FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qantas | Frequent Flyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer-498/)
-   -   How to find out seat class and flight status (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer/1060122-how-find-out-seat-class-flight-status.html)

chanpreet Mar 7, 2010 12:55 am

How to find out seat class and flight status

hi there

i am flying next weekend on QF 93 melbourne to LAX.

I was thinking of upgrading to Business class using my airpoints.

As i understand there are some classes that are unupgradeable. How do i know which class i am booked in and what the flight situation look like for my chanes of upgrade.

I tried checkmytrip.com and all that does is show me my itinenary.

Thanks in advance

DownUnderFlyer Mar 7, 2010 1:47 am

Welcome to FT and the QF forum, chanpreet!

Why don't you just call QF and ask them about the upgrade?

drewbles Mar 7, 2010 3:42 am

If you check the e-ticket that QF should have emailed to you, you should notice something similar to the following:

Code:

QANTAS AIRWAYS          QF29    BUSINESS CLASS  (J)  CONFIRMED
    DEPART    10MAY10  MELBOURNE                          2250
    ARRIVE    11MAY10  HONG KONG                          0550
    DEPARTS FROM:TERMINAL 2
    ARRIVES AT:  TERMINAL 1

In this example, the (J) next to Business Class indicates the fare type. Just have a look in there, and if you see E, N, O, P or Q you won't be able to upgrade. If you see other classes you should be able to request an upgrade.

Of course you can try and process the upgrade online, and if you're not eligible for an upgrade, the system will tell you.

Good luck:)

Mwenenzi Mar 7, 2010 4:12 am

Originally Posted by drewbles (Post 13527450)
..Of course you can try and process the upgrade online, and if you're not eligible for an upgrade, the system will tell you

As above go to Qantas web site: manage my booking. You need QF points in your QF freq flyer account to upgrade.

martin79 Mar 7, 2010 4:40 am

Originally Posted by chanpreet (Post 13527103)
. How do i know which class i am booked in and what the flight situation look like for my chanes of upgrade.

if you go to www.expertflyer.com or www.seatcounter.com this will show you the availability of the various booking classes for your flight. If I recall correctly the upgrade from economy to business book into U class which is the same for business reward bookings. If it's a domestic flight you are after and there is U class available then the upgrade is confirmed straight away, but for international you have to request a booking and then added to a list where status and other factors come into play. You will normally find out 5 hours before departure if the international upgrade is successful. Good luck!

AnonymousCoward Mar 7, 2010 8:00 am

U class is business award seats.

International upgrades are on a waitlist basis.

chanpreet Mar 7, 2010 4:19 pm

thanks for all your help.

Managed to check my class via the booking details. I am booked under O class whcih unfortunately is non-upgradeable.

One question, whats the difference between these classes? . So in this case if i want to use my Qantas points for an upgrade, i need to get in touch with my travel agent and ask for a change of class (assuming have to pay a bit more) to get the same economy class ticket.

drewbles Mar 7, 2010 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by martin79 (Post 13527557)
if you go to www.expertflyer.com or www.seatcounter.com this will show you the availability of the various booking classes for your flight. If I recall correctly the upgrade from economy to business book into U class which is the same for business reward bookings. If it's a domestic flight you are after and there is U class available then the upgrade is confirmed straight away, but for international you have to request a booking and then added to a list where status and other factors come into play. You will normally find out 5 hours before departure if the international upgrade is successful. Good luck!

As AnonymousCoward wrote, U is for Awards. The availability or lack thereof of U class is not indicative of upgrade success. The only real hint we can gauge is how many seats are available in revenue fare buckets. If Y is looking to be oversold but J/F isn't, it's more likely, but that's not factoring in when the request was submitted nor the FF status nor the booked fare class for the Y ticket.

QF voodoo at it's finest ;)

drewbles Mar 7, 2010 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by chanpreet (Post 13530494)
thanks for all your help.

Managed to check my class via the booking details. I am booked under O class whcih unfortunately is non-upgradeable.

One question, whats the difference between these classes? . So in this case if i want to use my Qantas points for an upgrade, i need to get in touch with my travel agent and ask for a change of class (assuming have to pay a bit more) to get the same economy class ticket.

The difference between fare classes is usually flexibility. The higher your fare, the more likely you are to be able to change dates/times/flights with lesser or no penalty.

O/N/Q/E are the super-cheap fares. These are typically in-flexible and if changes are required, large fees are payable. The difference from O class to the first fare bucket that'll allow upgrades is usually pretty big. You'll be looking at a change fee plus the difference in face from the O class to the first available fare class that is upgradeable. If looking on the QF website for examples, Sale and Red e-deal fares are the non-upgradeable ones as a general rule. Super-Saver and Flexi-Saver will be what you're looking for.

Call your TA if you want, but the price difference will likely be more than a few hundred.

martin79 Mar 7, 2010 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by drewbles (Post 13531085)
As AnonymousCoward wrote, U is for Awards. The availability or lack thereof of U class is not indicative of upgrade success.

Hi Drewbles/AnonymousCoward

My reference to U class availability was in regards to Domestic upgrade requests (as I said in my original post). If you make an upgrade request on a domestic flight and there is U class available it will get confirmed immediately. I've done it plenty of times.

I realise this was not relevant to the OP on this occasion as he has an international flight but I was giving him background on how both the domestic and international upgrade system works. I realise U class has nothing to do with international requests.

Martin