Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

AZ/DL: CAI-ATL $1042 RT Business

AZ/DL: CAI-ATL $1042 RT Business

Old Dec 4, 2016, 1:00 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium
I could get through to final payment with Orbitz...
Old Dec 4, 2016, 1:49 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by DAV2355711
I could get through to final payment with Orbitz...
AZ's website is giving me trouble too. I tried using a MC, AMEX, and Paypal (didn't even load anything for Paypal) and got the same "enter your cc details again" error.

Separately, I tried on Orbitz. Got to the final booking page there, but noticed the fare rules there don't say that it's fully flexible like AZ's website...so confusing even though the fare basis is the same. Orbitz says to charge 240 EUR for changes and 400 EUR for cancels. AZ's website says no charges for any changes or cancels...any thoughts anyone on which would "rule"?

Orbitz also puts the DL domestic legs in Y...annoying. But I guess as a DM on a Y fare ideally I should be top of the UG list.

Last edited by btonkid12345; Dec 4, 2016 at 2:03 pm
Old Dec 4, 2016, 3:15 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Available on *A for 1500 too! Or 2100 WAS CAI if you want to originate in US.

Last edited by nevansm; Dec 4, 2016 at 3:24 pm
Old Dec 4, 2016, 3:42 pm

Update to my earlier post -

Called DM Desk. Fed agent segments (she grabbed DL flight numbers at first). This priced around $17XX.

Then she changed to all AZ flight numbers and BOOM - priced at $1050. However, the $1050 fare has a 400 EUR cancel fee and 240 EUR change fee. So, it seems what Orbitz's fare rules pull is correct and AZ's website, as usual, is whack.

However, I mentioned the full flex fare rules on AZ.com - agent asked the computer for a full flex fare and BOOM again - $200 more ($1250) and the fare is now fully flexible (no charge for any cancel/changes as long as same fare class is available and 1 segment is flown). 006 ticket. AND, the domestic flights booked into F and A classes, respectively, instead of Y like with AZ.

I called back to confirm with another agent the full flex - confirmed. This agent also claimed that I was going to earn the max 75K miles if I flew the entire ticket (routing is CAI-FCO-MIA-ATL-JFK-FCO-CAI) when I asked how AZ marketed, DL ticketed flights earn. She says the system showed thirty-some odd K base miles and 40-some odd K bonus miles. I didn't want to push it, but my jaw will drop (and I'll be even happier) if I actually earn that many miles flying this.

Anyone think there's any possibility to this? The agent at first quoted the fares in EGP but then was able to convert and charge me in USD. Not sure if the original basis in EGP or the full flex of the ticket made the computer tell them I was earning a lot of RDMs. I called back a few minutes later to verify with another agent, who looked at it and said it was showing her 75K total miles to be earned. Just said thanks and wished her a nice day, ha.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
I'm not sure if it's possible. The Delta Alitalia chart maxes out in J class, which is business and earns 175% base miles and 200% MQM. On the routing you mentioned, that would be 26,984 MQM.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 7:18 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by steveholt
I'm not sure if it's possible. The Delta Alitalia chart maxes out in J class, which is business and earns 175% base miles and 200% MQM. On the routing you mentioned, that would be 26,984 MQM.
Crediting to AZ: If booked under AZ codes you earn as per AZ chart, not AZ Delta chart. That gives J 300% so this fare would earn you approx 40k status and redeemable miles before any status bonuses if you are AZ status holder

Last edited by nufnuf77; Dec 4, 2016 at 7:29 pm
Old Dec 4, 2016, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
Crediting to AZ: If booked under AZ codes you earn as per AZ chart, not AZ Delta chart. That gives J 300% so this fare would earn you approx 40k status and redeemable miles before any status bonuses if you are AZ status holder
Sorry. I assumed the poster was talking about crediting to DL.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 9:14 pm

Programs: DL DM 2.4MM
Delta's mileage earning page indicates:

"partner-marketed flights that are ticketed by Delta will earn miles toward Award Travel based on ticket price, instead of distance flown".

"Partner-marketed flights that are not ticketed by Delta will continue to earn miles based on a percentage of distance flown* as determined by the fare class paid."

This would indicate to me since the itinerary is AZ marketed and DL ticketed redeemable miles would be based on fare and not distance? This begs the question how would this earn 75K?

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Update to my earlier post -

Called DM Desk. Fed agent segments (she grabbed DL flight numbers at first). This priced around $17XX.

Then she changed to all AZ flight numbers and BOOM - priced at $1050. However, the $1050 fare has a 400 EUR cancel fee and 240 EUR change fee. So, it seems what Orbitz's fare rules pull is correct and AZ's website, as usual, is whack.

However, I mentioned the full flex fare rules on AZ.com - agent asked the computer for a full flex fare and BOOM again - $200 more ($1250) and the fare is now fully flexible (no charge for any cancel/changes as long as same fare class is available and 1 segment is flown). 006 ticket. AND, the domestic flights booked into F and A classes, respectively, instead of Y like with AZ.

I called back to confirm with another agent the full flex - confirmed. This agent also claimed that I was going to earn the max 75K miles if I flew the entire ticket (routing is CAI-FCO-MIA-ATL-JFK-FCO-CAI) when I asked how AZ marketed, DL ticketed flights earn. She says the system showed thirty-some odd K base miles and 40-some odd K bonus miles. I didn't want to push it, but my jaw will drop (and I'll be even happier) if I actually earn that many miles flying this.

Anyone think there's any possibility to this? The agent at first quoted the fares in EGP but then was able to convert and charge me in USD. Not sure if the original basis in EGP or the full flex of the ticket made the computer tell them I was earning a lot of RDMs. I called back a few minutes later to verify with another agent, who looked at it and said it was showing her 75K total miles to be earned. Just said thanks and wished her a nice day, ha.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by langbr01
Delta's mileage earning page indicates:

"partner-marketed flights that are ticketed by Delta will earn miles toward Award Travel based on ticket price, instead of distance flown".

"Partner-marketed flights that are not ticketed by Delta will continue to earn miles based on a percentage of distance flown* as determined by the fare class paid."

This would indicate to me since the itinerary is AZ marketed and DL ticketed redeemable miles would be based on fare and not distance? This begs the question how would this earn 75K?
Yes. I have seen the AZ partner page. I also had three other examples already flown (not this fare, but discounted biz fares) -

*KLM ticketed with DL and KLM flights (DL reticketed this before it was flown, so 006 for earning purposes)

*DL ticketed with AF flights

*AF ticketed with DL flights, reticketed by DL after some of outbound flown

--->All earned based on $ spend, but the $ spend amount used was up to 4x what I paid. Not sure how this was possible for even the one that was DL ticketed from the start. CS is also supposed to correct the mileage for the KLM ticketed one because the change was involuntary.

I called the DM Desk and one agent said total miles showed 11,781 in the ticket (this is 11x the base fare + YQ). Then, he went into another screen and saw the following for the outbound, with nothing loaded for the return flights:

CAI-FCO 6465 base miles 7258 bonus miles
FCO-MIA 25000 base miles 30000 bonus miles
MIA-ATL 2880 base miles 2765 bonus miles
Total 74388 miles

I have no idea what to make of it. The booking agent made a note that AZ's website could not ticket it and for CS to try and honor the AZ partner page based on AZ ticketed, AZ operated. But will wait and see what posts - I assume it will be something between the 11,781 and the 74,388, like the other examples I posted about. Thanks DL for the clarity and wonderful IT!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.