Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] Ba/aa cai-lhr-lax-hnl (840 tp)= us$1556

[PREM FARE GONE] Ba/aa cai-lhr-lax-hnl (840 tp)= us$1556

Old Sep 18, 2017, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mhaines94108
I generally get frustrated quickly in situations where there aren't orderly lines and clear procedures.
CAI might not be your ideal destination ....
Old Sep 18, 2017, 10:17 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
if my 70 years old parents who dont speak very good english can handle Cairo. i am sure that everyone here can.
megaloman likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: BA GGL, ICC Amb Plat, LH Freq Fly, Hilton Diamond
Finally managed to book a ticket which is great.

Last edited by Scotland; Sep 19, 2017 at 11:17 pm
Old Sep 18, 2017, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by Scotland
Okay so I'm trying to book one of these and keen to use Flight Centre in the UK so I can also apply my GUF.

I'm having difficulty pricing it, close but it's booking into R not I. A few questions if I may:

1) I would like to take advantage of the JFK-LAX legs booking into A, do I have to use BA codeshares for this? Or should I use AA flight numbers. I'm a BAEC member so I don't think it makes much difference for me in terms of Tier Points/Miles etc.. I'm trying to maximise my TPs. I've looked at days on EF where the BA codeshares show zero in I which is quite a lot/all the time but the agent could only book into I if I choice flights where AA showed I.

2) Is the problem that I was landing into JFK in the evening and then not flying to LAX until the next day. To get the A class do I need to book BA codeshares and have the TATL and the JFK-LAX all on the same day?

3) When putting in the fare class should the agent choose I on the JFK-LAX legs and LAX-HNL or A on one or other etc.. I wondered if that was the problem.

I could book via GGL and use them to upgrade my flights but I'll lose the F TPs on the TATL. If anyone has an agent in the UK that can help then great but I don't think I can use AMEX as I don't have a Platinum card or above.

1) You need to find the BA flight number (AA metal) for these flights. You need to find I=0 and A=something. This will allow you to book into AA First class on the 3 class transcon and earn 210 tier points each way, plus have a nicer ride. I booked this last week. Called the BA exec club and told them the flight number and said AA First class. Their system should automatically find the lowest price fare code after the full journey details are input correctly.

2) No, that's not the issue. I arrive into JFK in the evening and fly to LAX the next day.

3) LAX-HNL should be in I class on AA. It's a 2 class flight.

My best advice is to find availability using Expertflyer, then try to price it all in ITAMatrix. If you can make the full journey in ITAMatrix, you should have no problem booking it. P.S. Remember to select London as your sales city
Old Sep 18, 2017, 11:22 am

Programs: BA GGL, ICC Amb Plat, LH Freq Fly, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Frequent flyer 101
1) You need to find the BA flight number (AA metal) for these flights. You need to find I=0 and A=something. This will allow you to book into AA First class on the 3 class transcon and earn 210 tier points each way, plus have a nicer ride. I booked this last week. Called the BA exec club and told them the flight number and said AA First class. Their system should automatically find the lowest price fare code after the full journey details are input correctly.

Thanks, my problem is I could get GGL to book it for me but I'm trying to get it through an agent so my TATL books into A with my GUF voucher so I get a few more TPs.

2) No, that's not the issue. I arrive into JFK in the evening and fly to LAX the next day.

Okay thanks that's interesting

3) LAX-HNL should be in I class on AA. It's a 2 class flight.

My best advice is to find availability using Expertflyer, then try to price it all in ITAMatrix. If you can make the full journey in ITAMatrix, you should have no problem booking it. P.S. Remember to select London as your sales city
Old Sep 18, 2017, 11:31 am

Programs: UA Gold/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott Plat
I'd also be curious about the electronics ban implications. Was thinking to short check my bag. Is 2 hrs 20 mins in LHR enough time to go through immigration (EU passport with chip) collect the checked in bag and get back through security?
I did this the other week -- BA154 connecting to AA135 -- albeit a slightly longer layover at 2 hours 55 minutes. I was able to short-check my bag with the laptop inside with time to spare. Went through FastTrack, picked up my bag, transferred from T5->T3 (via Tube), rechecked my bag, shopped for like 20 minutes, showered/ate at the CX lounge, and made it to my gate.

Since I don't have an EU passport, I had to use FastTrack. This killed most of my layover time since it took over 45 minutes; since you have an EU passport with chip, you can definitely shave off a bit of time from that.

