Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Stick with Qantas or a large carrier for SYD-MEL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2011, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

I recently booked on Tiger Airways for SYD-MEL-SYD, and now seriously wish I had booked on Qantas or another major carrier.

Tiger Airways' Australian services are still suspended after more than a month due to safety concerns raised by the Australian certification authorities. There were also customer service problems in the form of very long flight delays and poor communications.

Unfortunately Tiger won't agree to cancel my reservations and make a full refund. They basically have my money, are now a provenly unsafe airline, and are leaving me in limbo pending permission for them to fly again. Not a nice situation.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 8:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If Tiger does not restart operations, then they will refund

If they do restart, then they must have satisfied CASA that their operations are safe and so no safety reason to not fly with them

Unless booked to fly with them imminently, I wouldn't worry too much and wait and see what happens tomorrow
Old Aug 2, 2011, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Other factors

Dave, my flights are in a peak (school break) vacation period, and I just can't wait for Tiger to cancel or not cancel my flights. I need to make other arrangements IN CASE they cancel at short notice.

They have already had to defer resuming operations at least twice. Put it another way: they two or three times gave dates by when they expected to satisfy the authorities, and failed to meet them. As I write now, they have dangled an expectation of flying again in front of the public - for August 1 (and it didn't happen), and for August 5 (which is too late for people to easily make alternative arrangements at low fares if it does not happen).

They also advised of updates to their status for "later in the week", and it didn't happen.

Regardless of CASA's blessing to start flying again, if it ever comes, I don't think you can change a safety culture in a few weeks. I've been in aerospace so long that I can almost predict that further problems will come to light as they rush to tackle those already identified to cover their behinds, leaving others unattended to.

Clearly they haven't changed their customer service culture either, or they would allow pax who made reservations before the service disruption to cancel with a full refund on request. They should accept they will have to rebuild customer confidence with people who want to place bookings after flights are allowed to resume. This is not a minor matter of poor records keeping, or a delayed service action. This is a systemic set of problems causing over a MONTH of grounding (so far).

Right now, they are just taking advantage of me, and leaving me in limbo.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 11:52 pm

Qantas.Off the topic a little They are cashing in big time on Tiger's Suspension by jacking up the prices big time.I only discovered this the other day when my Brother needed to come from Melbourne to Adelaide and back again to go visit the doctors $400 for next week.That's even dearer than the Overland,Greyhound or Virgin Australia or Firefly Buses Go Figure that one out
DJ if you time it right and don't have luggage can be done for less than $300.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 2:27 am

Programs: DJ Velocity, Skywards
Originally Posted by LOLABUNNY
I only discovered this the other day when my Brother needed to come from Melbourne to Adelaide and back again to go visit the doctors.
We do have doctors in Melbourne, just get a referral from the doctor in Adelaide, we can treat most things here.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 8:03 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Red, SQ, HH Silver, Marriott Gold.
Regarding Tiger, it rather depends on when the holidays are. Given they may start up again soon, it might be worth waiting a week or so. But personally I would never trust or fly them. If you need to be certain book on Qantas or Virgin.

Regarding Qantas fares MEL/ADL I notice they are often on the high side, but I presume this is due to demand.
But for example on Wednesday next week you can do a return trip on Qantas for $220.
I do not see Qantas gouging because Tiger are not flying.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Tiger Airways and safety

Rick said about Tiger Airways: "But personally I would never trust or fly them."

That pretty well is what I'm thinking.

I took a look at what CASA flagged them for, as best I could find out. Of course, it's well known that more than one of their flights descended too low when approaching MEL. By itself, that's not a biggie, because ATC could catch it. Some flights weren't affected anyway if the crew never descended below the minimum altitude because their flight path never took them there. But what came to light is that Tiger Airways weren't maintaining a current set of "flight rules" on their airplanes, so were programming the flight director with the wrong information. This IS a biggie, because it calls into question the entire flow of information from manufacturer and certification authority and airports to Tiger's operations.

What could that mean? Examples (admittedly conjectural): a runway closure unknown to the crews; a change in the AFM (airplane flight manual) with new field length data at a high temperature condition; a change in operating procedure in severe turbulence.

As CASA probed for information, they found there was more and more to look at, and Tiger was sounding cooperative without being sufficiently responsive. I can post the link if anyone is interested.

So I fear that the errors were quite severe, and pervasive enough to require the almost-unheard-of grounding for a month (so far) by CASA. When coupled with a poor customer service record concerning delayed and cancelled flights with downright uncaring communications to passengers, I get the picture of an airline who thought that flying cheap allowed them to get away with just about anything. And they did - for a while. What finally irks me is that they are refusing to allow all pax who booked before this fiasco to cancel and get a full refund. The attitude is: "We got your money, and if we can keep it we will. Never mind that you booked on an airline with an unquestioned safety record, and now an unsafe history is evident."

Last edited by mayfam; Aug 3, 2011 at 9:18 am Reason: Typo
Old Aug 3, 2011, 9:44 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by mayfam
I recently booked on Tiger Airways for SYD-MEL-SYD, and now seriously wish I had booked on Qantas or another major carrier.

Tiger Airways' Australian services are still suspended after more than a month due to safety concerns raised by the Australian certification authorities. There were also customer service problems in the form of very long flight delays and poor communications.

Unfortunately Tiger won't agree to cancel my reservations and make a full refund. They basically have my money, are now a provenly unsafe airline, and are leaving me in limbo pending permission for them to fly again. Not a nice situation.
I assume you have no Travel Insurance?
Unfortunatly not a lot that can be done other than a)Wait for the court ruling and go from there.
b) Go ahead and book on another carrier, and then see what happens to money later.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Got money back

Well, I tried to cancel, but their website could not process it. I sent them a letter confirming the cancellation. No reply. I made other travel arrangements.

They wouldn't refund, but I appealed to the credit card company. In the end, I got the charges reversed.

I will never book on Tiger again - even if they are now safe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.