Wiki Posts
Search

Jetstar cabin bags - how strict?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2012, 3:40 am
Original Poster

First time post, hello

I have searched, but found quite ancient answers, and need an up-to-date answer, if possible...

We are flying Jetstar Brisbane to Sydney (and return) next week and have cabin luggage international size, but Jetstar measurements are slightly smaller than international for cabin luggage.

Our cabin bags fit their measurements if we don't measure the length to the end of the wheels, but just measure the bag itself. The extra few cm that the wheels stick out the bottom and the handle at the top might mean we have to check the bags.

In an old post it seems they used to be rather forgiving of this, but I wonder how things stand in 2012?
Old Jul 4, 2012, 5:31 am

Given my experience with Jetstar, you should be fine since they most likely will just take a cursory look at your bag. There is however a chance that the agent is paying more attention. If it seems to be too heavy, they will weight it. At that point they may also check the dimensions.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 6:20 am
Original Poster

Thanks. We are allowed 10kg in cabin (luggage and handbag combined) so weight will not be an issue, just that little extra in measurement totals (W + L + D).

I just don't want to pay for three cabin bags to be checked at the airport. I'm going to get our son to wait for ten minutes in the car park when he drops us off and if we have to check any bags, I'll run out and throw the contents of three cabin bags into one suitcase. I don't mind paying a little extra per bag but I read somewhere that last minute checking in of bags can be $40 per bag. I'll check again tomorrow to see where I read that, but I'm not going to pay $40 x 3 (and the same on our return) when I can transfer to one bag and pay once.

Anyway, thanks for the quick response.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 9:39 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
smithersboy, welcome to FlyerTalk. As this is specific to Jetstar, a Qantas subsidiary, I'll move this thread to FlyerTalk's dedicated Qantas forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 3:47 pm

Programs: QF P1 + LTG VA Plat, AA nothing, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond

Hi smithersboy. I don't know the official answer but I have flown Jetstar many times from BNE and never had my cabin baggage weighed or sized.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I've packed (flying out tomorrow). Will get one of our sons who drives us to the airport to hang about for ten minutes (drive the big loop) and if we have trouble, I'll tip everything into one larger case.

I'm thinking we will be fine...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.