Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

AA: ATL/YUL/YYZ-HNL ~$1146ai (First - USA Domestic)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA: ATL/YUL/YYZ-HNL ~$1146ai (First - USA Domestic)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2017, 1:45 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by HLCinCOU
Oh yeah, I supposed I've heard of this...seems like people mention the Citi Thank You points triggering these. Apparently Chase UR doesn't work though...or I did something wrong when I booked that way a few months back. If anybody knows a way to make the Chase travel portal trigger a special fare I'd love to hear about it...that would be super valuable.
All available data points show that using TYPs sometimes triggers distance-based special fares use; maybe even most of the time, but definitely not always. There have been a couple reports for Amex, showing mixed results; not sure about Chase UR.

There are also indications that a ticket re-issue, for whatever reason, often triggers it. So you could try to improve your odds by getting an SDFC, for example.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 9:27 am

Programs: AA EXP
SDFC?

For what its worth I recently purchased a special fare by using 1 UR point.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 10:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
All available data points show that using TYPs sometimes triggers distance-based special fares use; maybe even most of the time, but definitely not always. There have been a couple reports for Amex, showing mixed results; not sure about Chase UR.
All that seems right on target. Also I guess right around the time I was posting TPG put out an article on buying special fares. The article really isn't explicit about it, but apparently for all three cards' portals the real question is whether they're selling you a bulk fare. If it's a consolidator ticket it'll post as a special fare, otherwise it won't. And this article at boardingarea explains how to tell.

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
There are also indications that a ticket re-issue, for whatever reason, often triggers it. So you could try to improve your odds by getting an SDFC, for example.
Yep, this has happened to me a couple times already. Once when applying an SWU (though the other SWU I applied for the return didn't trigger it) and once for weather IRROPS. The SWU case was hugely beneficial, the weather one was the opposite. I called and had them re-do the weather one manually, which they did without a problem. On another thread there's talk that they sometimes go back and fix them retroactively though, so the SWU-based distance credit I got may not hold up. Anyway, be sure to call if you see a reticketing trigger a special fare that's not in your favor.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 10:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by trapped
SDFC?
Same Day Flight Change

Originally Posted by trapped
For what its worth I recently purchased a special fare by using 1 UR point.
Yeah, makes sense. Based on the above, it ought to work whether you use all points or 1 or probably even none (the Chase portal appears to let you do simple cash transactions although I haven't tried it).
Old Apr 12, 2017, 11:45 am

Programs: BA GGL
Trying to evaluate this on BA.

First ought to be 60+210TP e/w via DFW. So 540TP total.

Thought there was a policy change where AA domestic First dropped to business TP rewards, but even the BA official calculator is suggesting it would be as above.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 11:52 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
I got UA to replicate the fare ($600) on an outbound to HNL, but couldn't find anything under $1200 O/W coming back. (My dates are somewhat limited). And the outbound wasn't bookable as a standalone one way--it jumped to triple the price.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
Trying to evaluate this on BA.

First ought to be 60+210TP e/w via DFW. So 540TP total.

Thought there was a policy change where AA domestic First dropped to business TP rewards, but even the BA official calculator is suggesting it would be as above.
This will earn into Business.

It's specifically mentioned here by BA:
https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...-avios/flights

AA operated flights flown with two-cabin aircraft within the United States (including Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands) may be branded as First Class, but will earn miles based on Business Class (J,D,I,R) booking codes.

Still a good routing, especially via CLT and LAX. (40+140+140) x 2 = 640TPs (though in domestic F the whole way)
Old Apr 12, 2017, 1:50 pm
BCH

Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
I got UA to replicate the fare ($600) on an outbound to HNL, but couldn't find anything under $1200 O/W coming back. (My dates are somewhat limited). And the outbound wasn't bookable as a standalone one way--it jumped to triple the price.
That's GREAT! If the return works, I'd love to replicate that on UA. If you can share your dates and/or other details, I'll keep searching and share back, too. Thanks.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 6:16 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by BCH
That's GREAT! If the return works, I'd love to replicate that on UA. If you can share your dates and/or other details, I'll keep searching and share back, too. Thanks.
I was looking mid-July. I can't find it anymore--I had originally checked yesterday, but just posted about it today. Sorry for the false alarm--but keep checking, maybe there's hope!
Old Apr 12, 2017, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
I see it from YUL and YYZ as well. Similar prices.

Was able to route it ATL - MIA - LAX - HNL/KOA and back for just a few dollars more, increases EQMs by almost 2000. In theory the MIA-LAX can be the 3 class transcon configured A321, but I cant find that on my flight dates in October. Maybe they'll swap them in by then..

Also as a data point, I booked with CITI TY points, and my AA account displays the price. Thus AA can see the price, which negates of the theories about getting distance based EQDs on these. I wont know till October if I get them by distance or fare.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 11:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
On the A321 is it J or F? Also is the 757 outta PHX any good?
Old Apr 13, 2017, 12:12 am

Originally Posted by Edgerfly
On the A321 is it J or F? Also is the 757 outta PHX any good?
For schedule reasons, and maybe availability, I'm in what looks like a 2 class A321, so its domestic first. The citi portal called it business, and I'm in I class, so might be screwed even if they swap in one of the 3 class a321s.

They do run a 3 class 777 on the MIA-LAX route, but I think it's specifically excluded from this fare. I'll see if I can use a move up to sneak on!

I once used miles to upgrade on one of the US 757s phx to HNL. worst waste of 15000 miles ever.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 12:17 am
Suspended

So best to choose the 767 through DFW, no wonder they're the hardest to book.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by Edgerfly
So best to choose the 767 through DFW, no wonder they're the hardest to book.
Depends on if you want the extra EQMs that MIA generates. Through DFW is about 4500 miles each way (stopping in LA or not). ATL-MIA-LAX-HNL is about 5500. So thats 2000 EQMs extra each way.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 2:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ludocdoc
Depends on if you want the extra EQMs that MIA generates. Through DFW is about 4500 miles each way (stopping in LA or not). ATL-MIA-LAX-HNL is about 5500. So thats 2000 EQMs extra each way.
Meh, and miss out on the new 767 seats? I'll take the seats. I'm scheduled for a same day return and need it.

Thanks for this post! Great deal!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.