Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Oceania (Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific) > Oceania (Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific)
Reload this Page >

Sleeping in the Cairns Airport, where in the airport is the most peaceful spot?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2010, 1:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus

I've got 8 hours in the Cairns Airport coming up in a few weeks. I'm laying over there on my way to Papua New Guinea (almost 2 days of travel from my place of origin - Hawaii). Are there any good places in the Cairns Airport that are prime for sleeping? I'm considering getting a room at Mercur Harbourside for a few hours rest...would that be the better option or is there a spot in the airport that would suffice?
Old Mar 28, 2010, 2:38 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum, Hilton Honors Gold
Definitly would look at a hotel for a decent rest.

www.wotif.com came up with Cairns Airport Hotels
Old Mar 28, 2010, 3:11 am

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
The airport closes, so you will be evicted.

60 bux for Cairns Colonial Club - a clean basic "resort" - is a good deal.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 3:52 am
Original Poster

Palms Royale in Cairns is where I'll be staying!

I found a hotel called the Palms Royale which is about 8km/5mi from the airport. It appears to be a nice clean place with decent enough reviews. I got the room on Wotif.com for $50AUD! That's a steal compared to the published rate of near/over $100AUD! Thanks for the recommendation - plus they have a customer service number for the United States which helps.

I had no idea the Cairns airport closes at night! That makes my choice of whether or not to get a room pretty easy.

What time does the airport open back up??? I'm leaving on Air Niugini for Port Moresby the following morning around 07:00am (0700hrs). Since it's an international flight out of Cairns do I need to be there 3 hours prior to check-in or two hours prior???
Old Mar 28, 2010, 3:54 am

I've stayed at the Cairns Colonial a few times previously, descent enough hotel for a nights sleep.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 3:58 am

Originally Posted by ewaiea
I found a hotel called the Palms Royale which is about 8km/5mi from the airport. It appears to be a nice clean place with decent enough reviews. I got the room on Wotif.com for $50AUD! That's a steal compared to the published rate of near/over $100AUD! Thanks for the recommendation - plus they have a customer service number for the United States which helps.

I had no idea the Cairns airport closes at night! That makes my choice of whether or not to get a room pretty easy.

What time does the airport open back up??? I'm leaving on Air Niugini for Port Moresby the following morning around 07:00am (0700hrs). Since it's an international flight out of Cairns do I need to be there 3 hours prior to check-in or two hours prior???
Palm Royal is part of the same group as Cairns Colonial - and I must say you have snared a great deal at $50 per night!

2 hours prior to check in is plenty of time.

Be prepared for the unique odours that accompany the CNS-POM sector!
Old Mar 28, 2010, 11:26 am
Original Poster

POM - ya, I know....can be kinda stinky...

Originally Posted by vecta
Palm Royal is part of the same group as Cairns Colonial - and I must say you have snared a great deal at $50 per night!

2 hours prior to check in is plenty of time.

Be prepared for the unique odours that accompany the CNS-POM sector!
I've been getting on the dive board forums, they've been saying the same thing - smelly section of the flight. My first day of travel is HNL-SYD-CNS...stay a few hours in the hotel.....CNS-POM-HKN...drive an hour stay at Walindi Resort, then start my 10 day dive trip.

In fact, I was kind of scared since Port Moresby is not a safe city, but I am actually staying there one night on my way home at the Airways Hotel - not a good deal pricewise but should be a very luxurious one night stay! Plus the Airways has plenty of armed security - so I don't mind paying for that premium. :-)
Old Mar 28, 2010, 11:55 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
CNS-POM check in opens 2-2.5 hours before departure. Don't arrive too early. Not much to do in the international terminal either.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 9:32 am

Programs: Hilton Gold
bump - i have the same question, only I am arriving early and was hoping to snooze for a couple of hours. Arrive at CNS around 430am. My hotel won't likely let me check in until around noon, so I've got at least a couple of hours to kill before I can go eat breakfast, etc. Is it possible to sleep anywhere in CNS as an arriving passenger? Or should I just bite the bullet and pay for an extra day at the hotel?
Old Apr 30, 2014, 4:21 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
[mod hat] Moving to Oceania forum for better coverage. [/mod hat]
Old May 11, 2014, 4:17 am

Originally Posted by shadowsjc
bump - i have the same question, only I am arriving early and was hoping to snooze for a couple of hours. Arrive at CNS around 430am. My hotel won't likely let me check in until around noon, so I've got at least a couple of hours to kill before I can go eat breakfast, etc. Is it possible to sleep anywhere in CNS as an arriving passenger? Or should I just bite the bullet and pay for an extra day at the hotel?
Nowhere in the airport. It's a very small airport.

Drop your bags off at the hotel and go get breakfast on the esplanade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.