Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

SKY TEAM: NYC-SIN $2517 (China Eastern)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SKY TEAM: NYC-SIN $2517 (China Eastern)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2017, 2:48 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
OK, I did a dummy booking on the MU website which offered a $2,600 RT fare in biz class JFK-SGN for a trip in September. But the booking class appeared be "H" which on the Delta partner list appears to be an economy fare with 100% MQMs, not a business class MQM bonus. What is the correct answer here?
Old Jul 22, 2017, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by WillTravelForStories
This type of fare sale is no secret--MU has been advertising on their US FB and IG pages.

150-200% MQM if you credit to DL. And if you have PM or DM status, each Asian r/t should gets you 40000 SkyPesos, more or less.

And free airport limo (to/from LAX, SFO, ORD and JFK within 60 miles). If your final destination is PVG, you get free limo too. Or a longer layover like a few days in Shanghai, you get the free limo upon arrival in PVG, but not the departure leg.

No smoke smell on the past 6 JFK/PVG and 6 Shanghai/Taipei short haul biz flights I've taken. The FA service got better and better, maybe because I always say please and thank you to any FA and I also speak Mandarin to them.^^^

Free pajamas on ULH, just ask.

I book with MU NYC office directly and have contacts. I don't get referral bonus though. I just want MU do well in these routes and maintain the same discounted biz fares, which cost 50% less than DL, CI...etc.
Some of these FA, especially in J on the intl routes has been so mistreated by customers that all it takes is an ethnic Chinese speaking to them and being nice to them in Mandarin and you get treated like an Emperor.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:14 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
How has the FAA not fined them for smoking?
Old Jul 24, 2017, 9:44 am

Programs: DL DM 2.4MM
Originally Posted by qupasyd
The fare seems to have become widely available, from now through the end of 2017 and beyond.

A few other MU Asian fares are interesting as well:
HND - $2,250
MNL - $2,504
DEL - $2,567 (click through to search on the MU website)
SGN - $2,611

The TPAC segments book into J while the intra-Asia segments book into I. Credited to Delta, MU J earns 200% RDM, 200% MQM, and 40% MQD; I earns 175% RDM, 150% MQM, and 35% MQD.
It's interesting because when I look up the underlying fare (Expertflyer) and/or book diretly on China Eastern the segments in Asia book into I. I appreciated the J fare which would carry additional earning on Asia segments but that was only reflected on the reservation portion of Expedia etc (actual ticketing and fare looks like I).
Old Jul 24, 2017, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by langbr01
It's interesting because when I look up the underlying fare (Expertflyer) and/or book diretly on China Eastern the segments in Asia book into I. I appreciated the J fare which would carry additional earning on Asia segments but that was only reflected on the reservation portion of Expedia etc (actual ticketing and fare looks like I).
Sorry, in my initial post I put the codes backwards. J is the short segment and I is the long-haul segment.

You're right that there's ambiguity around the J. When I search over at ceair.com, I see most fares as I-I / I-I. Only a few have options with J segments. But when I search on Matrix, all itineraries come up as I-J / J-I fares. This is matched at Expedia. Does Expedia guarantee the codes you see at booking?
Old Jul 24, 2017, 11:57 pm

I booked mine through orbitz which i think is owned by expedia and got booked into the classes according to the boarding pass. Did a bit of lounge hopping but found the MU lounge up the escalator to be the best. Had to call china eastern directly to add my skymiles acct but it was pretty painless.
Attached Images  
Old Aug 4, 2017, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion& 2 Million Miler; Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by tentseller
Some of these FA, especially in J on the intl routes has been so mistreated by customers that all it takes is an ethnic Chinese speaking to them and being nice to them in Mandarin and you get treated like an Emperor.
I was very nice to all my FAs on Air China and China Southern. The Air China attendants were miserable and not nice and offered lazy service. China Southern were friendly and offered good service. That's just my experience. I flew Vistara last month in India (Biz class) and had a very good experience with their attendants. The food on Vistara on a domestic flight was the best i've ever had for domestic biz class, btw. Only issue is none of the Indian airlines serve alcohol on any of the domestic routes. But i upgraded from PE for only about $95 per flight. Still was worth it for me.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 2:52 am

