Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

CX/AA: LAX-HKG-MEL RT $2019 in PE 35.5K EQMs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX/AA: LAX-HKG-MEL RT $2019 in PE 35.5K EQMs

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2016, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by olouie
If you haven't been you gotta at least do 3-5 days!
It depends on what you're interested in. In my view, those who are big into scuba diving or those who can sit on a beach and read a book for days on end may want to stay that long, but most people are going to be bored stiff after 2 days. All of the resort islands are tiny, tiny, leading to a bad case of "cabin fever" (or perhaps in this case, "tiny island fever") in a day or two. The one we were on, Rannalhi, you could walk the entire perimeter in maybe 4 - 5 minutes and aside from scuba diving and swimming, there was literally nothing else to do. My understanding is that tourists are not allowed to visit the inhabited islands or mix with any locals (other than the resort staff), so the only way you may possibly see or interact with locals is if you go into Male while you are at the airport. Also, tourists are a "captive audience" for the resort restaurant - it's the only game in town. The water is beautiful and I'm glad I went, but to me the place is grossly over-rated and grossly over-priced and there are dozens of other "tropical paradises" that I'd rather spend time in.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 7:03 pm

Programs: United
Originally Posted by zoqfotpik
For EQD, you probably want to purchase it on CX stock. EQD's will be based on the percentage of distance flown as opposed to the cost of ticket if purchased on AA. See chart here:
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ay-pacific.jsp
Thank you, this was so helpful!
Old Oct 23, 2016, 10:06 am

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
For EQD, you probably want to purchase it on CX stock. EQD's will be based on the percentage of distance flown as opposed to the cost of ticket if purchased on AA. See chart here:
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ay-pacific.jsp
That's somewhat incorrect. What matters is not who you buy the ticket from. What matters is who "markets" the flight -- that is, which airline's flight number is on your ticket.

When you buy from AA you may find that some of your flights are be "CX" (or "BA", or ...) in which case the "CX" (or ...) table mentioned above is what matters.

I don't know how likely the converse is (buy from CX, get an "AA" flight).
Old Oct 23, 2016, 10:41 am
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Available on JL for a bit more...comes with access to Sakura/common lounge, 42" seat pitch, and imo better soft product.
Where do you see JL? I can't find any flights from NYC to MEL on JL.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by jix
I can see it between BOS and SYD. https://goo.gl/flights/NYvC
Old Oct 23, 2016, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jix
https://goo.gl/flights/fDko gets you to SYD.

Also FWIW, you can do JFK - HKG - HND - HKG - JFK for $1789 in PE. Not as good a deal (about 4k miles shorter) but also a tad cheaper and easier for positioning if east coast based.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 10:56 am
jix

Originally Posted by Duke787
https://goo.gl/flights/fDko gets you to SYD.

Also FWIW, you can do JFK - HKG - HND - HKG - JFK for $1789 in PE. Not as good a deal (about 4k miles shorter) but also a tad cheaper and easier for positioning if east coast based.
Thanks, is that second on JL or CX?
Old Oct 23, 2016, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jix
Thanks, is that second on JL or CX?
Second one is CX 77W the whole way
Old Oct 23, 2016, 1:49 pm
jix

Second one is CX 77W the whole way
Hrmm I'm specifically looking for JL flights that earns 100% or more, the CX E class is good for AA but only 70% on JL.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA: EXP / AS:MVP75k / Hilton: Gold / Marriott Gold
Really amazing deal for some AS status next year. I hope this sticks around another few months,
Old Oct 23, 2016, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jix
Hrmm I'm specifically looking for JL flights that earns 100% or more, the CX E class is good for AA but only 70% on JL.
I assume you are looking ex-JFK?

My link above is all JL PE to SYD.

Also super inefficient to KUL https://goo.gl/flights/HePK

Though honestly if you push to far you might as well just do this and be in J the whole way https://goo.gl/flights/mEyR

Last edited by Duke787; Oct 23, 2016 at 2:26 pm
Old Oct 23, 2016, 2:34 pm
jix

I assume you are looking ex-JFK?

My link above is all JL PE to SYD.

Also super inefficient to KUL https://goo.gl/flights/HePK

Though honestly if you push to far you might as well just do this and be in J the whole way https://goo.gl/flights/mEyR
Yeah I need preferably NYC origin, with 40k miles on JL flights so that's about 2x NYC-SYD. JL's fare to SIN is near same as SYD so I might as well go further.

The AY flight books into I class which is only 70% on JL unfortunately.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 3:01 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by keitherson
Also available from YVR. Can also go to SYD.
I'm finding this available from LAX to SYD, MEL, PER, and BNE.

Anyone doing this in May? Due to work, I'm looking at mid-late May. Despite that it will be winter, I'm still thinking of MEL...although BNE is tempting.

I won't do a true MR, but stay at least 3-4 nights.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by olouie
Wow surprised this fare is still alive and going strong.
If I were CX I would have been happy to sell PE fares instead of upgrading Y passengers on these routes. It is a fair price with two stopovers.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by dogcanyon
It depends on what you're interested in. In my view, those who are big into scuba diving or those who can sit on a beach and read a book for days on end may want to stay that long, but most people are going to be bored stiff after 2 days. All of the resort islands are tiny, tiny, leading to a bad case of "cabin fever" (or perhaps in this case, "tiny island fever") in a day or two. The one we were on, Rannalhi, you could walk the entire perimeter in maybe 4 - 5 minutes and aside from scuba diving and swimming, there was literally nothing else to do. My understanding is that tourists are not allowed to visit the inhabited islands or mix with any locals (other than the resort staff), so the only way you may possibly see or interact with locals is if you go into Male while you are at the airport. Also, tourists are a "captive audience" for the resort restaurant - it's the only game in town. The water is beautiful and I'm glad I went, but to me the place is grossly over-rated and grossly over-priced and there are dozens of other "tropical paradises" that I'd rather spend time in.
This may be so as to MLE, but I think the posters referred to were talking about MEL...in which case 3-5 days is just scratching the surface. MEL is just a delightful city...and I'm not just saying that because I hope to spend a few months a year there once I retire.

--mcz

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.