Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

EK CAI-West Coast RT Biz $1120

Old Dec 8, 2016, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Looks like Emirates is stepping up again...after all the QR fares ex-CAI. Damn...right after I booked :/

CAI-NYC $1119
CAi-SEA $1145
CAI-LAX $1344
CAI-IAH $1153

https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...1-04;sc=b;eo=e

Apologize if posted already -- searched but didn't see these.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 2:49 pm

Nice prices! Thanks for posting.

A lot of 777 routes to the US still I see, too far for me on 2-3-2 angle flats! :O
Old Dec 8, 2016, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, AA Exec Plat
What's the best way to position to CAI from the USA?
Old Dec 8, 2016, 6:35 pm

CAI-SFO is ~$1350 until March 31st. Then goes to ~$1750 until October.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 10:22 pm

Programs: former MD-88 jumpseat Medallion. DL FO, AA PLT PRO. Marriott LT Plat.
CAI-BOS clocking in at $1120 R/T

-and-

QR now showing up at $932 R/T for the same route!

https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...3-08;sc=b;eo=e
Old Dec 8, 2016, 11:17 pm

Programs: CO
Has anyone transited CAI before? Is it difficult or would I have any issues coming from the USA? Thinking about booking one of these
Old Dec 8, 2016, 11:22 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

CAI is an horrible airport.....
Old Dec 9, 2016, 12:15 am

Programs: CO
Originally Posted by RTW1
Why? Because customs makes it hard or there's no lounges or what?
Old Dec 9, 2016, 12:25 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by RTW1
+1 or at least the Terminal Qatar and BA fly from (terminal 1 I think)

It is old, there is a crowd of people at the door to hassle you. The duty free shop in terminal 1 arrivals feels like a soviet era shop, the shelves were mostly empty with a few random old looking things lying around.

The lounge is kinda nice in a very unique way. Kinda like the lobby of an old hotel.

Cairo is a mess of a city and the airport is one of the messiest I have been to. That said I really liked the city. It is very different and while it is clearly poor, it felt very safe even walking around late at night.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by nikbruno
Has anyone transited CAI before? Is it difficult or would I have any issues coming from the USA? Thinking about booking one of these
Come on! Cairo is a major international airport and hub for Star Alliance member Egyptair (MS). MS, and other *A flights, operate from the airport's T3, which is modern, efficient and comfortable (with a handful of caveats ..).

Other carriers have been operating from T1, which is a bit of a dump, and not really user-friendly until you get air-side. Like much in Egypt it is surface chaos which (surprisingly) works. Once airside its not too bad, perfectly functional duty-free shops, cafes and a comfortable series of lounges of a unique nature you might learn to love

The good news is that T1 airlines are slowly moving operations to the revamped T2. I haven't used it in it's current form, but hopes are high.

So while there's a lot of transferring among flights in T3, there's a lot less inter-terminal, or T1-T1, transfer traffic. But it happens regularly, and there a whole host of threads on FT outlining the process. In truth you don't need the outline: hundreds just do it every day: follow the signs and if you need help, ask for it.

It can be easier to overnight. There are a couple of airport hotels. One is smart and expensive, connected directly to T3: the Novotel is cheaper and operates a shuttle to its on-site hotel (phone first to arrange pick-ups). But you'll need a $25 dollar visa-on-arrival.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 1:25 am

CAI is not a nice airport. Relatively disorganized, substandard lounges, security which does not make you feel safe.
Transit, especially with a terminal change can be very time consuming, but it is doable.
Personally I would do an overnight in one of the hotels close to the airport (Heliopolis area). They all provide some kind of transportation (some are free, some charge). Getting a visa is easy, just line up at the bank first to pay the fee, then go to an immigration counter.
Yo can find relatively inexpensive flights to CAI from Europe. Aegean from MUC occasionaly is below 150 Euro, from others below 200.

Last edited by Unterwegs; Dec 9, 2016 at 1:31 am
Old Dec 9, 2016, 1:33 am

Programs: QR Platinum
I would say that positioning / transiting to CAI is chaotic.....
Old Dec 9, 2016, 2:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Not worth it because of CAI
Old Dec 9, 2016, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I see a lot of US-based members discussing this. I'm puzzled, given that it originates in CAI and a RT would take you back there. So why the interest for US-based passengers?
Old Dec 9, 2016, 9:57 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by thebakaronis
I see a lot of US-based members discussing this. I'm puzzled, given that it originates in CAI and a RT would take you back there. So why the interest for US-based passengers?
we are mileage runners... that is why!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.