Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

CPT - wait for QF sale or risk MH booking?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CPT - wait for QF sale or risk MH booking?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2012, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
Question CPT - wait for QF sale or risk MH booking?

Looking at CPT in Dec for a week this year.
QF fares are outrageous in J(nearly 9K!) but I want to stick with OW so if I found a good MH sale fare and booked now but they didn't join OW till after my booking would my res be honoured with points and sc's considering it was booked before MH's official full membership?

Any clue anyone- thanks!
CJ
Old Feb 27, 2012, 9:12 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by Cedar Jet
QF fares are outrageous in J(nearly 9K!) but I want to stick with OW so if I found a good MH sale fare and booked now but they didn't join OW till after my booking would my res be honoured with points and sc's considering it was booked before MH's official full membership?

Any clue anyone- thanks!
CJ
AFAIK no if the flight was before their join date.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 2:46 am
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
What if the OP waited until after they join OneWorld before putting their frequent flyer number on the booking?
Old Feb 28, 2012, 3:00 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Might be worth looking at the CX prices exTPE

As long as MH joins OW BEFORE the dates of the flights I would think you would be fine. With a December holiday, current rumors are seemingly on your side.

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Feb 28, 2012, 4:35 am

Programs: QF Plat, VA Plat, MH Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Sorry to put a damper on your plans but MH has stopped flying to CPT as of this month.
As for when they are planning to join OW, it is aimed for August.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 1:49 am

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
QF fares are outrageous in J
Slightly OT, biz award availability is quite good on the PER-JNB run with SA and the vestigial BMI has some buy-miles bargains.

Looking at 2 random days in December it's wide open for 2 seats

[KVS Availability Tool 6.9.4/Diamond - SNT: Awards/StarAlliance/JP-ANA-SP1]
Code:
PER  Perth WA AU [YPPH]
CPT  Cape Town Intl ZA [FACT]
WED  12 Dec 2012 | 2 Seats

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  -------------
SA         281     PER   23:45     JNB   05:05 +1  343  0   FS/  CS+  YS+
 -> SA     307     JNB   07:00 +1  CPT   09:10 +1  738  0   FS/  CS+  YS-
SA         281     PER   23:45     JNB   05:05 +1  343  0   FS/  CS+  YS+
 -> SA     313     JNB   08:00 +1  CPT   10:10 +1  738  0   FS/  CS+  YS-
[KVS Availability Tool 6.9.4/Diamond - SNT: Awards/StarAlliance/JP-ANA-SP1]
Code:
CPT  Cape Town Intl ZA [FACT]
PER  Perth WA AU [YPPH]
MON  17 Dec 2012 | 2 Seats

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  -------------
SA         354     CPT   17:05     JNB   19:05     346  0   FS/  CS+  YS+
 -> SA     280     JNB   22:05     PER   13:25 +1  343  0   FS/  CS+  YS-
SA         362     CPT   17:55     JNB   19:55     738  0   FS/  CS+  YS-
 -> SA     280     JNB   22:05     PER   13:25 +1  343  0   FS/  CS+  YS-
Oh and you can book these as the codeshare with QF points
Old Feb 29, 2012, 4:24 am

Programs: QF Platinum & Lifetime Gold

Any clue anyone- thanks!
CJ

Fares tend to be much better priced to JNB rather than CPT. One you are in JNB its a short hop down to CPT on BA or SAA.

I am not certain how much your MH J fare is, but about a year ago I booked a MEL-JNB/ CPT fare on SQ first class Oz-SIN, business class SIN-JNB/CPT for about $8500. Much better value than spending $9K with QF to travel in J. QF generally bring out J sale fares to JNB in around October each year for around $6500.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 4:45 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by QF Lad
I am not certain how much your MH J fare is, but about a year ago I booked a MEL-JNB/ CPT fare on SQ first class Oz-SIN, business class SIN-JNB/CPT for about $8500. Much better value than spending $9K with QF to travel in J. QF generally bring out J sale fares to JNB in around October each year for around $6500.
Better value is to go with *A on the LH mini RTW fare and use JNB as a stopover. Eg: SYD-(UA)-SFO-(LH)-FRA-(LH)-JNB-(QF or SA)-SYD all for under $7000 in Biz. Or substitute QF and go via LAX to join into LH's flight (but SFo-FRA is better as they operate their 380 on that route).
Old Feb 29, 2012, 4:54 am

Programs: QF Platinum & Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by og
Better value is to go with *A on the LH mini RTW fare and use JNB as a stopover. Eg: SYD-(UA)-SFO-(LH)-FRA-(LH)-JNB-(QF or SA)-SYD all for under $7000 in Biz. Or substitute QF and go via LAX to join into LH's flight (but SFo-FRA is better as they operate their 380 on that route).
The LH RTW certainly gets you a lot more flying for the same price. Are you a fan of LH J?
Old Feb 29, 2012, 8:54 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by QF Lad
The LH RTW certainly gets you a lot more flying for the same price. Are you a fan of LH J?
LH J is very ... well umm .. methodically German. But it does pay very well into the UA MP program even though their sloping J seats are crap and nowhere as comfortable as UA's flat bed seats. Combining QF flights with LH's on the LH RTW keeps my QF and UA programs happily topped up with points and status.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

My QF/OW status is my priority I have, however, just discovered I book on South African Aiways and earn points and SC! with QF..the fares on SA tend to be 2-3 K less in J..problem solved - I think though, as with RJ and CX, I may miss out on status bonus points with SA

What are SA like to fly with in J?

Thanks for the replies.
CJ
Old Mar 1, 2012, 4:06 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
My QF/OW status is my priority I have, however, just discovered I book on South African Aiways and earn points and SC! with QF..the fares on SA tend to be 2-3 K less in J..problem solved - I think though, as with RJ and CX, I may miss out on status bonus points with SA

What are SA like to fly with in J?

Thanks for the replies.
CJ
My understanding is you need to book on the QF codeshare (operated by SA) for it to credit points and SC.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 4:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Blackcloud
My understanding is you need to book on the QF codeshare (operated by SA) for it to credit points and SC.
You can earn points on the SA flight number but no Status Credits

http://www.qantas.com.au/fflyer/dyn/...m/terms#jump25
Old Mar 1, 2012, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
You can earn points on the SA flight number but no Status Credits

http://www.qantas.com.au/fflyer/dyn/...m/terms#jump25
Yep, common on QF partners, points but not SC and the only way to get SC and status bonus (and the Mr Squiggle) is for the booking to be on the QF code.
I just wanted Cedar Jet to understand that so may be I should just have stated NO Qantas Status Credit on the SA flight.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Blackcloud
Yep, common on QF partners, points but not SC and the only way to get SC and status bonus (and the Mr Squiggle) is for the booking to be on the QF code.
I just wanted Cedar Jet to understand that so may be I should just have stated NO Qantas Status Credit on the SA flight.
Thanks BC. Apreciated.

CJ

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.