Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas to stop baggage interline for flights on seperate PNRs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas to stop baggage interline for flights on seperate PNRs

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2010, 11:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas Silver, Velocity Gold, Etihad Gold, Hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by serfty
Incorrect! One simply needs to be inbound/outbound on a QF/oneworld flight number to use this service.
If they are no longer interlining bags, you would have to pick up your bags landside... and can't use the Qantas bus which is airside.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by babbyf
If they are no longer interlining bags, you would have to pick up your bags landside... and can't use the Qantas bus which is airside.
True, I was not thinking about bags as I rarely check any.

All the more reason to consider travelling HLO ...
Old Oct 19, 2010, 11:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LifeTimeBronze
Assuming you are connecting same day, try ringing QF and ask to add F9 flight to your QF PNR. I managed to do this with a LAX-ORD AA flight that was separately booked by TA direct with AA after I had booked SYD-LAX online (much cheaper than TA could manage).
That would only add an information sector to reference that you are travelling onwards on F9; it will not add it to the itinerary and will still be an unrelated sector for which baggage service is not provided

Dave
Old Oct 19, 2010, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by docbert
Well there goes the motivation to use Qantas for my domestic connections to United international.

Not only does the interlining go away, but so does the access to the SYD QF bus from domestic to international in most cases...

Goodbye Qantas. It's been fun.
or, as they are banking on I suspect, that people will be encouraged to book Qantas onwards

Dave
Old Oct 19, 2010, 11:36 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
or, as they are banking on I suspect, that people will be encouraged to book Qantas onwards

Dave
Which is quite improbable considering that I can get two business class tickets to Europe (or even mini RTWs) on LH/LX for a cost of one on QF… But it is nearly sure, I will not use them for connecting from HBA any more…
Old Oct 20, 2010, 12:57 am

Originally Posted by vbroucek
Which is quite improbable considering that I can get two business class tickets to Europe (or even mini RTWs) on LH/LX for a cost of one on QF… But it is nearly sure, I will not use them for connecting from HBA any more…
Just that their changes seem to be to penalise people who use other airlines

Dave
Old Oct 20, 2010, 1:57 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Just that their changes seem to be to penalise people who use other airlines

Dave
Don't think so - they have virtual monopoly here (if you do not count low cost carriers), so this behaviour could be considered anticompetetive...

I just hope that other carriers will do the same to them...
Old Oct 20, 2010, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by vbroucek
Don't think so - they have virtual monopoly here (if you do not count low cost carriers), so this behaviour could be considered anticompetetive...

I just hope that other carriers will do the same to them...
Virgin Blue is not really a low cost carrier

Dave
Old Oct 20, 2010, 2:47 am

Programs: QF WP, QF Lifetime Gold, SQ/*G, Velocity Rewards, IHG Rewards, Hilton Honours, Accor Le Club
That would only add an information sector to reference that you are travelling onwards on F9; it will not add it to the itinerary and will still be an unrelated sector for which baggage service is not provided

Dave
Hmm .. maybe so, but Your Bookings on QFF and Itinerary on checkmytrip both show the additional flight under the same PNR.

Admittedly the connecting flight is AA. Anyway, it all happens in 2 weeks; I'll report back.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by LifeTimeBronze
Hmm .. maybe so, but Your Bookings on QFF and Itinerary on checkmytrip both show the additional flight under the same PNR.

Admittedly the connecting flight is AA. Anyway, it all happens in 2 weeks; I'll report back.
It will show as an information segment and does not make it a single itinerary; 2 individual bookings will stay as 2 individual bookings

A connection to a OW flight is an exception where they will check the luggage through

Dave
Old Oct 20, 2010, 3:29 am

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
Originally Posted by babbyf
How do they retag your bag if you haven't actually got your bag... and its circling around outside on the baggage carousel?
One of their groundstaff goes down to baggage claim, waits until most people coming off your inbound flight have collected their baggage and there are just a few bags remaining on the belt, and then starts looking at the tags to match up the numbers with the claim stubs you gave the transfer desk. This bag is then re-tagged and returned to the system for forwarding to the connecting flight.

Fairly straightforward process, really.

By the way, this is also how it works at HKG if you do a direct transit to the Macau ferries without entering Hong Kong itself.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 8:06 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
I get a sneaking suspicion that this is one of a series of announcements in an effort to harmonise processes across the alliance.

I have also heard a rumour of a very big announcement which will be made very soon, although I have been sworn to secrecy. (I still have my doubts over whether it will happen, but the person who told me should be 'in the know' so to speak).
Old Oct 20, 2010, 8:39 am

Programs: QF WP/LTG
Originally Posted by IC6A
No you do not need to collect your bag. In Singapore airport transfer desk the SQ ground handling staff will check you in and retag your bag through their system.
How do you get your bag?
EDIT: NVM - seen the followup post. That's a great service - but I've never seen it advertised in SG. I suppose I rarely check luggage so I've never really looked into it, but even still...

To the earlier poster
I didn't realise that QF now sells SYD-SIN-KUL on their website. They didn't a couple of years ago when I last had to book this.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 11:45 pm

Virgin Blue is not really a low cost carrier

Dave
That's your oppinion/experience against mine. IMHO, airline that charges even for a glass of water is LCC. Even EasyJet will give each pax .5 lt bottle of good water for free during boarding...

To be honest, I do not have too much against DJ and I use it domestically, but never used it when goign overseas - simply because QF always interlined my lugage...

My comment about monopoly was meant more regarding international travel. Basically, everyone going from HBA to anywhere in the world with someone else than QF has just lost wonderful service that QF provided for ages - this will hurt particularly in SYD... Good bye QF transfer bus between domestic and International terminals...
Old Oct 21, 2010, 12:52 am

Programs: QF WP, AC*G
I don't see the issue myself. I almost always use a TA to book international travel as they match prices for me and I always get my QF domestive flights on the same PNR as my international flights whether on separate tickets or not. I just don't see how this is going to be a problem except for those who book every sector separately as in most cases real and online TAs are booking as much as possible into one PNR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.