Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

AirBerlin: SFO/JFK - DUS nonstop $2700

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AirBerlin: SFO/JFK - DUS nonstop $2700

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2017, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kirker
AND they're not refunding existing tickets for anyone worried they might go under before their planned trip. No bueno. Also, $2700 isn't even a good fare! OW and *A airlines have been running various J sales -- including flights less than 48 hours out -- between $1,750-$2,150 for most of the past month ex-NYC as well as ex-WAS.
Agree. They'd have to cut that fare at least into half to make me even consider it!
Old Aug 21, 2017, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
This is just crazy to even consider it.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by kirker
AND they're not refunding existing tickets for anyone worried they might go under before their planned trip. No bueno. Also, $2700 isn't even a good fare! OW and *A airlines have been running various J sales -- including flights less than 48 hours out -- between $1,750-$2,150 for most of the past month ex-NYC as well as ex-WAS.
Why on earth would they all of a sudden make all of their tickets refundable?
Old Aug 22, 2017, 1:32 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold,
Originally Posted by largeeyes
Why on earth would they all of a sudden make all of their tickets refundable?
AB is refusing to refund even FULLY REFUNDABLE tickets purchased prior to the bankruptcy date. Just let that sink in.

-G
Old Aug 22, 2017, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nk15
This is just crazy to even consider it.
Nothing like bankruptcy to add a bit of excitement to your life!
Old Aug 22, 2017, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by Calchas
Nothing like bankruptcy to add a bit of excitement to your life!
And here I was thinking I was so spicy for living on the edge with an Alitalia codeshare of a bunch of flights never actually flown on their metal.

If someone doesn't sweat after throwing $2,700 at this one, then they probably can afford to fly way better than Air Berlin business class anyways.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 10:00 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Well ... if you pay with a credit card and they don't fly, you do get your money back. One of the business quandaries of running an airline in financial trouble is that the credit card companies assess the credit worthiness of an airline because the law in the US is that the traveler gets a refund from the credit card company if the airline goes under.

So, for example, when you buy a ticket on DL to fly in September, the credit card companies pays DL now. In contrast, if the credit card company is worried about being on the hook, they won't pay AB until the flight is flown or only pay a small portion of the fare in advance. This creates a spiral.

All that being said, I don't think $2700 is all that bad from the west coast. Can you still earn Aadvantage miles based on the business class fare?
Old Aug 22, 2017, 10:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Well ... if you pay with a credit card and they don't fly, you do get your money back.
Except your plans are ruined.

Add me to the list of "why would anyone even consider this?"
Old Aug 22, 2017, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Despite the government-sponsored credit facility AB might be running out of operating funds in less that 3 months resulting in curtailed flight operations soon.

https://www.cash.ch/news/top-news/tr...faelle-1095130

(in German)
Old Aug 23, 2017, 4:36 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Despite the government-sponsored credit facility AB might be running out of operating funds in less that 3 months resulting in curtailed flight operations soon.

https://www.cash.ch/news/top-news/tr...faelle-1095130

(in German)
It appears (according to the Google translation of the article) that the credit card holdback of payments until the passenger actually flies the booked travel is largely responsible for the cash shortfall.

Not criticizing the practice, just pointing out that @C17PSGR was correct.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 12:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by cheltzel
It appears (according to the Google translation of the article) that the credit card holdback of payments until the passenger actually flies the booked travel is largely responsible for the cash shortfall.

Not criticizing the practice, just pointing out that @C17PSGR was correct.
Several years ago, I flew F9 as my secondary airline when they were trying to compete in the JetBlue/B6 style. On day, I was taking the redeye to NYC and as the plane was sitting at the gate in Den, it was obvious that something had happened with gate agents talking to the flight crew. Turned out that F9 had just filed bankruptcy unexpectedly and the reason was that the credit card processor had upped the holdback and that killed their cash immediately.

So, buying a ticket for travel in the near term probably doesn't have a lot of financial risk (assuming you are from the US with a US credit card) but I'll agree about the travel disruption issue.

But ... does AB still give AA miles for travel?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.