Originally Posted by ATLConsultant
I was very nice to all my FAs on Air China and China Southern. The Air China attendants were miserable and not nice and offered lazy service. China Southern were friendly and offered good service. That's just my experience. I flew Vistara last month in India (Biz class) and had a very good experience with their attendants. The food on Vistara on a domestic flight was the best i've ever had for domestic biz class, btw. Only issue is none of the Indian airlines serve alcohol on any of the domestic routes. But i upgraded from PE for only about $95 per flight. Still was worth it for me.
Have you flown China Eastern in business? And were your Air China and China Southern flights in business?

Just curious how you would compare all of them.

My gut has always been China Eastern is the best, but I'm only going off anecdotes and other's opinions.

EDIT -- just read your initial post that you haven't flown China Eastern, unless this has changed in a few weeks.

Last edited by jiaogulan; Aug 5, 2017 at 3:17 am
Old Feb 1, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: DL Diamond
Finding Amex offer for $200 off $1000 purchase on China Eastern on multiple cards of mine. Any way to split this into 2 one ways? I'm seeing round trips as low as $23XX USD so $19XX for ~8k MQD and ~30k MQM is a deal I'm all over!

Last edited by DC777Fan; Feb 1, 2018 at 11:51 am
Old Feb 1, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DC777Fan
Finding Amex offer for $200 off $1000 purchase on China Eastern on multiple cards of mine. Any way to split this into 2 one ways? I'm seeing round trips as low as $23XX USD so $19XX for ~8k MQD and ~30k MQM is a deal I'm all over!
I looked, OW seems just about as expensive as RT. I bet you could charge part to one card, the balance to another, thereby accomplishing your purpose. I'm thinking about it, if you try let us know how it works out, so will I.
DC777Fan likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 8:21 am

Are you finding these fares on us.ceair.com or are you seeing them on ITA or other OTAs?
Matrix is full of phantom China Eastern fares where "I" is not actually available.
Regarding splitting the fare, I have only seen one payment option on their (absolutely horrific and impossible) website.
Calling in to book would not help as you would need to book online per the terms of the AMEX offer.

I too have been drooling over grabbing one of these for the MQMs and MQDs but cannot seem to find any that fit my schedule or routes.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Wheatbackpenny
Are you finding these fares on us.ceair.com or are you seeing them on ITA or other OTAs?
Matrix is full of phantom China Eastern fares where "I" is not actually available.
Regarding splitting the fare, I have only seen one payment option on their (absolutely horrific and impossible) website.
Calling in to book would not help as you would need to book online per the terms of the AMEX offer.

I too have been drooling over grabbing one of these for the MQMs and MQDs but cannot seem to find any that fit my schedule or routes.
I saw substantially similar fares on MU website. Concur, the site sucks. Good point on calling in vice paying online.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 7:57 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Thought of this today: Theoretically there's an option of asking Amex to split the payment. I've used the wrong card before (biz/personal) and they moved the charge without a fuss at all. Mayyyyybe they'd split it?
Old Feb 6, 2018, 6:31 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by DC777Fan
Why is there such a discrepancy with miles earned on China Eastern vs. China Southern. Found a good J fare on China Southern JFK-SIN but only getting 100% for EQM and banked miles and 20% EQD. You get double that on China Southern for the same fare class?
Old Feb 6, 2018, 10:06 pm

Programs: DL G, UA G, IHG SA
MU is a Tier 1 partner of DL while CZ is in Tier 3.

Originally Posted by divrdrew
Why is there such a discrepancy with miles earned on China Eastern vs. China Southern. Found a good J fare on China Southern JFK-SIN but only getting 100% for EQM and banked miles and 20% EQD. You get double that on China Southern for the same fare class?
​​​​​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.