UA: LAX-SLC-EWR-LAX same-day turnaround ($529)

Subscribe
I'm not a UA flier, really, but looking for premium flights to NYC came across a random date in 2017 (July 2/3) where UA is offering a same day turnaround r/t, booking in P class, for $529.

Sharing this in case it is of help to any UA fliers who will fall short of elite qualification and are looking for an easy 10,000 PQMs.

The return flight (EWR-LAX) is nonstop on a 777.

https://www.google.com/flights/?gl=u...A1241;sc=b;s=1
Great find and great opportunity to try Polaris on 772. I see multiple dates on google flights but doesn't price out when you click through to united
Itinerary can be booked, but not on a 777.

Outbound is 737 on the SLC-EWR leg. Return is 757-200 from EWR-LAX. After building on Google Flights, click "book with United". Next screen lists the outbound options. Scroll down to find the 7:00pm flight LAX-SLC-EWR, which prices at $374.00. That's the only one that prices business at significantly reduced price. For the return EWR-LAX, you'll have three options for the transcon back to West Coast for a ridiculous $157.00.

For $529.00, you sit in Premium Cabin all the way, and score 10,024 PQM. Nice find, OP.
Quote: For the return EWR-LAX, you'll have three options for the transcon back to West Coast for a ridiculous $157.00.
That's clearly a pricing error, it should be a minimum of $649 for that OW segment.

Nice find OP.
Gone? Looks like F on all the non-stops back blank out as soon as I choose the outbound via SLC
Quote: Gone? Looks like F on all the non-stops back blank out as soon as I choose the outbound via SLC
Looks like it's gone.
Booked 1 for the return on the 9am 777 from EWR-LAX = $529
Quote: Booked 1 for the return on the 9am 777 from EWR-LAX = $529
Congrats on that. For the August dates, the EWR-LAX downsizes to the 757-200 with lie-flats as well.
Quote: Booked 1 for the return on the 9am 777 from EWR-LAX = $529
Nice--enjoy! I was quite tempted myself, even being a OW loyalist.
Quote: That's clearly a pricing error, it should be a minimum of $649 for that OW segment.

Nice find OP.
Not a pricing error per se, but an error in the routing rules. Was actually booking as an LAX-SLC roundtrip, because someone updating the LAX-SLC routing rules to allow LAX-EWR-SLC (instead of the regular LAX-SFO-SLC). I tried to get an LAX-EWR-SLC-EWR-LAX, but could never get it to price correctly.

Best I could do was LAX-EWR-SLC 'one-way' for $329, but could only get it July 3, 4, 6th, and those days just didn't work for me Thanks for posting OP.
Quote: Not a pricing error per se, but an error in the routing rules. Was actually booking as an LAX-SLC roundtrip, because someone updating the LAX-SLC routing rules to allow LAX-EWR-SLC (instead of the regular LAX-SFO-SLC). I tried to get an LAX-EWR-SLC-EWR-LAX, but could never get it to price correctly.

Best I could do was LAX-EWR-SLC 'one-way' for $329, but could only get it July 3, 4, 6th, and those days just didn't work for me Thanks for posting OP.
I won't even pretend to know as much as you do as far as why it priced as it did. BUT, being able to fly LAX-SLC-EWR-LAX in the premium cabin, which includes the 757-200 lie-flat seats on the return transcon leg, within a quick turn for a cool 10,024 PQM's on August 24 has me smiling.

I'm forever in debt to the OP. Just need to bring a good book to endure the layover in SLC. I've not flown through that airport in 15 years, and I'm wondering if anything has changed.
Quote: Not a pricing error per se, but an error in the routing rules.
Two ways of describing the same thing. UA does not intend to sell that ps segment for less than $649.