Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] Ba/aa cai-lhr-lax-hnl (840 tp)= us$1556

[PREM FARE GONE] Ba/aa cai-lhr-lax-hnl (840 tp)= us$1556

Old Apr 30, 2017, 5:40 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3 Gold, M&M SEN, FlyingBlue Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb
Anybody managed to price this with CAI-LHR in I recently? I'm steuggling with this and only find CAI-LHR as IB codeshares in Y on matrix.

Bonus question for the lucky ones who priced on AA - which site did you use? The Irish one doesn't seem to work for me with more than 4 airport codes and the UK one doesn't come back with anything lower than 2.7k.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 5:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA ExecPlat, TK Elite
I booked directly on aa.com (US site) via the multi city search function, which can be found by clicking "advanced search" on the homepage underneath the main "Search" button.

I searched for the following specific 5 sectors:

1. Day 1 (Morning): CAI-JFK (make sure you route with BA via LHR)
2. Day 1 (Evening): JFK-LAX (make sure you have enough time for customs etc)
overnight LAX
3. Day 2 (Any time): LAX-HNL (you can choose how long you want your LAX stopover)

min Sat night in HNL, or 3 days. Although in the last example screenshot, a 1-night turn is available.

4. Day 5: HNL-JFK (Evening)
5. Day 6: JFK-CAI (Evening)

At the bottom under "options", select "search by schedule", then Business class, as well as under "airline", select "all airlines".

This is how I found the above routing. Really a gold mine for BA flyers at 8x140TPs = 1120 TPs
Old Apr 30, 2017, 6:57 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3 Gold, M&M SEN, FlyingBlue Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by LX64A332
I booked directly on aa.com (US site) via the multi city search function, which can be found by clicking "advanced search" on the homepage underneath the main "Search" button.

I searched for the following specific 5 sectors:

1. Day 1 (Morning): CAI-JFK (make sure you route with BA via LHR)
2. Day 1 (Evening): JFK-LAX (make sure you have enough time for customs etc)
overnight LAX
3. Day 2 (Any time): LAX-HNL (you can choose how long you want your LAX stopover)

min Sat night in HNL, or 3 days. Although in the last example screenshot, a 1-night turn is available.

4. Day 5: HNL-JFK (Evening)
5. Day 6: JFK-CAI (Evening)

At the bottom under "options", select "search by schedule", then Business class, as well as under "airline", select "all airlines".

This is how I found the above routing. Really a gold mine for BA flyers at 8x140TPs = 1120 TPs
Tried that, no joy. AA spits out the following:
Something went wrong
This trip can’t be booked online. Contact Reservations
Can't price it on matrix either with all I class :/
Old Apr 30, 2017, 8:14 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
The problem is I class availability on the BA CAI flights which is very scarce, particularly on Thurs/Fri/sat, even a long way in advance.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 8:27 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by Airprox
The problem is I class availability on the BA CAI flights which is very scarce, particularly on Thurs/Fri/sat, even a long way in advance.
It is the week end travel

Last edited by NA-Flyer; Apr 30, 2017 at 8:37 am
Old Apr 30, 2017, 9:24 am

CAI-JNB-EZE-JFK-CAI approx $1,900

https://www.google.com/flights/?f=0#...CAI1LH580;sc=b
Old Apr 30, 2017, 9:33 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Matrix currently quoting EGP29k (about GBP1100) for CAI-LHR-JFK-LAX-HNL and back every day in September except Thursdays and Sat 30th... no idea why !

As previously noted, the journey itself is about 1.00 / TP so excellent value for BAEC however getting to CAI is a PITA and being in CAI is a PITA and leaving CAI is a PITA so I'm out ...
bobblevins likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by Fitch
Matrix currently quoting EGP29k (about GBP1100) for CAI-LHR-JFK-LAX-HNL and back every day in September except Thursdays and Sat 30th... no idea why !

As previously noted, the journey itself is about 1.00 / TP so excellent value for BAEC however getting to CAI is a PITA and being in CAI is a PITA and leaving CAI is a PITA so I'm out ...
One of the best things about these fares is that stopovers are allowed, the cancel and change fees are tiny and after departure are priced using the fare at the time of first issue. If you immediately start a new ticket when you get to CAI and then have a stopover in the UK, you now have a fairly flexible USA ticket and just have the increased APD cost.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Can you provide a link? I have tried ITA and not been able to recreate above all September?
Old Apr 30, 2017, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MAGA
Not sure if this is actually bookable, but interesting to see an itinerary containing Skyteam, OneWorld, and Star Alliance members
Old Apr 30, 2017, 2:21 pm

