Platinum Any Time Access going?

Old Oct 7, 2010, 8:11 pm

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Never used this "benefit", likely never will. Big deal.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 8:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by lokijuh
I am no longer pissed off. I am just giving up on QF, which is OK by them I assume and is definitely OK by me. There are just as good/better products out there that suit my needs (DJ, SQ, EK to name a few).
People actively going elsewhere is imo the one thing which they will take note of. Sending a whining mail about the changes and still continuing to use them is something that I would expect them to do nothing more than send a "oh there there" letter back rather than do anything

I pretty much stopped using QF / OW for longhaul travel due to greener pastures elsewhere; I can get a better product elsewhere

If they were to lose enough customers over it, then I would think that they would consider rethinking
Old Oct 7, 2010, 9:15 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF SG, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
To Me Either

(a) there isn't a huge usage in which case the impact is small so why be so pissed off
Originally Posted by shillard
Never used this "benefit", likely never will. Big deal.
I don't use it often but when I use it it comes in really handy. From using the QP shower on arrival after a red eye to waiting for family to arrive when flight is delayed for 2 hours.

I almost ever have lounge access with the airlines I fly anyway so the anytime access was a benefit I always used in conjuction with some QF business (or to get some cookies from the AKL lounge when NZ ran out).
Old Oct 7, 2010, 10:48 pm
Company Representative - Qantas Airways

Programs: Qantas Airways
Hi Everyone,

Im from Qantas Marketing and wanted to make a few points in regards to the latest changes to Qantas Frequent Flyer and specifically for our Platinum Frequent Flyers.

Its probably not too much of a surprise for you that we often monitor the frequent flyer forums and in the light of the changes we announced this week, wed like to clarify a few points here on FT.

Firstly Id like to thank you all for your honest and candid feedback. The collective knowledge here on loyalty programs here is arguably worth at least a few PhDs You might be interested to know that online feedback is also provided in regular updates to senior management at Qantas.

On balance, weve received good feedback on the changes overall, however its fair to say that there has been some vigorous discussion on the change in Platinum lounge access policy. The challenge we face is striking a balance between offering reasonable lounge access, whilst not overcrowding the lounges.

One issue we see is when Members use Qantas lounge facilities and then fly with competitors on the same day. This increases crowding for Members who are flying with us on the day and also gives our competitors a free kick. As you know, anytime lounge access is a particularly unique feature within our program.

However, we have taken your feedback onboard and are happy to make adjustments to this policy and were also pleased to let you know about it first!
From 1 February 2011, to access Qantas Domestic or International lounges, Platinum Members must be travelling the same day on a flight that shows on a Qantas (QF), a Jetstar Airline (Jetstar (JQ), Jetstar Asia (3K) or Valuair (VF)) or a oneworld flight number on your ticket. Other lounge access conditions apply. See Qantas Club Terms and Conditions.
In doing so, Platinum Frequent Flyers will continue to be welcome to use our lounges to freshen up or whilst waiting for colleagues or friends arriving on other flights. We have also specifically noted Jetstar Asia (3K) and Valuair (VF) as included carriers in the definition.

We believe this is a good outcome for our Platinum Frequent Flyers. I understand that this may not fully satisfy all, however we feel this is fair and reasonable overall. Qantas.com will be updated later today with the revised policy.

Thanks for flying with us.

Red Roo.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 10:58 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Thank you Red Roo for taking the time to post.
I am happy to know that QF has managed to expand the entry criteria.
However please note that as a NZ based traveller QF decisions in the recent years have actually made me fly more on *A to attain and retain status. Previously this travel would have been on QF or oneworld.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
A user with the handle Red Roo has posted the same on AFF.

See my post in response:
Originally Posted by Red Roo

Hi Everyone,

I’m from Qantas Marketing and wanted to make a few points in regards to the latest changes to Qantas Frequent Flyer and specifically for our Platinum Frequent Flyers. ...
Welcome to AFF Red Roo.

