FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   Radical devaluation: can't sit in biz anymore on SQ Asian connections on biz award (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/601502-radical-devaluation-cant-sit-biz-anymore-sq-asian-connections-biz-award.html)

SAT Lawyer Sep 13, 2006 6:04 pm

Radical devaluation: can't sit in biz anymore on SQ Asian connections on biz award

I'm having a huge nightmare with an upcoming Star Alliance business class award reservation. But this monumental rules change warrants its own separate thread . . .

According to two UA agents with whom I spoke, UA has now modified the rules for SQ business class award redemptions. The old rule used to permit a traveler claiming a business class award to sit in business class on all three cabin SQ flights and in business class on two cabin SQ flights only if they were on the nonstop flights between LAX/EWR and SIN (either direction).

Now, UA apparently only allows passengers redeeming Star Alliance business class awards to sit in economy on SQ-operated connecting flights in Asia. In other words, the two cabin/three cabin distinction has been eliminated and only those claiming first class awards will ever sit in a premium cabin on a SQ-operated connecting flight in Asia. The new rule as read to me states (not verbatim, but recorded to the best of my ability):
X/I/O class not offered on all routes

For SQ business class awards with stopovers/connections to or from transatlantic/transpacific flights, book I across the Atlantic/Pacific and X for onward connecting flights operated by SQ.
Apparently this rule change was made within the last two weeks.

This is a huge blow to pasengers like myself redeeming South Asia Star Alliance business class awards. Why should we not sit in business class on a business class award when the aircraft is a three cabin aircraft? And the apparent loophole makes no sense; ostensibly, you can circumvent the rule and sit in business on SQ-operated intra-Asian flights provided that you fly a carrier other than SQ across the pond.

:td: :td: :td: :td: :td:

Anybody else encountered this new rule?

lucky9876coins Sep 13, 2006 6:13 pm

I HOPE this is not true! Terrible if so! :td:

qasr Sep 13, 2006 6:14 pm

I can't believe this is true.

This is not just a devaluation, this is a radical change in the T&C's of the MP program with absolutely zero prior notice. :td:

SFOtoORD Sep 13, 2006 6:16 pm

I wonder how this rule would apply to one of the through flights like SFO-ICN-SIN or SFO-HKG-SIN? Would you literally be sitting in C one segment only to get back onto the same plane in Y?

SAT Lawyer Sep 13, 2006 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by SFOtoORD
I wonder how this rule would apply to one of the through flights like SFO-ICN-SIN or SFO-HKG-SIN? Would you literally be sitting in C one segment only to get back onto the same plane in Y?

Probably not because those flights are direct and have the same flight number and should not be considered true connections, but who knows. SQ #11/12 (LAX-NRT-SIN and vice versa) are two others that come to mind.

How long till this devaluation makes its way into the rules though?

lucky9876coins Sep 13, 2006 6:41 pm

Out of shear curiosity I am calling the 1K Rez to ask, and the agent did not know about it. I ask her to check on it, and I have been on hold for five minutes. Let's see what she says...

It's true. That really, really pi$$es me off!

All these little "devaluations" are really starting to get to me.

HeathrowGuy Sep 13, 2006 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
I'm having a huge nightmare with an upcoming Star Alliance business class award reservation. But this monumental rules change warrants its own separate thread . . .

According to two UA agents with whom I spoke, UA has now modified the rules for SQ business class award redemptions. The old rule used to permit a traveler claiming a business class award to sit in business class on all three cabin SQ flights and in business class on two cabin SQ flights only if they were on the nonstop flights between LAX/EWR and SIN (either direction).

Now, UA apparently only allows passengers redeeming Star Alliance business class awards to sit in economy on SQ-operated connecting flights in Asia. In other words, the two cabin/three cabin distinction has been eliminated and only those claiming first class awards will ever sit in a premium cabin on a SQ-operated connecting flight in Asia. The new rule as read to me and states (not verbatim, but recorded to the best of my ability):
X/I/O class not offered on all routes

For SQ business class awards with stopovers/connections to or from transatlantic/transpacific flights, book I across the Atlantic/Pacific and X for onward connecting flights operated by SQ.
Apparently this rule change was made within the last two weeks.

