Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Dear Qantas - I am tired of these 20 minute plus wait times

Dear Qantas - I am tired of these 20 minute plus wait times

Old Apr 5, 2011, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I give you even more novel idea. Go and fly more and become a WP. I have rarely had to hold on the phone, except in exceptional circumstance.

Well that's about the only solid benefit left as a WP anyway (exaggerated comment, no need for factual corrections about 100% extra points etc).
I credit my miles to AA as they have a far better redemption.

Considering I personally paid for 11 J and F tickets last year, long haul, on QF I think this service sucks.

I do not travel on somebody elses/employers corporate tab in premium cabins so if there is anybody on here who has a right to complain about rubbish service, it is those who pay for it themselves.

Money shouldn't even be a determinent of service thou, a leisure traveller on a $100 fare shouldn't have to wait 45 mins either.

Last edited by 747-444; Apr 6, 2011 at 2:07 am
Old Apr 6, 2011, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by deeruck
Yep, sorry, my point was that it wasn't just the "welcome message" that changed but also the physical call centre.
The WP number is nothing more than a greeting. If you enter a non-WP number into the number, it'll put you in the non-WP queue.

Once upon a time, the WP number was separate and a 'secret' number known only to those who were privy to the Illuminati Secret Handshake

These days, it's just a way of making WP's feel special by saying "Welcome to Qantas Platinum".

In the days of IVR's, the WP priority number is obsolete. As mentioned, your call is routed based on the status of the FF number entered, not the phone number dialled.

If I dial the normal 131313 number with my WP number, I'll get through to a premium desk person in the same amount of time
Old Jun 9, 2011, 10:26 pm

Thumbs down Outrageous hold times

Three times today I have waited on the phone to try and reach Qantas to make a booking. Three times today I have had to give up at the 25 minute mark.

I have no choice, I need to make an unaccompanied minor booking.

I try to avoid booking Qantas for this reason - and go with Virgin Blue - they'll usually answer in the first 5 mins.

Qantas provide a terrible service but don't offer any options for self-service - particularly annoying if you're a working parent.

Don't fly Qantas. Book with Virgin Blue.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 11:00 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by WorkingMum
Three times today I have waited on the phone to try and reach Qantas to make a booking. Three times today I have had to give up at the 25 minute mark.

I try to avoid booking Qantas for this reason - and go with Virgin Blue - they'll usually answer in the first 5 mins.

Qantas provide a terrible service but don't offer any options for self-service - particularly annoying if you're a working parent.

I am assuming that you do not have a high FFP status with Qantas and therefore subject to the hold time. I find it more annoying the go through the JQ call centre epxlain what I want then to have the call drop off.
Are travel agents able to book UM? If so let them go through the rigmorole of dealing with QF.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 11:08 pm
Original Poster

I accept that I have no status with Qantas, but what I don't find acceptable are these wait times. Yes some people just want a $300 round trip to Sydney and there isn't much money in that for QF.

But there is a reason I don't post miles to QF because their program sucks. I still buy a whole host of premium tickets each year for my partner and I on QF.

The only QF miles I have are credited through my credit card.

I don't find it OK, that I am about to go to Europe in J and my partner to South Africa in J, which has cost me a lot for these 2 tickets and I call them and get shafted on massive weight times.

Today I had a meeting at 11am, and Qantas answered at 10:55 after calling them before 10:30 - I actually got to the meeting and said to everybody they can either start with out me or wait until I get there because I am NOT hanging up to wait another 30 mins. Was a productive meeting as well.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 11:22 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
It is school holidays, a peak time for calls into QF, and any other carrier for that matter.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 11:23 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by 747-444
I accept that I have no status with Qantas, but what I don't find acceptable are these wait times. Yes some people just want a $300 round trip to Sydney and there isn't much money in that for QF.

But there is a reason I don't post miles to QF because their program sucks. .
The QF program may suck, but it doesn't suck when you get a very very short phone wait time. Status counts sometimes . This might tip the balance in favour of putting points into QF and getting status. Time is money as you clearly identify.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 12:51 am

Programs: QF SG,Velocity WP, HI Diamond, Accor Platinum

Welcome to FT WorkingMum!
Old Jun 11, 2011, 2:27 am

Programs: Skypass, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Asiana, Krisflyer, Etihad Guest, Velocity Rewards
Originally Posted by 747-444
Every time I phone them I seem to wait at least 20 minutes, the other day it was 45.

I actually have stuff to do, and I can't change some of my tickets on your website.

Here is a novel idea, hire some more call center staff.
Meh - long hold times are a pain and I understand where you are coming from, but it's a fact of life these days.

What can you do?
Old Jun 11, 2011, 2:40 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by og
The QF program may suck, but it doesn't suck when you get a very very short phone wait time. Status counts sometimes . This might tip the balance in favour of putting points into QF and getting status. Time is money as you clearly identify.
As a SG, haven't had a waiting time longer than a couple of mins for as long as I can remeber.
to the OP, I would suggest if you value a short waiting time on the phone, then credit the miles to QF. Like it or not you can't have your cake and eat it as well
Old Jun 11, 2011, 2:52 am

Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
It's the same if you call a bank or Telstra/Optus/VHA etc - it is an unfortunate fact of life these days.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 7:49 am

Programs: QF Bronze, Velocity
Suspect this is ash cloud related but I accidentally disconnect after a hold of 210 minutes today after ringing 131313 and entering my nb number.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 8:23 am

Welcome to FT

I don't think it would matter which airline you called today - with thousands of displaced passengers, you'll experience longer than usual wait times with all airlines. Both Qantas and Virgin have this message, and the reason when you call them, so you shouldn't be too surprised.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 6:43 pm

Unhappy

Ive been on hold for 4 hrs to book an elal int flight
still waiting

called the US number and got answered in 4 mins but the girl(in NZ of all places, was useless so still on hold on original landline call

maybe they need to organise extra staff

called sing air and got on in 4 mins

still on hold

Last edited by tinkybelle; Jun 13, 2011 at 7:26 pm
Old Jun 15, 2011, 8:32 pm

Programs: Plastic Fantastic! - QF, DJ, AF, NZ, DL etc..
Qf answered my calls in 4 seconds during recent volcano disurptions.
Yes i am WP so jumped the queue.
But after 3+ hours on hold over the past days with other airlines..
This was a no brainer and the tickets were purchased..

o/t have been treated very badly regarding excessive wait times from an insurance company with which i have a claim, only to find out that if I am ringing to purcahse a new policy I will jump the queue instantly, did this and wait times reduced.. each to their own?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.