It is good to have input from someone from the organisation.

I appreciate that use of the lounges by members when travelling with competitors would be aproblem and do understand your efforts to restrict this.

Thank you for those variations to the changes (tautology ?). Does "Same Day" relate to scheduled departure date or does it include those flights arriving in the early hours of the morning that departed one or two days earlier(e.g. QF10 into Melbourne arriving the day after it departs Singapore or QF94 which arrives into Melbourne "2 Days" after departing Los Angeles).

[Moderator Note]
As a moderator of this forum, I have checked the IP address of this post and it is indeed registered to Qantas Airways.
[/Moderator Note]

Last edited by serfty; Oct 7, 2010 at 11:34 pm
Old Oct 7, 2010, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
The web page has already been updated:
+ From 1 February 2011, to access Qantas Domestic or International lounges, Platinum members must be travelling the same day on a flight that shows a Qantas (QF), a Jetstar Airline (Jetstar (JQ), Jetstar Asia (3K) or Valuair (VF)) or a oneworld flight number on your ticket. Other lounge access conditions apply. See Qantas Club Terms and Conditions.
I Guess "travelling the same day" can easily mean departing OR arriving that day.

Still, it's somewhat ambiguous.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 12:25 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF SG, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P
Hi Everyone,

Im from Qantas Marketing and wanted to make a few points in regards to the latest changes to Qantas Frequent Flyer and specifically for our Platinum Frequent Flyers.
Welcome to FT and the QF forum, Red Roo (isn't the roo white?)!
Always good to have an official post here.

On balance, weve received good feedback on the changes overall, .
I have difficulties believing this. So all the QC members are happy that they don't get priority checkin anymore? Especially the onces who have spent thoursands of $$ for a life membership?
And the Platinums are happy about the increase to 2400SCs, removal of anytime lounge access and the fact that there is not much of a difference between Platinum and Gold anymore?

Or everyone is happy about the steep increase in fees especially when you have to use the call centre as many awards can't be booked online?

And last but not lease, we are all happy about the fact that you didn't give the required notice you had to give under your own T&Cs.

however its fair to say that there has been some vigorous discussion on the change in Platinum lounge access policy. The challenge we face is striking a balance between offering reasonable lounge access, whilst not overcrowding the lounges. .
This is indeed a balance. But you guys must have the data but among the frequent flyers here it seems as if removing this benefit will do very little to improve the lounge situation. Having said this, in most of my flying the lounge situation doesn't need any improvement as it usually is okay.

One issue we see is when Members use Qantas lounge facilities and then fly with competitors on the same day. This increases crowding for Members who are flying with us on the day and also gives our competitors a free kick. As you know, anytime lounge access is a particularly unique feature within our program.
Well, it was a particular feature. So this means in the past, your most loyal customers could use the QC for the occisional flight on Virgin. Big deal. Most Platinums would usually only fly Virgin if QF is not a viable option for whatever reason. Its not that we all become Platinums and then fly Virgin all the time.
Now with Gold and Platinum being very similar I can see that many frequent flyers will drop down to Gold and actually start flying Virgin more so they get lounge access with them as well.

However, we have taken your feedback onboard and are happy to make adjustments to this policy and were also pleased to let you know about it first!
From 1 February 2011, to access Qantas Domestic or International lounges, Platinum Members must be travelling the same day on a flight that shows on a Qantas (QF), a Jetstar Airline (Jetstar (JQ), Jetstar Asia (3K) or Valuair (VF)) or a oneworld flight number on your ticket. Other lounge access conditions apply. See Qantas Club Terms and Conditions.
In doing so, Platinum Frequent Flyers will continue to be welcome to use our lounges to freshen up or whilst waiting for colleagues or friends arriving on other flights. We have also specifically noted Jetstar Asia (3K) and Valuair (VF) as included carriers in the definition.

