Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

AA: YYZ-PEK ~$1,950 r/t in J (refundable!) - 26K EQMs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2016, 11:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, ex-AA EXP, ex-UA 1K

I know we've seen better deals out of YYZ/YUL/YVR to Asia, but they've been fairly sparse lately. I should know: I paid $400 more for this exact routing only a few days ago! Thankfully AA waived its change fee and gave me a voucher for the full difference in fares. Sample itinerary:

https://www.google.com/flights/?f=0#...c=b;a=ONEWORLD

Curiously, this is the only city pairing with the reduced fare, even though AA usually chops prices in/out of both YUL and PVG whenever they have a Canadian fare sale into PEK. (Bizarrely, even the much-shorter flight from YVR still costs ~$400 more.) Also, note that this is explicitly not a holiday-period fare; it's available immediately with only a seven-day advance purchase, and appears to require as little as a four-day stay in China. Availability looks wide open through mid-December, at which point the fares drop even further to around $1,700 r/t (and AA's fares on other Canadian/Chinese routings drop then as well).

Finally, note that the entire journey takes place on AA metal (788s on the int'l legs), with a connection through ORD in both directions. (For some reason routings through DFW cost several hundred dollars more.) With the 2x multiplier, total EQMs are just over 26,000. And whaddaya know: that's almost exactly how many miles I need to reach EXP level for 2017.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

Oh, and just to clarify: this is a "Business Flexible" fare and (almost) fully refundable, minus a $400 cancellation fee.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 5:57 am

Programs: Aeroplan
DL is going for $2217 CAD $1661 USD from YYZ to PEK in Jan, Feb, Mar. Z class.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 6:11 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Star has not been matching these fares for ASiA..

Delta fare also works in June
Old Oct 25, 2016, 7:45 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

This is NOT a "J" fare on AA.. enough of the misleading titles!

Originally Posted by kirker
Oh, and just to clarify: this is a "Business Flexible" fare and (almost) fully refundable, minus a $400 cancellation fee.
This is an "I" fare.
This is NOT an AA "J" fare.

*Yes, I know that people say "J" fare when they mean business class, but it's obviously misleading when it's also an existing fare bucket for that airline!

Just say "biz" or something!
Old Oct 25, 2016, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
PVG is available for ~$100 more and there are plenty of routings through DFW. This is a slightly more expensive version of this fare which has been running since August...

AA Biz: YYZ-PEK/PVG $1722...
Old Oct 25, 2016, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
PVG is available for ~$100 more and there are plenty of routings through DFW. This is a slightly more expensive version of this fare which has been running since August...

AA Biz: YYZ-PEK/PVG $1722...
Huh?? As noted both in that thread as well as my OP, YYZ-PVG fares are now $400 more than the YYZ-PEK ones, at least through mid-December.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by izzik
This is an "I" fare.
This is NOT an AA "J" fare.

*Yes, I know that people say "J" fare when they mean business class, but it's obviously misleading when it's also an existing fare bucket for that airline!

Just say "biz" or something!
Okay, I think this is a bit nitpicky. By definition (in the Premium Fare Deals forum) there will never be a "J" sale on AA because its J buckets are specific solely to full-fare, non-discounted tickets. I assume this is the case for most, if not all, other airlines as well.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 1:17 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Taggart
DL is going for $2217 CAD $1661 USD from YYZ to PEK in Jan, Feb, Mar. Z class.
Also going for same fare on DL departing from either YUL or YOW.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 1:36 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Okay, I think this is a bit nitpicky. By definition (in the Premium Fare Deals forum) there will never be a "J" sale on AA because its J buckets are specific solely to full-fare, non-discounted tickets. I assume this is the case for most, if not all, other airlines as well.
This isnt accurate, there are some "legacy" fares discussed here that truly do book into the J bucket (or equivalent full fare bucket on other carriers). While not the norm, they are here and they are really "refundable" and changeable against no fee whatsoever. They also earn 3x EQMs. OPs title makes it sound like he/she is raising one of those, as opposed to a relatively run of the mill I class fare.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Huh?? As noted both in that thread as well as my OP, YYZ-PVG fares are now $400 more than the YYZ-PEK ones, at least through mid-December.
There are scattered dates in Nov. & Dec. where YYZ-PVG is ~$2,000.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 6:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, DL GM, AA Plat, NEXUS
Even better YOW-PEK (more EQMs since via PHL and ORD) for $1698 in December.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP x 1.5, DL GM, JB, HH GLD
So, theoretically, would it be possible to nest one of the HKG-USA biz fare deals inside of this RT and get the extra biz class bonus points for both flights without raising any issues?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.