Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

DL/AF/KLM US -> EU J fare sale ($2600-$3400 RT)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2017, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PP, OZ *G, Hyatt Expl, Marriott Gold, Lots of Ex-statuses

https://www.klm.com/travel/us_en/pla...ness_class.htm

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...are-sale.html?

http://www.airfrance.us/US/en/local/...ness-fares.htm

SFO->LON is $3400. West coast to AMS is $3100. NYC to DUB/FRA/CDG/ORY/LON from $2642-$2830.

Pretty much the same rates across all three of them. Quite a bit cheaper than normal rates and I don't see them on Google flights yet. Book by February 28, travel from April 4 – April 27.

HT to TravelSkills (http://travelskills.com/2017/02/23/b...rope-in-april/) for finding this.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 7:33 pm

Programs: United Gold
I just wanted to note that these aren't screaming bargains.. but it was an initial salvo like this that inevitably led to the multiple alliance fare war a few summers ago.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 7:47 pm

This might actually be the second salvo as the prices and dates appear to align with the Virgin Atlantic J sale announced yesterday (or at least I got the email from them yesterday).

https://www.virginatlantic.com/us/en...per-class.html
Old Feb 23, 2017, 8:27 pm

last night, I bought the round trip AF biz class from jfk to nap for $1845 USD. it lasted for two days.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 8:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by 36902BRF
This might actually be the second salvo as the prices and dates appear to align with the Virgin Atlantic J sale announced yesterday (or at least I got the email from them yesterday).

https://www.virginatlantic.com/us/en...per-class.html
VS and DL have a JV, so they're not completing with other. They're allowed to coordinate schedules, fares, etc.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 12:22 am

Programs: DL GM
Always fascinates me that NYC to LON is $2642-$2830 on "sale" but I see the reverse for around $1500-$1700USD RT year round on DL/AF/KLM/AZ. Yeah you have a connection through CDG/AMS/FCO but still.

I know ex-US surcharges can be a nightmare but I find it hard to believe they can't get those prices a little bit closer. You could probably book a RT PE fare from NYC to LON direct and then nest a business class (Z) LON to NYC fare in the middle and get two trips out of it for the same $2600-$2800 cost.

It sure would be nice if this led to a more widespread ex-US fare war though, seems like it has been a while.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 5:56 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
I am flying across the pond for school breaks and I am beginning to think about this, you know, I could do a one way with Aeroplan points and from then on I am paying Europe based fares instead of YVR fares.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 8:13 am

Programs: United Gold
Originally Posted by chx1975
I am flying across the pond for school breaks and I am beginning to think about this, you know, I could do a one way with Aeroplan points and from then on I am paying Europe based fares instead of YVR fares.
I wouldnt "jump on" a fare like this for such a purpose. To me, this is more of a "hey I can save $2k on a business trip" deal.

Save your school break money for a really good fare (e.g. sub-$2k USD). And besides, from YVR there are more customary decent fares available that beat this (just not recently) or at least you can get to YYZ where deals are more frequent. Be patient, you might end up with almost 2 R/Ts for the price of this current sale.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by hscottm
I wouldnt "jump on" a fare like this for such a purpose. To me, this is more of a "hey I can save $2k on a business trip" deal.

Save your school break money for a really good fare (e.g. sub-$2k USD). And besides, from YVR there are more customary decent fares available that beat this (just not recently) or at least you can get to YYZ where deals are more frequent. Be patient, you might end up with almost 2 R/Ts for the price of this current sale.
I think what he was saying is he would book a one way with miles YVR-EU, then start buying round trip tickets ex-EU back to YVR, to save money. If dates are known well in advance and not subject to expensive changes, this is a great strategy.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 8:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Just be aware that many of the good exEU business class fares are completely nonrefundable and nonchangeable. The ticket must be flown as is or all value is lost. The fare rules are very different from what we usually see for exUSA TATL RT tickets.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 9:03 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Just be aware that many of the good exEU business class fares are completely nonrefundable and nonchangeable. The ticket must be flown as is or all value is lost. The fare rules are very different from what we usually see for exUSA TATL RT tickets.
I believe this was true of last year's great ex-EU fares, but I believe this isn't the case for a decent chunk of this year's ex-EU biz fares.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 9:10 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by steveholt
I believe this was true of last year's great ex-EU fares, but I believe this isn't the case for a decent chunk of this year's ex-EU biz fares.
This. I recently purchased a Y ticket that was completely nonchangeable and nonrefundable (but I can change it thanks to a schedule change now) but all my cheap ex-EU J fares have been changeable once 300EUR is paid (this is for DL/AF/KL fares).
Old Feb 24, 2017, 9:34 am

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
FWIW I've bought two AF PE tickets ex-EU since summer 2016 and they've been changeable for 150EUR. If they were "use it or lose it" I might have just stuck with Y.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 10:04 am

As a bonus... AMEX offering 20,000 membership rewards points for a $1000+ Air France purchase. Must opt-in (check your AMEX account, YMMV)

Get 20000 additional Membership Rewards points one-time by using your enrolled Card to spend a minimum of $1000+ in one or more eligible transactions online at airfrance.us or via the Air France mobile app by 4/14/2017. See terms for exclusions.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
I think what he was saying is he would book a one way with miles YVR-EU, then start buying round trip tickets ex-EU back to YVR, to save money. If dates are known well in advance and not subject to expensive changes, this is a great strategy.
That's what I am thinking, exactly. But airlines are not stupid and I now find many great fares have a three month maximum stay which is not enough for this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.