Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas to stop baggage interline for flights on seperate PNRs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2010, 2:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas Silver, Velocity Gold, Etihad Gold, Hhonors Gold

Looks like Qantas are going to stop interlining bags when bookings are made on different PNRs unless its to another Qantas or oneworld carrier.

From Wednesday 3 November 2010 customers holding two separate reservations (PNRs) for their journey will no longer be provided with through check or baggage interline through to their final travel destination.

Qantas will however, continue to provide this facility for customers connecting with Qantas flights and oneworld carriers (please note: other exemptions apply).
http://www.qantas.com.au/agents/dyn/qf/info/201010/1027
Old Oct 19, 2010, 6:05 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by babbyf
Looks like Qantas are going to stop interlining bags when bookings are made on different PNRs unless its to another Qantas or oneworld carrier.

http://www.qantas.com.au/agents/dyn/qf/info/201010/1027
This is a fair enough move, and neatly harmonises to BAs own policy.

I would not be surprised to see more OW carriers following this model.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 6:23 am

Programs: QF WP/LTG
Another enhancement of benefits. Now, when I fly between Sydney and KL and I buy SIN-KUL on SQ, I'll have to collect my bags and check them in again. Does QF have no idea who uses their planes? I'll never fly on QF again - I'll fly MH instead. Blah, blah </sarcasm>
Old Oct 19, 2010, 6:37 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AnonymousCoward
Another enhancement of benefits. Now, when I fly between Sydney and KL and I buy SIN-KUL on SQ, I'll have to collect my bags and check them in again. Does QF have no idea who uses their planes? I'll never fly on QF again - I'll fly MH instead. Blah, blah </sarcasm>
Noting the sarcasm, but have you done a search on SYD-KUL on the Qantas website lately? They are quite preapred to get that SQ flight onto the same ticket.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 10:02 am
Suspended

Programs: OWE, Hilton GOLD and counting
No you do not need to collect your bag. In Singapore airport transfer desk the SQ ground handling staff will check you in and retag your bag through their system.

But some other airports in North America would not have the facility like Japan, Singapore, Dubai, Bangkok and Hong Kong...I mean the transfer desk between arrivals and departures...So the effect is actually minimum to most flyers as long as you travel within the alliance or transit in one transfer enabled airports.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 1:55 pm

Programs: QFF WP (LTG), VA SG
I am booked in December to fly MEL-SYD-LAX.
I am then going to book a separate ticket to ICT (Qantas do not sell this destination, otherwise i would have booked it with them).
I have not bought this second ticket yet (was going to book it on F9 for about $150 US - AA's price is ~$290).
So now let me get this right - even though QF has an interline agreement with F9, now that I have a separate ticket, i will be required to recheck my 3 bags (which I get for free with Qantas) with F9 at LAX, costing me $90? I may as well book the more expensive AA ticket and get SC's, points and lounge access.
So is it then possible to merge these two PNR's so I don't have to fork out extra money?

Thanks!

Josh
Old Oct 19, 2010, 2:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Josh43
I am then going to book a separate ticket to ICT (Qantas do not sell this destination, otherwise i would have booked it with them).
I have not bought this second ticket yet (was going to book it on F9 for about $150 US - AA's price is ~$290).
So now let me get this right - even though QF has an interline agreement with F9, now that I have a separate ticket, i will be required to recheck my 3 bags (which I get for free with Qantas) with F9 at LAX, costing me $90? I may as well book the more expensive AA ticket and get SC's, points and lounge access.
So is it then possible to merge these two PNR's so I don't have to fork out extra money?

Thanks!

Josh
You can't merge PNRs.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 3:24 pm

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
Just make sure it is on the same ticket and IATA rules say that they have to interline.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 5:02 pm

Thanks!

Josh
Book it via a travel agent.

People seem to have forgotten what they are, but they exist, and good ones are also around. I use my TA to do all this so I have everything on one itinerary. For things like this, it's often cheaper than booking them separately too, but it does depend on the carrier. Certainly cheaper when I booked my MEL-LAX-BOS-DFW-LAX-MEL flight than doing it on the QF codeshares for LAX-BOS.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas Silver, Velocity Gold, Etihad Gold, Hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by IC6A
No you do not need to collect your bag. In Singapore airport transfer desk the SQ ground handling staff will check you in and retag your bag through their system.
How do they retag your bag if you haven't actually got your bag... and its circling around outside on the baggage carousel?
Old Oct 19, 2010, 6:38 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Thumbs down Shame

How pathetic to use volcanic disruptions as an excuse for this "improvement"... Shame on QF!!!
Old Oct 19, 2010, 6:39 pm

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
Please remember to open your TAG.

Last edited by Lonely Flyer; Oct 19, 2010 at 7:07 pm
Old Oct 19, 2010, 8:53 pm

Programs: QF WP, QF Lifetime Gold, SQ/*G, Velocity Rewards, IHG Rewards, Hilton Honours, Accor Le Club

Thanks!

Josh

Assuming you are connecting same day, try ringing QF and ask to add F9 flight to your QF PNR. I managed to do this with a LAX-ORD AA flight that was separately booked by TA direct with AA after I had booked SYD-LAX online (much cheaper than TA could manage).
Old Oct 19, 2010, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Well there goes the motivation to use Qantas for my domestic connections to United international.

Not only does the interlining go away, but so does the access to the SYD QF bus from domestic to international in most cases...

Goodbye Qantas. It's been fun.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by docbert
Not only does the interlining go away, but so does the access to the SYD QF bus from domestic to international in most cases...
Incorrect! One simply needs to be inbound/outbound on a QF/oneworld flight number to use this service.

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airl...nal1/global/en

A shuttle bus service is available to passengers that are travelling or have travelled on a Qantas flight (including codeshare flights) or oneworld flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.