FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qantas | Frequent Flyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer-498/)
-   -   What happens if i dont print my boarding pass tickets ? domestic flight (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer/1050601-what-happens-if-i-dont-print-my-boarding-pass-tickets-domestic-flight.html)

ansettlad Feb 10, 2010 5:11 pm

What happens if i dont print my boarding pass tickets ? domestic flight

Hi people.

First my apoligies if this is a long to read as i want to talk about it more in dept.

I'm abit concern about the printing of the qantas boarding pass.

We are heading to melbourne on holidays for a weekend stay.
Me and my mother and father the 3 of us will be going to melbourne and stay at a nice hotel in the city.

I will be taking my laptop with me (no printer)

I want to check-in online at qantas website so that i can check in and select the 3 seats to head back home to brisbane.

I know now how that is done because last year i checked in online and it was quite easy.

But the big problem is that without a printer i can not print the boarding pass tickets for the 3 of us.

So i know that ones i have selected the 3 seats together where i want to be seated on the plane if its empty seats of course it will then guide me that the boarding pass tickets will be send to me as a *acrobat reader* application file.

But without a printer i cant print my tickets.

1first... perhaps the downstairs reception of the hotel can do this for me but the big risk is i would never give them my password log ins and username log ins and the ather problem is they would not really know exactly where we want to be seated on the plane. (normaly from home i keep refreshing the site until there are some empty seats on the plane as sit can happen any minute or any hour of the day as ive notice that) So i dont think i dont want to waist the time for them playing up on thier computer system. So that is not going to likely to happen because i could be there standing more then 1 hour refreshing the site for the hope of the fav seat i want (which does happen any random time on the day when seats are been change around)

2second: I dont think going to a internet cafe would be aprropiate.. well i gues it can but there are problems there.... when you log in to qantas website to do your checkin boarding pass at the end they will send you straight away a acrobat reader file which contains your boarding pass to be printed. Most internet cafes do not accept downloads of any sorts of files in thier internet cafe computers. also it is quite risky and dangeriouse that if i was to do that any ather people using that computer can someway see that file thats been kept on that computer my boarding pass.... So thats not going to happen due to risk and security. (but instead of downloading that file on that public computer i can still print the ticket without accepting the file to be download and just quickly print out the baording pass at the front desk. Simple.

So these are the risk and things i need to be aware of.

Know It would simply be quite silly if i was to go to a internet cafe to do the check in online and i have my own laptop back at the hotel to do this.

So to you.... My big question is: When i check-in online with my personal laptop at the hotel and then i choose the selected seats for 3 adults seating together..... (without a printer) what might happen if i check in online 24hours before departure and realise i have not printed the boarding pass ?

Is it posible to then 1 hour later after ive just check in online with my laptop anf go back to the internet cafe and then re-log back into qantas check in option (to print my 3 boarding pass tickets) or does this mean if you log back in you will have to re-select your seats and all before you print the rickets ? is that true?

Or will the boarding pass tickets be there for me to print it out whenever even if i log off and then log back into qantas website ?

The ideal of me checking in online with my laptop is that i feel safer that way and because i could be there spending sometime like 1 hour or such refreshing the site in hope to see more empty seats on my fav seats ( it does happen as ive done this last year as seats where changeing every hour so it was easy enough to pick your fav seat if its empty)

So yeah just making sure that ones ive done this i can go back 1 hour later to the internet cafe to log back into the qantas website to print the boarding pass tickets without going thru step by step on checking in when its allready have done it back at the hotel with my laptop.

Just making sure.

I dont want to end up at the airport with empty hands without the boarding pass because ill end up going into the huge line area.. I rather have the tickets on me before heading to the airport just the apropiate manner way for us and feel more relax that way.

Thanks to everyone sorry i am quite nervours about it. Its not like i would be taking my large printer with me to my holidays just for that.

regards.

iquitos Feb 10, 2010 5:19 pm

just check in online now

to hold the seats and print when you can. they don't know if you printed or not. print your itinerary and show it at the airport. you will have to go to the counter anyway to check your bags. they can print the pass then or you can use a kiosk.

ansettlad Feb 10, 2010 5:32 pm

Hi thank you kindly for your reply. But when i did this last year everything at a internet cafe iw as to tell the person working there at the desk that i want to print something.... so i did.... but same time afraid that person is seen what im printing (the baording pass)

Aniways but the big question is.. can i check in online with my laptop and select the seats i want. AND then maybe in 1 hour or 2 hours later i go to a internet cafe near by and re-log back to the qantas website to quickly (PRINT) my 3 baording pass without going thru the step by step proccese with the check in again ?

I wont have a printer with me but to what i said is it posible? Sacared that if icheck in online and without printing it i could end up loosing my seat ive choosen.

Aniways thats why ill have my laptop with me to do the job but then back to the internt cafe to print it only without staying for too long log in and such.

Oh and remember its going to be like acrobat reader file before you print it...... risky anywhere in public unless you do it on your own computer but without a printer your then stuck.

thanks.

og Feb 10, 2010 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by iquitos (Post 13367106)
to hold the seats and print when you can. they don't know if you printed or not. print your itinerary and show it at the airport. you will have to go to the counter anyway to check your bags. they can print the pass then or you can use a kiosk.

