Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

CX: Ord/JFK/EWR-MLE $1770-1900; mixed PE and J

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX: Ord/JFK/EWR-MLE $1770-1900; mixed PE and J

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:56 am

Programs: Former AA EXP, DL PM, BAEC Bronze, SPG GOLD, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Lavezzi
For reference, this is what you should net as EXP flying ORD-MLE:

EQM: $4,614
EDQ: 32,344
RDM: 48,936
Question: Were the segments MLE-HKG-MLE in I or R class?
Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by ricktassie
Doesnt this book into the (non-upgradeable) 'E' class as opposed to R/W?
I've double checked and you're correct, it does book into E for all segments. Is this bad? Is it possible to add JFK-YVR legs onto this fare?
Old Sep 21, 2017, 11:10 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Gino Troian
I've double checked and you're correct, it does book into E for all segments. Is this bad? Is it possible to add JFK-YVR legs onto this fare?
I don't think so. If I recall correctly, you can only transit HKG to JNB or AKL on a single ticket from the West Coast (LAX/SFO/YVR). NYC-JNB/AKL on CX is crazy expensive. I'd be happy to be proved wrong though.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 1:58 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AA Executive Platinum
Issues crediting upgraded fares

Originally Posted by margarita girl
I got my ticket booked and was able to get the IAP discount. The reason the pricing was all over the map (with fares of up to $8000 on Amex) was my original itinerary was not bookable even though it was showing up on ITA and Priceline. When I clicked through to purchase last night, it timed out. So I kept playing with cities/dates and had to go right through the booking process at Priceline to find out what would work. I booked and canceled 2 tickets.

Anyhow, once I found an itinerary that worked, I called Amex and they were able to book it for me. Priceline price was $1951. Amex quoted me $1704 + $39 booking fee (so $208 savings). This is what I ended up with:

JFK-YVR CX889 biz class
YVR-HKG CX859 PE
HKG-MLE CX601 biz class
MLE-HKG CX602 biz class
HKG-YVR CX838 PE
YVR-JFK CX888 biz class

I've initiated a transfer of points to my Asia Miles account and will attempt to upgrade the 2 PE segments for 20K pts each.

I expect to earn:

35,400 EQMs
$4,720 EQDs
54,700 RDMs *

Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions! ^

* Updated per information provided below.
You might want to read through this thread before upgrading, especially if you main goal is status run. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...de-issues.html

There are many reports of issues crediting upgraded CX flights to AA. It will change your booking class to U and AA will see it as an award flight. If you read through the link I posted you will see that it took people months to get it credited correctly and some jut gave up.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 5:09 pm

Programs: United 1k, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by token385
Question: Were the segments MLE-HKG-MLE in I or R class?
I, Business.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by xdaniel
You might want to read through this thread before upgrading, especially if you main goal is status run. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...de-issues.html

There are many reports of issues crediting upgraded CX flights to AA. It will change your booking class to U and AA will see it as an award flight. If you read through the link I posted you will see that it took people months to get it credited correctly and some jut gave up.
Thanks for the heads up. This is disappointing indeed!

Curious if the same issue would be encountered with a complimentary upgrade. I'm guessing yes.

Last edited by margarita girl; Sep 21, 2017 at 7:10 pm
Old Sep 21, 2017, 7:26 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AA Executive Platinum

Curious if the same issue would be encountered with a complimentary upgrade. I'm guessing yes.
Apparently op-up's are not a problem. If you look few pages back in this thread several people said op-up's posted as expected.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 1:12 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by xdaniel
Apparently op-up's are not a problem. If you look few pages back in this thread several people said op-up's posted as expected.
First hand account. Got an OP-UP on a variation of this fare HKG-JFK from W to J. Posted with no issues.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 7:55 am
44C

Programs: AA EXP (OW EME), Hyatt Globalist
1) I was thinking of flying via EWR to get the new Prem Y on the A350. Anyone have any data points on being upgraded to J on this route as opposed to from /to JFK or ORD?

2) Also any good mileage runs MLE-XXX-MLE?

Cheers
Old Sep 23, 2017, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by 44C
1) I was thinking of flying via EWR to get the new Prem Y on the A350. Anyone have any data points on being upgraded to J on this route as opposed to from /to JFK or ORD?

Cheers
New PE on A350 has more recline, nicer finishes and wifi, but seat is narrower by a quite a bit. If you are a wider body person like me it ends up being more uncomfortable.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ricktassie
thanks a ton! works like a charm!! Will now call IAP to hopefully get a discount!
Do you know if IAP can add an intra-US domestic leg in Y under the same PNR as the international PE ticket? I live in a different city than one of the CX gateway cities. So, I'd like to book both domestic AA (Y) and international CX (PE) legs in the same PNR so that I get through-checked bags and IRROPS protection. My travel agent can do this. But I'm wondering whether IAP can do this, since they only list PE and above, and also they don't have AA on their list. Thanks!
Old Sep 25, 2017, 1:59 am

Programs: AA exp 3mm Hertz 5*

Made this run in Jun, upgrading w Asiamiles ord>hkg, had no issues with AA crediting. My ticket was booked as R
Old Sep 25, 2017, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by 44C

Cheers
My own experience is that EWR is hard to get upgraded from PEY to J. My travel has usually an almost empty PEY on EWR-HKG, so no op-up; and full load J on HKG-EWR, so no op-up neither. It really comes to the load of your travel day I guess.

Also, this deal seems to end by end of this year...could not find any good prices for 2018.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Snuggs
Made this run in Jun, upgrading w Asiamiles ord>hkg, had no issues with AA crediting. My ticket was booked as R
This is great news. Thanks for sharing. I'll go ahead and request the upgrade! ^
Old Sep 25, 2017, 4:28 pm

Programs: United 1k, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by andersonCooper
My own experience is that EWR is hard to get upgraded from PEY to J. My travel has usually an almost empty PEY on EWR-HKG, so no op-up; and full load J on HKG-EWR, so no op-up neither. It really comes to the load of your travel day I guess.

Also, this deal seems to end by end of this year...could not find any good prices for 2018.
I see some in May 2018, this deal seems to always come around anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.