This is a huge blow to pasengers like myself redeeming South Asia Star Alliance business class awards. Why should we not sit in business class on a business class award when the aircraft is a three cabin aircraft? And the apparent loophole makes no sense; ostensibly, you can circumvent the rule and sit in business on SQ-operated intra-Asian flights provided that you fly a carrier other than SQ across the pond.

:td: :td: :td: :td: :td:

Anybody else encountered this new rule?

Theoretically, it won't just apply to simply intra-Asia, but Europe-Asia SQ flights too, as that's neither TATL nor TPAC...

HeadInTheClouds Sep 13, 2006 7:01 pm

As I read this, I was instantly reminded of robb's post on the "no more E+ access for non-UA *A Gold/Silver" thread. I really hope these kind of things aren't the wave of the future. The * world won't be a very fun place to be. :(

cstead Sep 13, 2006 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by SFOtoORD

On a C award ticket, you'll sit in Y on SFO-ICN-SIN anyways

holtju2 Sep 13, 2006 7:07 pm

Are you sure that you just didn't get any of the few misinformed UA agents that seems to be around there?

If something like this would arise when I am making a booking I would ask a copy of the appropriate profile.

lucky9876coins Sep 13, 2006 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by holtju2
Are you sure that you just didn't get any of the few misinformed UA agents that seems to be around there?

If something like this would arise when I am making a booking I would ask a copy of the appropriate profile.

I called independent of the OP, and got the agent who also read the rules to me.

SAT Lawyer Sep 13, 2006 7:18 pm

I had two different agents and a supervisor read me the information in the first post so I must assume that it is accurate.

However if anybody has access or can gain access to this profile, I think we'd all be well served by a verbatim recitation here.

Perhaps for the first time ever, I would be absolutely ecstatic to be wrong! ;)

holtju2 Sep 13, 2006 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
I called independent of the OP, and got the agent who also read the rules to me.

Then the new "rule" is absolutely ridiculous.

So if you book C you get Y but if you book F you get F or do they downgrade the F segment(s) to C on connecting flights?

This "profile" refers to SQ business awards but how about *A mixed awards. If you want to fly FRA-SIN on SQ C you must fly other carrier than SQ from US to FRA i.e. Lufthansa.

UA doesn’t make it any easier than before to redeem *A awards but that is the purpose of these rules enhancements I guess.

HeathrowGuy Sep 13, 2006 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by kb1992
:td: :td: :td: :td: :td: :td:

What about NH C awards ORD-NRT-PVG? Do I sit in Y on the NRT-PVG leg? :confused:

No effect upon NH awards - NH keeps it rather simple - you get the cabin you redeem for if it's available.

lucky9876coins Sep 13, 2006 7:25 pm

What about NH C awards ORD-NRT-PVG? Do I sit in Y on the NRT-PVG leg? :confused:

No, only SQ.

kb1992 Sep 13, 2006 7:25 pm

does this also affect NH?

I had two different agents and a supervisor read me the information in the first post so I must assume that it is accurate.

However if anybody has access or can gain access to this profile, I think we'd all be well served by a verbatim recitation here.

Perhaps for the first time ever, I would be absolutely ecstatic to be wrong! ;)

holtju2 Sep 13, 2006 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
No effect upon NH awards - NH keeps it rather simple - you get the cabin you redeem for if it's available.

I believe that it is not really up to SQ but rather UA to be cheapskate on these. They just don't want UA FF to redeem miles on partners.

holtju2 Sep 13, 2006 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by attention deficit
Sorry... not true. Just spoke to 4 different agents and they all confirmed that the rule only applies if it is on a 2-cabin aircraft.

It would be best for all of us if we could have a direct access to those UA profiles so that we could "train" the CSR when making bookings.

lucky9876coins Sep 13, 2006 7:28 pm

Sorry... not true. Just spoke to 4 different agents and they all confirmed that the rule only applies if it is on a 2-cabin aircraft.

