Old Jul 25, 2012, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by Cedar Jet
Agree totally Plat except, for RJ..they are average at best. Maybe with the new AMM terminal the lounge offering will make RJ that little bit more pleasing.
I do admit that I do have quite a bias to RJ . But I have found them much more genuine than EK. EK has much much better IFE though.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by Platinum A332
I do admit that I do have quite a bias to RJ . But I have found them much more genuine than EK. EK has much much better IFE though.
RJ are fine I have no problems flying them when I have to..just unpolished. Boarding, lounge, cabin crew efficiency, creepy air marshals who stare you down each time you need to visit lav, and J seats which are not at all comfy are not so good points...otherwise they are extremely friendly, safe feeling, brand new planes in excellent condition and definately more genuine than EK!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.