Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum Any Time Access going?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2010, 6:41 am

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
Originally Posted by d00t
Yours is the only post in 300+ on this topic that gives the green light for the proposed changes. You reading the threads at all?
Is he not able to give a view even if it is in the minority?
Old Oct 9, 2010, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Red Roo
Hi Everyone,

I’m from Qantas Marketing and wanted to make a few points in regards to the latest changes to Qantas Frequent Flyer and specifically for our Platinum Frequent Flyers.

It’s probably not too much of a surprise for you that we often monitor the frequent flyer forums and in the light of the changes we announced this week, we’d like to clarify a few points here on FT. ...
Hi, Red Roo, and a welcome to FT from me, too!

This specific thread doesn't directly concern me as I'm not a QF Platinum, but I did want to echo others in saying that it would be great to have a continuing official QF presence on FT. The corresponding three BA official presences on the BA board have been absolutely invaluable, and I think that it would be mutually beneficial for QF and FT members if this were to continue.

But I also want to echo some of the other sentiments here. I could easily be a QF Platinum now, but a succession of changes has gradually eroded the benefit of QFFF membership. Even the LTS which I earned seems now to be being gradually devalued itself while I am letting the rest of my paid QC membership run off. Probably, none of this would matter if QFFF was still simply a marketing support operation for the airline, as there remain some good reasons for flying QF metal when it's an option. But if QFFF is supposed to be a profitable business on its own, I no longer feel much of an imperative to be its customer, and I prefer to be a customer of competing FF schemes whose love I feel more. That can't be good for QFFF's business strategy.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by turtlemichael
Is he not able to give a view even if it is in the minority?
^ Especially when mw331's was both a reasoned and a reasonable view, even if others have different opinions.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 5:01 pm

Programs: QF WP, QF Lifetime Gold, SQ/*G, Velocity Rewards, IHG Rewards, Hilton Honours, Accor Le Club
... I have a dream ..

Despite my nickname, I'm currently WP and about to make it for it a second time due mainly to a yearly self funded extensive J international 'tour' and a weekly Qantaslink regional flight....

Why does QFF behave as it does ... coz it can ....

I have a dream: That ZL AND DJ will join *A so that I can earn domestic *A points (denied to me since AN downfall). Sometimes there is just no QF alternative.

I a have a dream: That there will be real FF competition in the domestic market that can linked to international earning as well. I just don't do enough international flying to split my earns between QFF & *A. To get any status, I need to stick with QFF. I don't consider the DJ/VS product real FF competition.

Just my 2c worth.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 6:50 pm

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
DJ joing *A and introducing a real J service would pose a tangible concern for QF, all those former AN afficiandos may well drift towards an alternative - I would.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 7:16 pm

Programs: QC Silver/OW Ruby
Originally Posted by VH-RMD
DJ joing *A and introducing a real J service would pose a tangible concern for QF, all those former AN afficiandos may well drift towards an alternative - I would.
I think if the alliance with Delta goes through that DJ might end up in Skyteam... I would think that Star is the least likely option at the moment as none of the airlines DJ is partnered with are *A. If MH would join/be allowed to join ST then Australia would be covered quite well.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
While *A may happen, I don't think it is on their radar. I think they are happy to go with a small number of partners, and try to offer recipricol agreements amongst that group.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 7:52 pm

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
By cutting the benefit of anytime access QF are tackling the symptoms rather than the cause. People use the QF lounge but fly on someone else's metal because they prefer the price, service etc. Those are the things which should be fixed by QF.

Cutting lounge access will not be enough to make me fly QF on all occasions and will reduce my long time loyalty to QF. My gut feel is that the costs to QF will outweigh the small benefit.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 8:29 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by mw331
but issues with Qantas lounges becoming overcrowded, especially during peak times, meant this change had to be made.
This decision had absolutley nothing to do with overcrowding, it is all about DJ declaring its desire to grab some of QF's business.

If it was about overcrowding if it did it would be easy to just restrict access to outside peak hours .... ie no access from opening to 9am and 3pm to 7pm Mon-Fri. It is all about giving you a reason to lock in all your flights on QF/JQ/OW. Drive those last few flights back to QF, not that you haven't already taken a bucket load of flights on the carriers already to get to WP!

Basically, if DJ hadn't decided to up to the ante for QF on domestic travel anytime access wouldn't have changed.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 12:49 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Velocity, *Alliance
Make that 2. I was top of the heap - diamond I think it was - when Ansett went under.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 6:36 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
It is just as likely that DJ would join Sky Team rather than Star Alliance. In fact with VN in ST and GA possibly joining soon, the ST options for Australian travellers could be quite interesting. ST could very easily become the dominant alliance within the region which is a big step from where the grouping were a few years ago.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 3:33 pm

Programs: QF Plat (Life Gold), SQ PPS
A number of observations:

1) I can only observe that is the first time, in my 10+ years on FT, that there has been any official QF response at all to any sort of controversy regarding rule changes; it would seem that they have been copping quite a bit of flak about this!

2) The allegation about QC lounges being congested because of Platinum members flying on other airlines sounds a bit strange to me. As far as I am aware, it is the major domestic lounges awhich are mainly affected by crowding; and at most of the domestic terminals which I am familiar with, accessing the QC while flying non-QF would be distinctly inconvenient to the point where I doubt many people would be motivated to do it. May I ask: is there any actual data to support this assertion, or is it just conjecture?

3) the announced "concession" does not actually amount to much in reality; from my own pre-Platinum days and anecdotal evidence of others up to the present, it is usually not too hard to gain "arrival" access to domestic lounges if you ask nicely, particularly if they aren't very busy.

4) if crowding in lounges is considered a serious issue, then why continue with the present quite generous policy on guests? It would make sense to amend the guest policy to "Guests must be travelling with the primary member, and on a QF/JQ/Oneworld flight" (ie no guests if you have no onward QF flight).

5) I notice in another thread that there is actually a brief discount deal for QC membership coming up! Ever heard of "sending the wrong message"...

Personally, I am still pretty miffed bout this, for the reasons outlined above and in my previous posts. Red Roo, you still have work to do!

Last edited by whughes3; Oct 10, 2010 at 4:59 pm
Old Oct 10, 2010, 5:22 pm

Simple solution if you are not technically 'flying'. Buy a fully refundable ticket, print your BP, cancel the ticket, use the QP. Easily done.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 6:30 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by drewbles
I know where you're getting at, but I wouldn't have thought that many of us here would be in that situation. I'd be more likely to wait in the lounge whilst waiting for my family to visit me (I'm the only one living on the east coast so they come over a few times a year) and would have thought this was what more people would use the access for.
Hi Redroo,

I'd appreciate an answer to drewbles question. Several family members are WP, and I often pick them up from SYD T2 for Qanatslink QF or T3 for QF. I drive to the airport, use Qantas Valet for one hour parking. Under your "improvements" I still can't access the lounge to wait for family and friends. While I may only use this anytime access once or twice a month, I highly value it.

As others have echoed there appears to be little distinction between SG and WP.

Frankly, for the supposed changes to really be an enhancement it should offer confirmed upgrades much earlier than other status levels such as AA does, or confirm them at time of booking. That, to me, would be an enhancement, not removing benefits, and making others higher SCs to achieve.

Last edited by m0hamed; Oct 10, 2010 at 6:44 pm
Old Oct 10, 2010, 6:36 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by under the clocks
Simple solution if you are not technically 'flying'. Buy a fully refundable ticket, print your BP, cancel the ticket, use the QP. Easily done.
Yes and gold will do just fine for that option!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.