30 minute turnaround at KUL with 3K

Old May 7, 2012, 5:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF SG
30 minute turnaround at KUL with 3K

So yesterday I got an email from Jetstar - bonus 2000 QFF points for international flights with a plus bundle attached...

Combined with a $0 fare SIN-KUL vv means 3000 QFF points (and 20SCs) for roughly $45 each way after taxes and bundle. It turns out I will be in SIN in late June for one day. 3K seems to fly SIN-KUL and back 3 times a day, with a 30 minute turn-around at KUL on the same aircraft (or maybe not?). Cancellation/delay rates seems to be surprisingly low on this route. Will I run into any issues booking all three returns, with OLCI/no checked baggage? Any strategies for an inquisitive immigration officer in SIN who might notice I don't have a Malaysia stamp on my passport?

Thanks in advance.
Old May 7, 2012, 6:09 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Wouldn't expect so... SIN immigration normally don't care, and so long as you can get all boarding passes at once all ok.
That said if you are only after $/pts, the bonus offers on Aussie credit cards are better value.
Old May 7, 2012, 6:34 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
You will have no problem at all. As moa999 mentioned, SIN Immigration will not search for other countries' stamps. You will have to clear Security in KUL (at the gate). Double check, what Jeststar cut off time is for gate security clearance.
Old May 8, 2012, 5:17 pm

I tried a direct turn around in march in KUL and failed, since nobody wanted to hand out the return boarding pass in SIN. If you are able to get it, then you are fine
Old May 9, 2012, 8:07 am

Programs: Plastic Fantastic! - QF, DJ, AF, NZ, DL etc..
Originally Posted by sideswipes
Cancellation/delay rates seems to be surprisingly low on this route.

Thanks in advance.

Its the same plane doing a yo-yo up and down from SIN? It was when I did this... And no problems as long as return flights on same PNR.. All boarding passes should be issued at SIN.
Old May 9, 2012, 6:52 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by david870mdg
Its the same plane doing a yo-yo up and down from SIN? It was when I did this... And no problems as long as return flights on same PNR.. All boarding passes should be issued at SIN.
AFAIK there is now a 3 hour minimum connection time built into the booking engine.
Can you check in online with JQ international?
Old Sep 6, 2016, 6:28 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
any recent experience on this? i want to do this to meet my sectors as SC itself is not an issue. can i print my own boarding pass from home? i am doing this as part of business class run to Sin.

also is KUL airport like SIN where arriving and departing pax are mixed in same concourse and only security is at the gate? i once did tunaround at jarkata and dragon at transfer.area almost arrested me for doing a turn around so i want to only go to airport like SIN for same day turnaround
Old Sep 6, 2016, 8:07 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Originally Posted by fakecd
any recent experience on this? i want to do this to meet my sectors as SC itself is not an issue. can i print my own boarding pass from home? i am doing this as part of business class run to Sin.

also is KUL airport like SIN where arriving and departing pax are mixed in same concourse and only security is at the gate? i once did tunaround at jarkata and dragon at transfer.area almost arrested me for doing a turn around so i want to only go to airport like SIN for same day turnaround
KUL is co-mingled like SIN
Old Oct 22, 2016, 3:18 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
KUL turnaround on 3K at KLIA2 terminal, not the easiest

So I did the 3k SIN-KUL-SIN turnaround with 3k683/3K684 combination with 30min connection time. My answer is, you are pushing it and I would avoid it next time even I successfully completed this.

The biggest issue is, I was under the impression that KUL was comingled like SIN where arrival/departure traffic shares same terminal/area such that once you disembark the 3K flight arriving to KUL it was matter of literally turn left (or right), re-enter the boarding gate area with security check and wola you go. Whilst this is what I was told from various reports/private accounts, my KLIA2 was anything but close to that.

I can't say if KLIA main terminal is same as SIN but 3K flight arrives to the new KLIA2. And this is where issue is. upon disembarking, I was lead to seperate corridor for arrival pax straight to immigration/transit area. It was a long-terminal so I literally ran... when I got to the center of terminal there was "international connection", I headed there. You first pass that security. ... then you keep going, at which point you arrive at the 2nd security screening where other "real" pax departing KLIA2 is subjected to... once you pass this, than you have to dash back to the gate.

I think with much of shear luck I managed this 30min turnaround on the 683/684 combination due to following luck factors:
1) it was 8am arrival and both security checks didn't have any pax line up of any extent
2) nobody asked me for my boarding pass at the security area, no question was asked.
3) I was seated at row 6 so I was first of few to disembark. And the arrival gate was at L5 in KLIA2 which is relatively close to the security for a quick 500m sprint.
4) I had internet checkin boarding pass printed.

so my word of advise for those who do this, I can offer following
1) anyone who does a SIN-KUL turn-around on 3K is purely for qantas SC. Go for the "Starter MAX" combo that earns you 20SC instead of 10SC, and seats you even closer to the front row... the additional you pay for "starter max" is well worth it considering you gain extra 10SC. Also IF You miss your flight the change is still free so you can be on next flight
2) try to do it early morning (i.e. the 683 departure from SIN) so if anything goes wrong there are 3 more 3k flights to catch back. presumably airport is quieter too.
3) I was doing this as part of TPE-HKG-SIN [then KUL turn-around]-HKG-TPE iteinery. I entered SIN after KUL turn-around, i did say my port of embarkation of "KUL" even my "residence" is in HK and I had no question asked at Singapore entry. But I hold Japanese passport so maybe they didn't care where I boarded.

Anyways KLIA2 is such a crappy terminal i don't want to spend 3hours for next 3K flight... i think i will not do this SIN-KUL turn around next time, instead find a holiday destination on 3K.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 8:13 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Yes 3K moved to KLIA2 in mid-2015 and as you say it is a separated terminal and can have some very long walks (particularly from the international satellite).

The new SIN T4 which opens next year is separated as well.

Glad you made the turn - but can well imagine the exercise involved.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.