We believe this is a good outcome for our Platinum Frequent Flyers. I understand that this may not fully satisfy all, however we feel this is fair and reasonable overall. Qantas.com will be updated later today with the revised policy.

Thanks for flying with us.

Red Roo.
While the wording is not entirely clear, this is better than nothing. But really, you should have just left it as it was before. It worked well, didn't cost much and everyone was happy.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 12:39 am

Programs: QF WP/Lifetime SG, OW Emerald
I am quite pleased that they have removed 'any time access' and think it is a good development. I accept that some frequent flyers will be disappointed since they won't be able to use the lounge when meeting relatives at the airport but issues with Qantas lounges becoming overcrowded, especially during peak times, meant this change had to be made.

Overall, I think Qantas has enhanced the benefits of Platinum membership, especially now they have introduced alternative benefits at 2,400 SC and enabled one to allocate 'partner gold' to anyone they want. I am looking forward to being able to select the 50,000 points option when I reach 2,400 SC.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 1:09 am

Programs: QF Platinum, ICH RA, HH Silver, Hyatt GP
Dear Red Roo. It is great to have you on the forum and great to know someone at QF is reading the forum.

The people on this forum are your most loyal customers and many here are your most frequent flyers so I hope you take our feedback seriously.

It is a well known fact QF is losing money. QF is kept alive by its FFP and JQ. We know you are under pressure to increase profits, cut costs whilst trying to maintain customer satisfaction.

I am at a stage where I don't think QF FFP can offer a superior FFP program over QF competitors especially if your competitors are offering status match.

Whilst your competitors are continuously making announcements about addition offerings with their own FFP programs, QF FFP announcements seem to surround program cutbacks on its members. Is this the way to keep your QFF customers loyal?
Old Oct 8, 2010, 1:24 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by jcjchung
The people on this forum are your most loyal customers and many here are your most frequent flyers so I hope you take our feedback seriously.
We are also the ones who are more into mileage runs/cheap deals/ exploiting the system etc so probably not a sprofitable as those without a little knowledge.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 1:32 am

Programs: QF, HHons.
Welcome to FT Red Roo and thank you Qantas for listening.

I agree with comments posted on this subject by straitman on the AFF site, "the kicker to make this just that little better for Platinum's and still achieve your aims would be to still allow the Platinum FFs into the lounge if their guests were traveling on that day".

I'd still prefer anytime access to be restored though.

Regards,

PeteJ.

Hi Everyone,

Im from Qantas Marketing and wanted to make a few points in regards to the latest changes to Qantas Frequent Flyer and specifically for our Platinum Frequent Flyers......
Old Oct 8, 2010, 2:14 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Originally Posted by jcjchung

DJ also status match QF platinum's so I think its time for me to seek alternatives.
who do we speak to, to access this?

While the change makes the benefit marginally better, it is only marginally better. It still does not help seeing others off nor waiting somewhere when SWMBO flight has been delayed.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 3:21 am

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
Two thoughts.

1. Thanks Red Roo for posting. I would take the "same day" criteria to mean that Plat members will thus be able to access a lounge AFTER a flight? If so, that is a good move.

2. Just on the overcrowding issue of QC's - aren't the J lounges in BNE/MEL/SYD open to Plats too (and oneworld emerald)? Are they useable under the any access rule that currently is in force? If so, then the J lounge would seem to have been QF's response to the QC overcrowding and pushing plats into the J lounge at the largest domestic hubs. Whenever I've been in the J lounge they've been fullish, but not overcrowded (flying on D fares - since I'm not a plat). Under this new stated rule will Plat's still be able to use the J lounge? If they are, then the general QC overcrowding issue isn't one that should affect platnum members - except when they are travelling with or meeting members who cannot access the J lounge.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 4:11 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
previously it was just anytime access to QC, but I notice the 'rules' now say 'must be travelling' to access QC but does not need to be QF/OW/JQ etc....(until 1/2/11)

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airl...cess/global/en

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.