Confirmed. Just check in on line and choose your desired seats. Don't print the Boarding Pass. The agent or kiosk will do it at the airport - but you might just need to clarify to the agent that you didn't print the BP.

CalVol Feb 10, 2010 5:43 pm

Would it be possible for you to save the boarding passes to your laptop via Cutepdf or similar program? If so, you could save it to a usb stick and print it in your hotel or at the internet cafe.

Speaking of the hotel, have you checked to see if there is a business center that would give you access to a computer/printer without needing to use reception staff?

Good luck!

CV

vecta Feb 10, 2010 6:03 pm

I cant remember the last time I actually printed a QF domestic BP.
I always OLCI and don't have a printer. When I get to the airport I check in as usual and when I get to the counter I give my WP card (give them a license or passport if you don't have a Qantas Club Card / FF card) and politely inform them that I did OLCI but didn't have a printer.

They will print them and hand them to you, that's it.

Simple! :)

ansettlad Feb 10, 2010 9:56 pm

thanks for these trying to help and ideas.

I still am not getting the actual respond to one specific question im after.

But i gues i could from the hotel room with my personal laptop log into qantas website checkin online select the seats so on and then at the end of that a pop up file apears on the screen which will be a acrobat reader file. So because i dont have a printer with me while im at the hotel i will save that acrobat file which is my 3 boarding pass onto a usb small harddrive stick... Then from there whenever on that specific day i will go to a near by internet cafe and i then plug in my usb hard drive stick to a public computer to print the 3 tickets. Know is that the best way to do it ?

i really prefer to check in online with my laptop because ill be spending time refreshing the site to choose the right seat i want.

so to the question im asking is that the best way ?

im not going to the airport without the boarding pas tickets been printed.

But again while i go to a internet cafe with my hard drive stick plug it into a public computer and print my boarding pass means that the files saved on my hard drive stick will not save that files on the public computer am i right ? plug it also depends if the internet cafe accepts files from hard drives sticks... not all computers will accept open folders and such as the internet cafe doesnt want people to save things on thier public computer. gues for safety reasons.

that is all just want to do it this way but only if its posible. i have time to then go to the internet cafe thats no problem.

og Feb 10, 2010 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by ansettlad (Post 13368478)
that is all just want to do it this way but only if its posible. i have time to then go to the internet cafe thats no problem.

Why stuff around with internet kiosks when you can do what has been advised above?

Once you have your seat selected by OLCI, it won't change. Just shove your FF card into the kiosk and grab your BP. Simple!

mw331 Feb 10, 2010 10:25 pm

thanks for these trying to help and ideas.

i really prefer to check in online with my laptop because ill be spending time refreshing the site to choose the right seat i want.

so to the question im asking is that the best way ?

im not going to the airport without the boarding pas tickets been printed.

But again while i go to a internet cafe with my hard drive stick plug it into a public computer and print my boarding pass means that the files saved on my hard drive stick will not save that files on the public computer am i right ? plug it also depends if the internet cafe accepts files from hard drives sticks... not all computers will accept open folders and such as the internet cafe doesnt want people to save things on thier public computer. gues for safety reasons.

With regards to your first question; you can perform online check in as many times as you like. This online check in facility does not require that you print out a boarding pass every time you use it.

Once you have checked in (how ever many times) and made a final decision as to where you're going to sit, your seat is confirmed. You do not need to print out the boarding pass; obviously, it helps if you do but it is not essential. When you arrive at the airport go to the check in counters and present your frequent flyer card as proof of who you are. The check in agent will then be able to locate your booking on the system and print your boarding pass for you.

Another option is to use the check in booths. All you need to do is scan your frequent flyer card and it will take you to a screen showing your booking and check in options. You can then confirm your seats or change them again if you see a more desirable seat and the machine will print out your boarding pass.

Regarding your memory stick; you do not need to transfer the file from your memory stick to the computer you are using. All you need to do, assuming you are using a P.C., is click on the 'Start' button (the one located at the bottom left hand side of the screen) and go to 'My Computer'. Click on 'My Computer' and you will see a list of drives e.g. a, c, d, e, etc. Click on the drive that corresponds to your memory stick and locate your file containing the boarding pass. Finally, open it and click print.

ansettlad Feb 10, 2010 10:47 pm

thanks. i like this idea:

Regarding your memory stick; you do not need to transfer the file from your memory stick to the computer you are using. All you need to do, assuming you are using a P.C., is click on the 'Start' button (the one located at the bottom left hand side of the screen) and go to 'My Computer'. Click on 'My Computer' and you will see a list of drives e.g. a, c, d, e, etc. Click on the drive that corresponds to your memory stick and locate your file containing the boarding pass. Finally, open it and click print.

thats what i wantred to know, and of course thanks to the ather users with ideas and different ways to do it.

i just cant see myself going to the airport without a printed baording pass.. plus i dont no what that is about frequent flayer card..... i just buy tickets online using a debit visa card just like a credit card.

aniways just had to know because the 3 of us are very stresfull people and making sure how i indicated is as easy as anything goes. I have time to then go to the internet cafe to print it using my memory stick. Just making sure that that the public computer accepts memory sticks been inseted and then print.... they do have printers at the internet cafe just not sure if they are aware i have a memory stick. well aniways

my last question is.... while i am about the save the baording pass onto my memory stick from my laptop... does the memory stick requires some how acrobat download ? because without acrobat in the memory card the memory card boarding pass will not work without a programa called acrobat reader. Plus depends if the internet cafe public computers has allready acrobat reader downloaed atherwise my memory stick file which has the boarding pass will not open because there is no acrobat reader downloaded... plus internet cafes dont accept people to download things on thier public computers....

aniways just stress free making sure things are right.