Did you ask them to go and check the rule, as opposed to going off of their basic knowledge?

Mine said it was not true as well until she went to check it out.

attention deficit Sep 13, 2006 7:29 pm

holtju2 Sep 13, 2006 7:32 pm

It would be best for all of us if we could have a direct access to those UA * profiles so that we could "train" the CSR when making bookings and not to cause havoc here on FT.

SAT Lawyer Sep 13, 2006 7:36 pm

I hope you are right.

How the heck are we getting so many radically different explanations from UA? I can understand the confusion arising from the two cabin/three cabin distinction, but I had two agents read the alleged new rule to me verbatim. :confused:

Can somebody with access -- a UA insider, travel agent, or whomever -- please post the applicable rule currently in effect?

SAT Lawyer Sep 13, 2006 7:37 pm

Did you ask them to go and check the rule, as opposed to going off of their basic knowledge?

Mine said it was not true as well until she went to check it out.

My experience as well.

HeathrowGuy Sep 13, 2006 7:38 pm

This is REAL!

The aforementioned beyond-longhaul-in-Coach rule applies to BOTH 2 AND 3 cabin aircraft - previously, it was interpreted to apply only to 2-cabin aircraft, and this interpretation was incorrect.

There isn't a profile code entry - the CSR said he looked in "FLASH" to see this.

Hope this helps.

attention deficit Sep 13, 2006 7:39 pm

It would be best for all of us if we could have a direct access to those UA * profiles so that we could "train" the CSR when making bookings and not to cause havoc here on FT.

I agree... the first guy went and read something from MPI Singaporeair.... that's at least what he mumbled. The others just said "let me check," put me on hold, and came back with their answer.

qasr Sep 13, 2006 7:48 pm

If that is the case, then this is better than the old rule, since you get I transpac then?

kb1992 Sep 13, 2006 7:52 pm

Can somebody with access -- a UA insider, travel agent, or whomever -- please post the applicable rule currently in effect?

Paging UnitedSkies .........................................

HeathrowGuy Sep 13, 2006 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by qasr
If that is the case, then this is better than the old rule, since you get I transpac then?

The agent I spoke to looked at the Flash entry, and found the new rule. If an agent does not check Flash, they won't see it, as it's not yet in the profile text proper, from what I've gathered.

qasr Sep 13, 2006 8:00 pm

The agent I spoke to looked at the Flash entry, and found the new rule. If an agent does not check Flash, they won't see it, as it's not yet in the profile text proper, from what I've gathered.

What is flash exactly? Like some sort of more up to date addendum to the profiles? Do the profiles at least say to check flash if there is a relevant change?

qasr Sep 13, 2006 8:00 pm

Paging UnitedSkies .........................................

Wow is there a lot of colour in that post...

andre1970 Sep 13, 2006 8:11 pm

I believe that it is not really up to SQ but rather UA to be cheapskate on these. They just don't want UA FF to redeem miles on partners.

Exactly. Has nothing to do with "retaliation" by SQ or anything of this kind as alluded by a previous poster. It rather moves to the same direction with the well known limited *A award availability MP gives to its members. They just don't want to pay others...

attention deficit Sep 13, 2006 9:02 pm

I'm speaking to an agent now who is a member of Flyertalk!!!!

He is checking right now... on the Flash thing. But he needs a flash number. So he is searching...

qasr Sep 13, 2006 9:11 pm

I'm speaking to an agent now who is a member of Flyertalk!!!!

He is checking right now... on the Flash thing. But he needs a flash number. So he is searching...

Exciting ... and curious!