Programs: IC Amb :-(, UA silver, BA Gold, SPG Plat, A-Club Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Airprox
One of the best things about these fares is that stopovers are allowed, the cancel and change fees are tiny and after departure are priced using the fare at the time of first issue. If you immediately start a new ticket when you get to CAI and then have a stopover in the UK, you now have a fairly flexible USA ticket and just have the increased APD cost.
Actually the fare allows routing via DUB (and potentially elsewhere) meaning that one can have all stopovers in Dub and therefore avoid the APD.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 5:13 pm

Can you share your advanced routing codes? I'm pretty comfortable with my matrix skills, but it comes back with nothing, even when I plug the dates that expert flyer reports has I availability.

Originally Posted by catharsis
Actually the fare allows routing via DUB (and potentially elsewhere) meaning that one can have all stopovers in Dub and therefore avoid the APD.
Did you manage to price it on matrix and/or replicate using AA or BA engine? I can't even make matrix to price such itinerary sadly
Old Apr 30, 2017, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by LX64A332
For this routing, luggage must be reclaimed regardless in JFK for example, so it would just be CAI-LHR-JFK where one would have to be without larger electronic devices....
Just flew Cairo to JFK via FCO on Alitalia (which can be as low as $1200 return, i bought it for $1,700 24 hours prior to departure -- not formileage, I was just nearby!) and there is norestriction to carrying laptops onboard. It's only on selected airlines, no European airlines on the list.

Tips about connecting in Cairo: it's good to allow ample time because the airport is split in 3 various terminals, some quite distant. Allow time to bbuy visa on arrival too.

But then the problem becomes there is nothing to do in the airport if you get there more than 3 hours before the departure time of your connecting flight. Best option would be not to check in any luggage, get your boarding pass online and head to the lounge. Otherwise it's the most boring thing ever. 30' of free wifi, one mini store, rustic seating.

A nice alternative is to enjoy Cairo for a day or two. I did once stayed in Mridien (which is not that close from the airport). You can get a chauffeured car there from Avis and the guy can take you to the pyramids (one hour drive in traffic nothing crazy). When I did it, I was alone in the entire site. That was surreal, until 5p when locals came visit the site. A great experience indeed.

US customs used to be suspicious too with people arriving from Cairo but it seems over, I just cleared immigration in a minute.

Long story short: laptops ok on European airlines, short connections are not convenient at all, and it's worth a short stay - cheap easy and beautiful.
Enjoy.
Old May 1, 2017, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by PeyoNYC
Long story short: laptops ok on European airlines
Nope, the UK doesn't allow electronics larger than a smartphone in the cabin from Egypt, so if you fly BA CAI-LHR you will be checking in your tablets and laptops in your checked baggage.

US customs used to be suspicious too with people arriving from Cairo but it seems over, I just cleared immigration in a minute.
I flew CAI-DOH-LHR-JFK recently, connecting from BA to AA at LHR. AA at LHR T3 wouldn't issue a BP until someone from CBP/DHS had come to talk to me and given them the ok that I could travel. Once I got to JFK I was then sent to secondary, where I had to wait for more than an hour for someone from the Tactical Terrorism Response Team to turn up from another terminal and question me, which took about 2 minutes.
Old May 1, 2017, 12:21 am
Original Poster

Just flew Cairo to JFK via FCO on Alitalia (which can be as low as $1200 return, i bought it for $1,700 24 hours prior to departure -- not formileage, I was just nearby!) and there is norestriction to carrying laptops onboard. It's only on selected airlines, no European airlines on the list.

Tips about connecting in Cairo: it's good to allow ample time because the airport is split in 3 various terminals, some quite distant. Allow time to bbuy visa on arrival too.

But then the problem becomes there is nothing to do in the airport if you get there more than 3 hours before the departure time of your connecting flight. Best option would be not to check in any luggage, get your boarding pass online and head to the lounge. Otherwise it's the most boring thing ever. 30' of free wifi, one mini store, rustic seating.

A nice alternative is to enjoy Cairo for a day or two. I did once stayed in Mridien (which is not that close from the airport). You can get a chauffeured car there from Avis and the guy can take you to the pyramids (one hour drive in traffic nothing crazy). When I did it, I was alone in the entire site. That was surreal, until 5p when locals came visit the site. A great experience indeed.

Long story short: laptops ok on European airlines, short connections are not convenient at all, and it's worth a short stay - cheap easy and beautiful.
Enjoy.
The laptop restriction does apply to European airlines as well, mainly TK and BA, but in reality any airline that flies directly from Egypt, and a few other selected countries to the UK.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.