I also believevdoing all this on the internet is the future thats going to happen. i just read the australia aviation magazine this month and shows images and discusstions that airports wont have no workers but everything dones on the internet. well i only do it online

buying tickets for overseaswill require assitant from the agency obviously.

thanks ones again preciate your helpfull tips.^

mw331 Feb 10, 2010 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by ansettlad (Post 13368710)
my last question is.... while i am about the save the baording pass onto my memory stick from my laptop... does the memory stick requires some how acrobat download ? because without acrobat in the memory card the memory card boarding pass will not work without a programa called acrobat reader. Plus depends if the internet cafe public computers has allready acrobat reader downloaed atherwise my memory stick file which has the boarding pass will not open because there is no acrobat reader downloaded... plus internet cafes dont accept people to download things on thier public computers....

aniways just stress free making sure things are right.

I also believevdoing all this on the internet is the future thats going to happen. i just read the australia aviation magazine this month and shows images and discusstions that airports wont have no workers but everything dones on the internet. well i only do it online

buying tickets for overseaswill require assitant from the agency obviously.

thanks ones again preciate your helpfull tips.^

You do not need to have Adobe Acrobat saved on the memory stick, however, the computer from which you print the boarding pass will require that programme to open the file. Most internet cafés will have this programme installed on their P.C.s so you should have no problems with opening the file and printing the boarding pass.

Enjoy your trip to Melbourne.

ansettlad Feb 11, 2010 1:12 am

Originally Posted by mw331 (Post 13368800)
You do not need to have Adobe Acrobat saved on the memory stick, however, the computer from which you print the boarding pass will require that programme to open the file. Most internet cafés will have this programme installed on their P.C.s so you should have no problems with opening the file and printing the boarding pass.

Enjoy your trip to Melbourne.

Thanks that sounds quite easy to do. Never thought about that. It would had been quite silly to bring my printer with me just for that. :-)

Aniways i just hope i dont forget this thing, Any good cheap memory stick would be good enough for me.

I wasnt going to go dowwnstairs reception and tell them to alocate my seat and there for i would never give them my log in name and log in passwords without me ever seen what they are doing while im standing there. So that can be quite risky and you dont no either they are good people or bad people personaly. Like they say.. Never give out your details like passwords to log into something on the internet. Just do it yourself or someone you really know and trust.

I dont no if VIRGINblue has this thing about check in online and the same with alocate seats and so on. Ive never try with virginblue though.

take care people.

vecta Feb 11, 2010 4:18 pm

ansettlad

1. OLCI your group anytime 24 hours or less to the departure time of your flight.
2. When you get to the stage where it asks you to print the boarding pass you don't need to, you are checked in.
3. When you get to the airport you and the other travellers in the party will need to show identification and you will then be printed out your boarding passes which will be the same seats as you selected when you checked in online. (unless of course you have been upgraded or something like that)

That's it. You don't need to do anything else.
Over and out?

ansettlad Feb 13, 2010 1:42 am

Hi

Thanks to everyone who help me with ways how to print the boarding pass and what happens if i didnt printed.

Know that im aware different ways to do it.

I would just do what people say but i do like my option by check in online with my laptop from the hotel bedroom and save the boarding pass file into my small little memory stick... and then on that particular day when i go outside of the hotel for the day i will go to the nearest internet cafe with my little memory stick i will plug it into a public computer that accepts USB plug in for my little small memory stick. From there i quickly request that im going to print 3 things. And ones the ticket has been printed i pay the cost and get out of the internet cafe if posible, Then i will sure that all of us wont be worried and that 3 of us will see and hold that boarding pass with us before heading back to the airport within 24hours time.

Its just basic way its easy that way and only if have time to wonder. I believe doing all this is the future of buying and checking in online. Its allready happening.

Anyways sounds all good i do preciate everyones tips. That is all from me about this since i had my question answered.

This thread would be very handy for anyone in the new future to search this and understand different ways how to print the boarding pass if you are unable to print it from your destination location, I am guesing that sometimes people need to just fine out ways and tips about printing the boarding pass when checking in online without a printer. Im sure i wouldnt be the only one with what i was after ;-).
Take care and thank you.
Happy trips as allways.

og Feb 13, 2010 3:23 am

Go over to NZ and see the future without BPs on a domestic flight - ie its all in your mobile phone. No paper, no USB sticks, no stuffing around. QF gives the appearance of moving with the times, but they are really a long way behind every one else.