Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

*A ORD-FCO J around $2500

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2017, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: aadvantage, mileage plus, millemiglia

I'm seeing Mon-Wed departures and Mon-Thurs. returns going into next Spring for just over $2500 in business on various combinations of Swiss, UA, AC. Not quite MR territory, but lower than usual on this route. TK via IST is often cheap, but other than that, it's a route that sees few discounts. Unfortunately, it doesn't work for my dates, but I'm hoping it may help someone. Around $2300 ex-BOS or JFK.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Personally, I would take the TK flights for a few more miles for a modest increase (like $30) in overall fare.

TK has often been the value leader to Europe out of Chicago. I am seeing ORD-IST-FCO for most of the fall into next spring for $2544 ai. And the cost per mile is significantly lower on TK ($0.201 vs $0.26) than any other *A route (via YYZ, FRA, MUC, etc),
Old Aug 7, 2017, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cheltzel
Personally, I would take the TK flights for a few more miles for a modest increase (like $30) in overall fare.

TK has often been the value leader to Europe out of Chicago. I am seeing ORD-IST-FCO for most of the fall into next spring for $2544 ai. And the cost per mile is significantly lower on TK ($0.201 vs $0.26) than any other *A route (via YYZ, FRA, MUC, etc),
Fair enough. From the point of view of acquiring EQMs and RDMs you are certainly correct. I am traveling with two children who have a limited number of days for Spring Break, so for me it's about maximizing time at the destination and minimizing temper tantrums, without breaking the bank. Unfortunately, I need a Thurs. departure, so I'm still waiting for the right fare to present itself. We'll see.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by goldmarch
Fair enough. From the point of view of acquiring EQMs and RDMs you are certainly correct. I am traveling with two children who have a limited number of days for Spring Break, so for me it's about maximizing time at the destination and minimizing temper tantrums, without breaking the bank. Unfortunately, I need a Thurs. departure, so I'm still waiting for the right fare to present itself. We'll see.
Agreed. Travelling with children makes it different. Call me a coward but I'd go for nonstop service and go with extra leg room Y seats or PE if possible instead of J.

Hopefully your spring break is late enough for the AA nonstop service ORD-FCO to start in late March. I don't think the UA and AZ nonstop service starts until May.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cheltzel
Agreed. Travelling with children makes it different. Call me a coward but I'd go for nonstop service and go with extra leg room Y seats or PE if possible instead of J.

Hopefully your spring break is late enough for the AA nonstop service ORD-FCO to start in late March. I don't think the UA and AZ nonstop service starts until May.
AA briefly lowered the price on the direct flight leaving on Thursday 3/29 (returning 4/8) to $2575. I noticed it while I was about to board a flight from MIA to ORD and had just enough time to call my TA. She was able to put it on a courtesy hold. When I landed they had already raised the price again, but they honored her hold and ticketed it at $2575. Not the best price ever, but with no connections and no positioning I'm pretty satisfied.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 2:41 am

Originally Posted by goldmarch
AA briefly lowered the price on the direct flight leaving on Thursday 3/29 (returning 4/8) to $2575. I noticed it while I was about to board a flight from MIA to ORD and had just enough time to call my TA. She was able to put it on a courtesy hold. When I landed they had already raised the price again, but they honored her hold and ticketed it at $2575. Not the best price ever, but with no connections and no positioning I'm pretty satisfied.
Sounds like a pretty decent outcome for you. I am glad it worked out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.