Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

When does Qantas release unsold seats for frequent flyer redemption?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When does Qantas release unsold seats for frequent flyer redemption?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:11 am

Programs: VA Gold
I believe AA can ask, if they want to.

But don't expect a yes...
Old Jun 15, 2012, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA*1K, BA Gold, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by m0hamed
Late December is a peak travel period. If you had status with QF, you could request one open, but I wouldn't bet on another becoming available. Frankly, I would only book when you found 2.
There's not much corporate travel between Christmas and mid-late January.. Especially if you are willing to fly over Christmas Day or New Years Day then in my experience the premium cabins are very lightly loaded. Whether QF release award inventory is another matter...
Old Jun 23, 2012, 4:22 am
SFU

Programs: QFF Gold
Best. Thread. Ever.

Why have I only just found this??

If you, like me, enjoy reading long exchanges of mildly antagonising emails, you might like this: http://www.27bslash6.com/index.html
Old Jun 28, 2012, 12:38 pm

I am planning to get 2 award J tickets to Sydney from ORD using my AA miles in September 2013 but after reading this thread it appears that would not be an easy task!! What are my chances?
Thanks!
Old Jun 30, 2012, 11:27 pm

Programs: Hertz PLAT, Mile Runner, Blue Screen.
Originally Posted by eoinnz
You probably have a better chance of winning the lotto than being upgraded
Originally Posted by OpenTrackRacer
Yeow! Qantas is that bad eh? Regardless, I have nothing to lose by asking. Can anyone suggest the best time to ask? Right after the doors close? After the safety briefing but before takeoff? Once we're in the air?

Thanks!
i have been upgraded twice to business on qantas.
1 time it was b/c i flew on my birthday and asked for an upgrade - they put me in business.
other time was b/c jfk-Lax my entertainment was broken.
i asked for an upgrade at the gate counter, the supervisor came and spoke to me we had a pleasant conversation,.. he apologised and asked if i'd accept an upgrade as compensation(business class). i did, and he took down my info and sent me 8 qantas lounge passes! when i got them i was beyond shock.
this was 3yrs ago.
but from what i've seen qantas has maintained great customer service. more in flight and in the airport then via email and phone.
the best flight nyc-syd is still the Qantas A380. no US airline can compete with the comfort, class, and service. Also if your an aussie, its just so welcoming to get on a plane and hear the australian accents. you feel right at home the second you step on the plane.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Rcarentals
the best flight nyc-syd is still the Qantas A380.
QF doesn't fly the A380 to JFK.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 6:12 am

Programs: QF,KRIS,VIRGIN
With the flights thru New Zealand ending you should look at LAX- BNE if you want travel in J on Qantas to Australia on a redemption.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 4:26 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by JCary
I am planning to get 2 award J tickets to Sydney from ORD using my AA miles in September 2013 but after reading this thread it appears that would not be an easy task!! What are my chances?
Thanks!
Hi JCary, welcome to the QF Lottery!!

As has been stated previously, Awards seats are usually released by QF 353 days in advance and you usually have to be pretty quick to snap them up. Whether you are able to snag two will depend largely on two factors:

1) How quickly AA recognize QF availability
2) When in September you're looking to fly

You could judge the first by trying to do a dummy booking now against a date 353 days out and seeing whether availability is generally available.

Note that NSW schools have holidays Sep 20 - Oct 08 2013, you will find it easier to get redemptions earlier in September than later.

Talking of lottery, personally I wouldn't wait until the return legs are available before trying to book the outbound - chances are your outbounds will have disappeared (though consider the later statement about CX).

You should also consider indirect routes such as ORD-DFW-BNE-SYD as well as the well-trodden via LAX.

Finally, do you *have* to fly QF? Looking at 12months from now, plenty of J redemptions with CX via HKG.

Keep yourself flexible.

Regards,

BD
Old Jul 3, 2012, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by BD1959
Hi JCary, welcome to the QF Lottery!!

As has been stated previously, Awards seats are usually released by QF 353 days in advance and you usually have to be pretty quick to snap them up. Whether you are able to snag two will depend largely on two factors:

1) How quickly AA recognize QF availability
2) When in September you're looking to fly

You could judge the first by trying to do a dummy booking now against a date 353 days out and seeing whether availability is generally available.

Note that NSW schools have holidays Sep 20 - Oct 08 2013, you will find it easier to get redemptions earlier in September than later.

Talking of lottery, personally I wouldn't wait until the return legs are available before trying to book the outbound - chances are your outbounds will have disappeared (though consider the later statement about CX).

You should also consider indirect routes such as ORD-DFW-BNE-SYD as well as the well-trodden via LAX.

Finally, do you *have* to fly QF? Looking at 12months from now, plenty of J redemptions with CX via HKG.

Keep yourself flexible.

Regards,

BD
Isn't it true that the US-Australia can not route through Asia on AA miles on a single award and using CX would require two awards?
Thanks!
Old Jul 3, 2012, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JCary
Isn't it true that the US-Australia can not route through Asia on AA miles on a single award and using CX would require two awards? Thanks!
True. The extra HKG-SYD/MEL leg would add 40K (net) for F, 27.5K (net) for J. But if it's the only option...
Old Sep 25, 2012, 7:56 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Just a data point. I have been looking at QF F availability last minute and it doesn't look like awards will be release if with space avail. Currently 14 hours prior to departure on QF 1 SIN LHR with F7 and P0.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 8:37 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by seawolf
Just a data point. I have been looking at QF F availability last minute and it doesn't look like awards will be release if with space avail. Currently 14 hours prior to departure on QF 1 SIN LHR with F7 and P0.
QF has introduced a new upgrade policy (new since this thread started), so unsold F/J/Y+ seats are now eligible for upgrade up to departure time. This reduces the incentive to release seats for awards in the last minute. I expect current practice is far more limiting than past years for key route last minute award availability. Probably the only way is by WP/P1 request to yield management.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by number_6
Probably the only way is by WP/P1 request to yield management.
Sorry, what does this mean---just requesting Qantas to release an award seat?
Anyone have luck doing this with specific reasons, or do you have to have status with QF?
Old Oct 1, 2012, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by corporateslave
Sorry, what does this mean---just requesting Qantas to release an award seat?
Anyone have luck doing this with specific reasons, or do you have to have status with QF?
Status is generally needed for such requests and High status at the WP/P1 levels.

(See here for assistance on abbreviations: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qanta...-qf-board.html)
Old Oct 4, 2012, 5:46 pm

Qantas award through Hawaii, where do we clear customs?

We chose the two busiest days in June and July to travel I swear, plenty of availability except on our way back. We currently have a booking to come back but it leaves a lot to be desired. There's another option we could take Qantas out of PER-SYD-HNL-LAX, also not desirable, but with 4 hours in Hawaii could we leave and come back or do we clear customs and go through the process there?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.