The one thing that bugged me about the electronics ban was that they made me throw out my powerbank at CAI. I wasn't even allowed to bring it on board. I guess I didn't do enough research ahead of time to realize that wasn't allowed.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by AndrewT84
I did this the other week -- BA154 connecting to AA135 -- albeit a slightly longer layover at 2 hours 55 minutes. I was able to short-check my bag with the laptop inside with time to spare. Went through FastTrack, picked up my bag, transferred from T5->T3 (via Tube), rechecked my bag, shopped for like 20 minutes, showered/ate at the CX lounge, and made it to my gate.

Since I don't have an EU passport, I had to use FastTrack. This killed most of my layover time since it took over 45 minutes; since you have an EU passport with chip, you can definitely shave off a bit of time from that.

The one thing that bugged me about the electronics ban was that they made me throw out my powerbank at CAI. I wasn't even allowed to bring it on board. I guess I didn't do enough research ahead of time to realize that wasn't allowed.
Good to know, thanks for the info. Did you have any hassle short checking it in CAI?
Old Sep 18, 2017, 11:58 am

Good to know, thanks for the info. Did you have any hassle short checking it in CAI?
They insisted I wouldn't have enough time but I said I would take my chances and she went ahead and did it.
Frequent flyer 101 likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
If you are transferring terminals in CAI, there are some interesting stories in the Middle East forum about languishing in limbo for hours not knowing who do you need to "tip" and if you will make the flight. Sounds like they are "softening" you for the tips.
Sounds like it is best to overnight and do the "meet and greet"
Old Sep 18, 2017, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by nk15
If you are transferring terminals in CAI, there are some interesting stories in the Middle East forum about languishing in limbo for hours not knowing who do you need to "tip" and if you will make the flight. Sounds like they are "softening" you for the tips.
Sounds like it is best to overnight and do the "meet and greet"
Etihad didn't transfer my bags during my connection and I had to file a lost bag claim. They promised to deliver it but it never happened and when I went to the airport to track it down, I had to "tip" out like $30 (500 EGP) to different airline/airport staff just to get my bags back. (I was transiting on two separate tickets with a <24 hour "layover").

Other than that issue, I didn't really feel like I had to "tip" anyone at the airport to get in/out/to/from terminal to terminal.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by AndrewT84
Etihad didn't transfer my bags during my connection and I had to file a lost bag claim. They promised to deliver it but it never happened and when I went to the airport to track it down, I had to "tip" out like $30 (500 EGP) to different airline/airport staff just to get my bags back. (I was transiting on two separate tickets with a <24 hour "layover").

Other than that issue, I didn't really feel like I had to "tip" anyone at the airport to get in/out/to/from terminal to terminal.
You must have slipped through the cracks? I think the stories are about transferring terminals without leaving the secure area, it sounds like you left and re-entered.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Airprox
Neither did I until this. My PNR was flagged that they wanted to see me and AA were not allowed to issue a BP until they gave the OK. I had to wait about 10 mins for a very pleasant lady to turn up. Plain clothes, armed with a badge and a notepad. Asked lots of questions, took a few notes, nothing too serious. She then told AA I was ok to travel to the US. Presumably as LHR sends more people to the USA than most airports it makes sense to have a few people there to filter out those that are going to be turned back at the border anyway on arrival.

The lady I spoke to at LHR, the CBP guy in secondary at JFK and the two TTRT guys were all way more friendly than 95% of normal CBP officers you see at the border.
So if I have approx. 2 hr layover at LHR in between CAI-LHR, and LHR-onwards to US, would it be running too close with this?
Old Sep 18, 2017, 3:36 pm

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by catharsis
Just to everyone who mentions embedded surface sectors - I know this is not officially a TP run thread but I still get an involuntary twitch when people leave 40 (or 80!) TP on the table.

flying CAI-LHR-DUB//Dub-xxx-xxx-HNL and nesting a DUB-LHR return inside the stopover would seem like a more efficient use of the fare by getting an additional 40TP instead of discarding it and getting a surface sector- and if booking a long way out, a cash return fare may be cheap enough that even an RFS Avios ticket is not much of a saving - thereby granting another 10(or more) TPs.

Given the arrival time in LHR from CAI in early-afternoon, it should be pretty easy to get both to and from Dublin that afternoon, hence essentially losing very little useful time that day, and getting at least an extra 40TP for the privilege.

same general point applies to HEL, albeit the timings are slightly trickier.
Can you have more than two transfers in Europe?

Surely CAI-LHR-DUB // DUB-LHR-...-HNL would count as 3 transfers, no?
Old Sep 18, 2017, 4:40 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by megaloman
Can you have more than two transfers in Europe?

Surely CAI-LHR-DUB // DUB-LHR-...-HNL would count as 3 transfers, no?
i dont think this is possible.. i tried.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
LHR -> HNL, via LAX or DFW?

Everything considered, do you prefer to connect for HNL at LAX or DFW?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.