Go Back   > > >
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 3, 09, 10:17 pm   #1
Original Poster
  
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Programs: QF*WP QF*LTG
Posts: 108
F SYD to LHR for A$5745 return!!! RESULT IS IN...

Gday

Just had a look at flights SYD-LHR in June - return in July 2010. Bestflights.com.au has a fare in F for AU$5745!!!!

However I quickly grabbed 2 tickets - paid - got the e-tickets.

When looking up the booking on Qantas.com.au we are booked in class R (which I believe is First) and text is Premium Economy

I have a confirmation email from the travel agent confirming First so surely they can't take that away from me? Or?

Fares are still available on the www so be quick...

Thanks!
Thaigold

Last edited by thaigold; Mar 19, 10 at 5:52 am
thaigold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 09, 10:19 pm   #2
FlyerTalk Evangelist
  
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 35,155
Have you done seat selections? If not, phone up Qantas and select seats ; if they are in single digit numbers then probably is in 1st

R is no longer used for 1st class, it was used for 1st class on 388 services; R is now used for Premium Economy priced above T but below W

if it is actually booked in premium economy with Qantas, then that is what I would expect that you fly in

Looking at paid fare on Expert Flyer, the published R r/t fare for that period is $5295 and is in Premium Economy

I would call QF and check asap since I suspect that it is not in 1st class

if it isn't and when you purchased the booking system told you it was 1st class before you bought it, I would suggest trying to get a refund with the cancellation penties waived

Dave

Last edited by Dave Noble; Nov 3, 09 at 10:26 pm
Dave Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 09, 10:27 pm   #3
Original Poster
  
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Programs: QF*WP QF*LTG
Posts: 108
Hi Dave

According to the QF www it's PE - and that's where the preselected seats are. However according to the travel agents email confirmation and booking it's F...

Surely I'm in my rights to demand the F seat - as that is what I have searched and booked? I'm not paying this for a PE seat to LHR...

Tried to read the rules on the bestflights.com.au website however it doesnt say anything about this.

Thaigold
thaigold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 09, 10:29 pm   #4
FlyerTalk Evangelist
  
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 35,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaigold View Post
Hi Dave

According to the QF www it's PE - and that's where the preselected seats are. However according to the travel agents email confirmation and booking it's F...

Surely I'm in my rights to demand the F seat - as that is what I have searched and booked? I'm not paying this for a PE seat to LHR...

Tried to read the rules on the bestflights.com.au website however it doesnt say anything about this.

Thaigold
You have no right from Qantas to travel in 1st given that you have purchased a premium economy ticket. Your demands for a seat in 1st will be refused

If you want to fly 1st class, then you will have to purchase a 1st class ticket and not a PE ticket.

The Qantas system correctly shows the R class as Premium Economy, your issue is with the Travel Agent. Unless you are happy to pay 6k for PE, then I would get onto Bestflights and get a refund

Dave
Dave Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 09, 10:32 pm   #5
  
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,107
I think your problem is best resolved with bestflights - It seems they haven't updated their system to reflect that R is now a Premium Economy class and no longer first.

I'd be on the phone now with bestflights.

\
eoinnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 09, 10:42 pm   #6
Original Poster
  
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Programs: QF*WP QF*LTG
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by eoinnz View Post
I think your problem is best resolved with bestflights - It seems they haven't updated their system to reflect that R is now a Premium Economy class and no longer first.

I'd be on the phone now with bestflights.

\
Hey again

I realise my problem isn't with Qantas but with Bestflights. I am just wondering how they can sell and confirm a F booking and then it's actually PE?! Just imagine the disappointment at the airport if I didn't realise this

Aren't Bestflights responsible for their fares? Especially when the booking has gone through?

I have spoken to Bestflights and they are looking in to the booking.

Thaigold
thaigold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 09, 10:46 pm   #7
  
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,107
Well the change is very very recent - it's possible they didn't get the memo about it. I'm sure there is something on their conditions that limits what they are required to give you. While I don't think they'll offer you an F ticket at the very least I suspect they will offer you a refund.

Let us know what they say.
eoinnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 09, 11:01 pm   #8
Original Poster
  
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Programs: QF*WP QF*LTG
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by eoinnz View Post
Well the change is very very recent - it's possible they didn't get the memo about it. I'm sure there is something on their conditions that limits what they are required to give you. While I don't think they'll offer you an F ticket at the very least I suspect they will offer you a refund.

Let us know what they say.
I will let you know...

Even on Qantas www they still have the R class as First

Premium Economy T, W
Business C, D, I, J
First A, F, R


Thaigold
thaigold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 09, 11:03 pm   #9
FlyerTalk Evangelist
  
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 35,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaigold View Post
I will let you know...

Even on Qantas www they still have the R class as First

Premium Economy T, W
Business C, D, I, J
First A, F, R


Thaigold
Regardless, it seems pretty clear (to me) that you have a PE ticket

If you are not satisfied with that, then get onto Best Flights ASAP and request a refund waving cancellation penalties

Best Flights seem not to have updated their systems and are mistakenly claiming to offer 1st class for a v low fare so there should be no problem getting a full refund

Dave
Dave Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 09, 11:04 pm   #10
FlyerTalk Evangelist
  
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Melbourne
Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattGlobalist►HiltS
Posts: 19,668
See this announcement from October 22:

http://www.qantas.com.au/agents/dyn/qf/news/200910/1050

Quote:
Qantas Introduces R Class for International Premium Economy 22 October 2009

Effective 04 November 2009, Qantas will introduce the R inventory class for use in the International Premium Economy Cabin for departures on or after Monday 16 November 2009.

R class will be inventory controlled and sit between W class and T class.

