Wiki Posts
Search

Time to abolish amenity kits

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2010, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH Sen, Skyteam Elite
Time to abolish amenity kits

QF amenitiy plastic kits in Y class are an environmental hazard; few passengers need or use them and it would be much better to provide toothbrush or other amenities on request only. All airlines should do this, in all classes; I was just struck by the ugly QF kit on a recent flight.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Agree. Considering the big push to be environmentally friendly for domestic flights (recycling lots of stuff) the 'new' plastic kits in economy are prrtty bad. They could have used a paper sleeve to put the contents in.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 7:21 pm

Programs: QF. UA. Avis. AMEX.
There are lots of things which are an environmental issue. The biggest is air traffic control and the old system of navigation points. The next biggest is the inflight magazine, duty free magazine and IFE magazine. It take 4L of water to produce 1 sheet of A4 paper, the dye in the ink is toxic and the additional weight carried on every flight is a waste of fuel. I would say the third biggest in Australia is Sydney airport, the curfew, noise abatement procedures and the cap on flight movements.

Dealing with these 3 issues alone would provide greater benefit than punishing every PAX in every class as you are suggesting.

I would also say the new lack of a free cell phone pickup parking lot at Sydney airport is another environmental hazard. Instead of having cars parked up instead they circle waiting for people to arrive curb side.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 8:09 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by nonce
There are lots of things which are an environmental issue. The biggest is air traffic control and the old system of navigation points. The next biggest is the inflight magazine, duty free magazine and IFE magazine. It take 4L of water to produce 1 sheet of A4 paper, the dye in the ink is toxic and the additional weight carried on every flight is a waste of fuel. I would say the third biggest in Australia is Sydney airport, the curfew, noise abatement procedures and the cap on flight movements.

Dealing with these 3 issues alone would provide greater benefit than punishing every PAX in every class as you are suggesting.

I would also say the new lack of a free cell phone pickup parking lot at Sydney airport is another environmental hazard. Instead of having cars parked up instead they circle waiting for people to arrive curb side.
I agree with what you say.
For many the amenity pack is a holiday souvenir and have various uses for the content. It has been many years since I have travelled long haul in economy, but I remember many people wearing socks, eye masks and toothbrush in hand waiting for their time in the lavatories.
When QF for business class had the amentities on request, it appears customers were not too happy and QF changed it.
oh nonce there are free pick up areas in domestic and international terminal 15 minutes free parking.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 11:37 pm

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
For thos infrequent leisure travellers in Y it is a novelty gift and gives them a sounvenir of the trip.

For regular often fliers in longhaul Y just wave the FA past and do not take it. Easy as that. And if you are that green why are you flying?

Last edited by Lonely Flyer; Nov 20, 2010 at 12:52 am
Old Nov 20, 2010, 12:37 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by Madame R
QF amenitiy plastic kits in Y class are an environmental hazard; few passengers need or use them and it would be much better to provide toothbrush or other amenities on request only. All airlines should do this, in all classes; I was just struck by the ugly QF kit on a recent flight.
WOW, GreenPeace joining FlyerTalk??? That could be end of it...
Old Nov 20, 2010, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Lonely Flyer

For regular often fliers in longhaul Y just wave the FA past and do not take it. Easy as that. And if you are that green why are you flying?
Most of the time I finf these already on the seat when I get there.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by Madame R
They're pretty basic, but I don't know if I'd put them too far up the environmental-hazard list... they do have their uses, as others here have mentioned.

I can see where you're coming from though with them being an on-request item, sorta like headsets... the thing is, I reckon if the flight crew went down the aisle offering them out after take-off 99% of passengers would say "Yes" (and the 1% would be fussy folk like me who bring our own!), so the 'saving' impact is minimal. And I think the impact if hundreds of passengers throughout the journey were buzzing call-buttons for them would lessen overall service.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 3:46 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Dont forget the plastic knives fiasco. That deserves a high place on the enviro black list.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 7:04 am

Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

CX Y longhaul this week had no amenity kits. QF transpac Y last month had none in either direction. Perhaps they hadnt been loaded, but at the time I presumed they'd been scrapped as no one uses them and they were on request only. I def think they are a waste, most people bring their own toothbrush etc.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 11:03 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by djsflynn
I can see where you're coming from though with them being an on-request item, sorta like headsets... the thing is, I reckon if the flight crew went down the aisle offering them out after take-off 99% of passengers would say "Yes"
I would prefer the flight crew to stay on the flight deck where they belong, and leave such tasks to the cabin crew.

Dave
Old Nov 20, 2010, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by thadocta
I would prefer the flight crew to stay on the flight deck where they belong, and leave such tasks to the cabin crew.

Dave
I have no problem with this. To me it's similar to the PIC saying goodbye at the door when de planing. Just a personal touch. May also make some ill at ease flyers a little more comfortable.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 12:00 am

Programs: QF. UA. Avis. AMEX.
CX no longer offer amenities kits in Y. They were culled as a cost saving measure but now are being touted as a green measure. Sounds like green washing if you ask me.

Blackcloud; It is impossible to use the 15 min free parking unless your PAX are already curbside. The parking is placed sufficient distance from the terminal that it takes longer than 15 min to enter the car park, park, walk to terminal locate PAX, return and exit. The cell phone parking lots they have in the US make far more sense. I guess at SYD that's the KK car park ;-)
Old Nov 21, 2010, 12:32 am

Programs: QF SG, AA Plat
I would support the removal of kits in all classes if it was replaced with a seatback card telling us what's available on request.

More likely they'll make them available on request but then not tell anyone about it
Old Nov 21, 2010, 12:59 am

Yes, they should save the money.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.