Tell us what happens!

sftrvlr Sep 13, 2006 9:34 pm

Ask and ye shall receive ... :D

From the new and "improved" rules under S*MPI/STAR-AWARD RULES.R:

**NOTE: X/I/O IS NOT OFFERED ON ALL ROUTES.
FOR SQ BUSINESS CLASS AWARDS WITH CONNECTIONS/STOPOVERS
TO/FROM A TRANSOCEANIC FLIGHT BOOK *I* CLASS FOR TRANSOCEANIC
FLIGHT ACROSS THE ATLANTIC/PACIFIC AND *X* FOR ONWARD FLT
EXAMPLE - SQ BUSINESS CLASS AWARD LAXDPS
BOOK *I* LAX-SIN AND *X* SIN-DPS
SQ AWARDS THAT DO NOT INVOLVE A TRANSOCEANIC
SECTOR USE *I* FOR ALL SECTORS INCLUDING 2 CABIN AIRCRAFT

HeathrowGuy Sep 13, 2006 9:49 pm

Upon sober reflection:

Well, it's a positive that all 2-cabin flights (except those connecting to/from a longhaul) are now again bookable in I (if the posted text is the complete text of the rule). Given that it's often possible to either swing via BKK or else take on oddball Star flight to most South Asian/Central Asian cities and remain within MPM, the new SQ rule is only moderately more annoying than the old one.

SAT Lawyer Sep 13, 2006 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by sftrvlr
**NOTE: X/I/O IS NOT OFFERED ON ALL ROUTES.
FOR SQ BUSINESS CLASS AWARDS WITH CONNECTIONS/STOPOVERS
TO/FROM A TRANSOCEANIC FLIGHT BOOK *I* CLASS FOR TRANSOCEANIC
FLIGHT ACROSS THE ATLANTIC/PACIFIC AND *X* FOR ONWARD FLT
EXAMPLE - SQ BUSINESS CLASS AWARD LAXDPS
BOOK *I* LAX-SIN AND *X* SIN-DPS
SQ AWARDS THAT DO NOT INVOLVE A TRANSOCEANIC
SECTOR USE *I* FOR ALL SECTORS INCLUDING 2 CABIN AIRCRAFT

How exactly does UA define "SQ BUSINESS CLASS AWARDS"? What if the transoceanic flight is SQ-operated, but the connection is operated by a different Star Alliance carrier than SQ? Coach on the non-SQ connection as well? Or does the rule only apply to SQ/SQ connections?

fumitani Sep 13, 2006 9:58 pm

But if you pay for F you still get the O bucket on the onwards connection?

sftrvlr Sep 13, 2006 10:00 pm

How exactly does UA define "SQ BUSINESS CLASS AWARDS"? What if the transoceanic flight is SQ-operated, buy the connection is operated by a different Star Alliance carrier than SQ? Coach on the non-SQ connection as well? Or does the rule only apply to SQ/SQ connections?

It's open to interpretation, but I would think it's SQ/SQ.

SAT Lawyer Sep 13, 2006 10:05 pm

Upon sober reflection:

Well, it's a positive that all 2-cabin flights (except those connecting to/from a longhaul) are now again bookable in I (if the posted text is the complete text of the rule). Given that it's often possible to either swing via BKK or else take on oddball Star flight to most South Asian/Central Asian cities and remain within MPM, the new SQ rule is only moderately more annoying than the old one.

I think the rule change is atrocious, notwithstanding the good news that we can now fly to TPE and ICN in business class without paying the miles for first or settling for a connection.

What is the possible justification for forcing somebody who cashes in the mileage for a business class award to sit in coach, especially when the SQ connection offers both a business class and a first class cabin? :confused:

This puts a significant damper on using SIN as a connection point on award travel. And it is basically sounds the death knell for business class redemptions to CMB (TG has a non-daily nonstop which, from anecdotal experience, never shows up in UA's award booking system). :td:

But perhaps the worst aspect of the change is the complete and utter lack of notice. At least the unwelcome October award redemption changes were flagged in advance. Here, UA has cold-cocked its customers and yanked the rug out from underneath 'em without so much as a peep. :mad:

HeathrowGuy Sep 13, 2006 10:05 pm

How exactly does UA define "SQ BUSINESS CLASS AWARDS"? What if the transoceanic flight is SQ-operated, buy the connection is operated by a different Star Alliance carrier than SQ? Coach on the non-SQ connection as well? Or does the rule only apply to SQ/SQ connections?

IME, any award that includes at least one SQ-operated segment falls within the purview of the SQ rules.