Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

AC/UA: January 2018 MSP- Prague $2,224, FCO $2,442

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2017, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

I have been searching for a place to go in January that isn't a beach. Business class, of course.

The dates I have been plugging in on Kayak are for the beginning of the month I found great fares for Prague on Air Canada. $2224

The Rome fares are a mix of United and Air Canada. $2,442

Venice is good but not as great at $2677 again on United and Air Canada. I am considering going into one city and out the other.

Even if it is "cold" and rainy, it will be a whole lot warmer than MSP!

edited to add: Nice with 2 stops is $2614 with the transatlantic on Swiss.

Last edited by mules; Aug 25, 2017 at 3:51 pm
Old Aug 25, 2017, 6:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Many places outside of Nice will be closed for low season, which is taken very seriously in this part of France. However, Nice itself or Monaco will be pleasant and certainly much warmer than MN.

You can sometimes find good business class fares to Madrid and Barcelona, where the latter is likely to have pleasant weather, or you could go south along the coast to Valencia or Alicante.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your advice. I will be lucky to get my husband out of the office for 10 days or so.

In the timeframe I am looking at none of the Spanish cities or the Portuguese ones had fares that I would consider a deal (as of 3 pm today.)

In the Nice area, would art museums be closed as well? I was thinking of doing something along the lines of into Paris and out of Nice or vice versa.

For other MSP fliers looking to get away, I also found a $3000 ish business class fare to Singapore on Air China. The monsoon season humidity will keep me away but it is tempting. They also had similar prices to Tokyo and Osaka but I am passing on those.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 10:02 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by mules
Thanks for your advice. I will be lucky to get my husband out of the office for 10 days or so.

In the timeframe I am looking at none of the Spanish cities or the Portuguese ones had fares that I would consider a deal (as of 3 pm today.)

In the Nice area, would art museums be closed as well? I was thinking of doing something along the lines of into Paris and out of Nice or vice versa.

For other MSP fliers looking to get away, I also found a $3000 ish business class fare to Singapore on Air China. The monsoon season humidity will keep me away but it is tempting. They also had similar prices to Tokyo and Osaka but I am passing on those.
I don't know the cost of a positioning flight to/from ORD but you can get from ORD to BKK in early January on TK for around $2800 - $2900. I've been in Thailand in January and the weather is very pleasant.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 10:09 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

Some of the small art museums in villages might close for the season, but the ones in Nice should be open (except for the traditional Monday or maybe Tuesday weekly closing day), but the opening hours might be a bit shorter.

Similarly, outside of Nice, many hotels and restaurants (and I would assume bars) close for the season.

You should be able to easily check the specifics of places that interest you on the internet.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Nice find. I don't recommend Prague in November... Rome will be much more pleasant.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 1:53 pm

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
If you can wait a bit until February, the Feb 17-March 7 Menton Lemon Festival is enchanting.

Lemon trees are blooming, festival floats are delightful, and you can even pop across the border to Italy just for lunch via train (~$10 return).

I did this several years ago, starting west in Perpignan (Impressionists painted along there), and working my way along the Mediterranean coast to Menton.

As you know, MN will just barely be starting to warm up in Feb, and you will be even more tired of winter.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by SFOPeter
Nice find. I don't recommend Prague in November... Rome will be much more pleasant.
If it is cold enough to snow, Prague is a very beautiful place to see.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 7:59 pm

Munich, Salzburg, and Vienna are also beautiful in the snow, but Venice, Athens, and Istanbul, and Jerusalem even more so as snow is rare.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 7:49 am
Original Poster

If I drop my daughter out of the equation (back in college)-

Nice on Feb 27 currently shows on Matrix as $1670 for 8 nights!

Feb 26 to Malta for 8 nights is $2163

Feb 19 and 26 to Venice is $1763

Madrid in Feb on Tuesdays and Thursdays is just under $2000
Old Aug 29, 2017, 9:41 am

Programs: UA 1K Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Amex Plat
Just booked RT JFK-PRG P-class via united.com for $2,130 PP all-in for December 2017 (8 days to visit Christmas Markets w/mrs_msg75).

Brussels Airlines Out/Lufthansa Return.

https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...2-10;sc=b;a=UA

Great value and great haul of points:

21,298 AMEX MR points (payed w/AMEX Plat)
21,802 RDMs x 2 (both 1K)
16,796 PQM x 2
1,980 PQD x 2

Using avg points valuations netting ~$1,000 of MR/MP points for mrs_msg and myself def helps take the sting off a $4k glüwein run!
Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA *G. DL ̶G̶O̶L̶D̶ Member, Hilton/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
I have been searching for a place to go in January that isn't a beach. Business class, of course.

The dates I have been plugging in on Kayak are for the beginning of the month I found great fares for Prague on Air Canada. $2224

The Rome fares are a mix of United and Air Canada. $2,442

Venice is good but not as great at $2677 again on United and Air Canada. I am considering going into one city and out the other.

Even if it is "cold" and rainy, it will be a whole lot warmer than MSP!

edited to add: Nice with 2 stops is $2614 with the transatlantic on Swiss.

While many places on the french Riviera will be in low season mode I have visited numerous times during that period and have bern quite suitably entertained.

In fact we usually stay in the hill town of Grasse just up the road frome Nice and Cannes. st paul de vence is a short drive and Grasse itself is lovely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.