T class year round fares will move to R class. T class will be used for tactical fares as required. ...
See here from yesterday:

http://www.qantas.com.au/agents/dyn/qf/news/200911/1108

Quote:
International Premium Economy Fares Update 03 November 2009

The following Premium Economy fares have been released for sale effective 04 November 2009:

...

Australia to UK / Europe Premium Economy Super Saver OW/RT Excursion Fares (QF/BA) (R*SS1Y/ R*SSOW)
- QF R class fare introduced for Travel from 16Nov09
- BA E class fare introduced for Travel from 16Nov09
- Existing T class fares, travel end 15Nov09.
serfty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 09, 11:13 pm   #11
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge
  
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: STR/SYD/SMF
Programs: QF SG, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P
Posts: 13,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaigold View Post
Hey again

I realise my problem isn't with Qantas but with Bestflights. I am just wondering how they can sell and confirm a F booking and then it's actually PE?! Just imagine the disappointment at the airport if I didn't realise this

Aren't Bestflights responsible for their fares? Especially when the booking has gone through?

I have spoken to Bestflights and they are looking in to the booking.

Thaigold
Many people here have reported problems with Bestflights so it doesn't surprise that they have not updated their system yet.

I hope this is a fully refundable fare otherwise you will have a very long discussion.
DownUnderFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 09, 11:16 pm   #12
Original Member
  
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Posts: 18,614
In many countries airlines are liable for the actions of their agents, particularly if the agent has been paid a fee by the airline. Legally the agent is acting as a representative of the airline; however the legal "paper" is the actual ticket issued by the agent and not the covering description. So if the ticket is for Premium Economy and the cover letter says "First", you have a PE ticket and no legal claim (except for fraud against the agent but not the airline). If the agent erroneously issued an F ticket, for example, the airline would have to honour it and could not deny you passage, saying that was a fraudulent ticket for example. Probably it is a valid R PE ticket and you are out of luck for anything other than a refund or whatever goodwill gesture bestflights is willing to make. This type of confusion does come up from time to time when the meaning of fare codes is changed.
number_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 09, 11:20 pm   #13
FlyerTalk Evangelist
  
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Melbourne
Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattGlobalist►HiltS
Posts: 19,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaigold View Post
...
I have a confirmation email from the travel agent confirming First ...
I would be hanging on to that email!

Do not delete it! It may be your only proof you believe you were booking First.

Also, I'd be going through the booking process, step by step and taking screen shots of each page - it may all be different tomorrow.
serfty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 09, 11:32 pm   #14
  
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sydney
Programs: Qantas Platinum, HH Blue, SPG PLatinum
Posts: 288
I am on the phoen with best flights now, the said its PE, a mistake.

Interesting enough when Qantas first brought out R class for the A380, I booked an exconomy ticket Sin - Syd return for S$900 on Qantas website and it was confirmed, "economy not available travel wiill be in First Class".

I also doubted that I would actually get a F suite so I called Qantas and they confirmed that for S$900, I would not receive a F Suite sorth S$5,000, however, they compensated my by giving me 50% of the fare componjent of the economy class fare.
guybaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 09, 11:41 pm   #15
Original Poster
  
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Programs: QF*WP QF*LTG
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by number_6 View Post
In many countries airlines are liable for the actions of their agents, particularly if the agent has been paid a fee by the airline. Legally the agent is acting as a representative of the airline; however the legal "paper" is the actual ticket issued by the agent and not the covering description. So if the ticket is for Premium Economy and the cover letter says "First", you have a PE ticket and no legal claim (except for fraud against the agent but not the airline). If the agent erroneously issued an F ticket, for example, the airline would have to honour it and could not deny you passage, saying that was a fraudulent ticket for example. Probably it is a valid R PE ticket and you are out of luck for anything other than a refund or whatever goodwill gesture bestflights is willing to make. This type of confusion does come up from time to time when the meaning of fare codes is changed.
Well the problem is that they don't give you the fare class on the ticket - hence you can only believe that you are actually booked in the right cabin, which should be the case.

This is ours - few details removed:



Flight Booking, Payment Confirmation and E-ticket
Your Booking Reference is:
xxxxxx
This is your e-ticket. Please print and carry with you at all times when travelling.
Thank you for booking with Best Flights. We are now processing your payment. This confirmation is also your actual e-ticket and payment receipt.
Your e-ticket must be carried with you at all times. Photographic identification may be required at any stage of your journey.
If you wish to alter any details of your booking please ring our on-line service centre on
1300 737 410 (within Australia) or + 61 8 9227 3380 (outside Australia).
Please note amendment and cancellation charges will apply.

Flight Schedule - First Class Flights

Airline Duration Departs / Arrives
(local time)
FLIGHTS
OUT

Qantas Airways
(QF 31) 23h 15m Sydney [SYD]
16:25 xx-Jun-2010 London-Heathrow [LHR]
06:40 xx-Jun-2010

FLIGHTS
BACK

Qantas Airways
(QF 2) 22h 15m London-Heathrow [LHR]
22:15 xx-Jul-2010 Sydney [SYD]
05:30 xx-Jul-2010

Fare Conditions
Passenger & Pricing Information
Name/Item Price Taxes Total
Lead Passenger xxxx $5,189.10 $556.60 $5,745.70

Adult 2 xxxx $5,189.10 $556.60 $5,745.70

Other Charges Best Flights Service Fee $18.95 $18.95

Total Price (Australian Dollars): $11,510.35


Still waiting for Bestflights to call me back - had to discuss with management and IT department...
Thaigold

Last edited by thaigold; Nov 3, 09 at 11:43 pm Reason: additional info
thaigold is offline   Reply With Quote
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Thread Tools
Search Thread
Go to Top
Forum Jump
Contact Us - FlyerTalk - Archive - Top