Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] PAL business class: Bali - Manila - London ~355€

[PREM FARE GONE] PAL business class: Bali - Manila - London ~355€

Old Jul 7, 2016, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by MissMiles
I didn't know that a stopover was allowed. Now reading through the thread I'm wondering if I should call to extend my layover in Manila to have enough time to sightsee. Will the entire ticket reprice if I do that? Also, can I treat LHR as a stopover? My ultimate destination is NYC, but I tentatively plan on staying in London for a week.
Oh my, oh my...
Old Jul 7, 2016, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA, KLM, United, Amex, Chase, Hilton
Originally Posted by craigthemif
You can't change the final destination of LHR. Moreover, Philippines Airlines don't fly from London to New York so I'm not sure how you would expect to be flown onwards from London. As mentioned, you simply buy another ticket (or use miles) to go wherever you want from London.

This ticket looks like a fully refundable and changeable ticket, but I have previously seen mistake fares where the airline will begrudgingly agree to honour the original fare, as long as the booking is converted to be inflexible.

Personally, I might want to change things to add a stopover in MNL as well, so by all means call PAL and see what they say, then report back here.
I already have an outbound LHR-JFK booked, which I could have theoretically cancelled bc I booked it less than 24hrs ago.

My DPS-MNL-LHR flight includes an 8 hour layover in Manila, but I wouldn't mind having a longer layover to have more time to explore the city. I booked the flight on vayama, which is pretty restrictive in its rules so not sure a change would even be possible. I'll see about calling the airline and revert back
Old Jul 7, 2016, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I'll see about calling the airline and revert back
Famous last words.

(but yes, it was blogs...)
Old Jul 7, 2016, 10:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hh Gold, NH*G, SPGP, SQ-CC
Just hold our guns and wait for the dust to settle?

it's still too early to call the airline but i guess many have called.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 10:54 am
AHO

I didn't know that a stopover was allowed. Now reading through the thread I'm wondering if I should call to extend my layover in Manila to have enough time to sightsee. Will the entire ticket reprice if I do that? Also, can I treat LHR as a stopover? My ultimate destination is NYC, but I tentatively plan on staying in London for a week.
If you read onlysuites' post #20 in this thread, you can find this text in the fare rules
Code:
STOPOVERS,"   UNLIMITED FREE STOPOVERS PERMITTED ON THE PRICING
   UNIT.

HIP/MILEAGE EXCEPTIONS,"   NO HIP OR MILEAGE EXCEPTIONS APPLY.
Which means, you CAN take unlimited stopover, BUT there will be HIP Check.
In this case, the price will go up to Manila-London level (2.448 USD excl. taxes) and eventually repricing of Denpasar-London fare, which means the price will be 3.665 USD excl. taxes.

So my advise is, DO NOT CALL THE AIRLINE and do not try to over-optimize your trip when you book/have booked an error fare.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 11:01 am

For sure, I agree with you guys re: calling the airline to optimize the fare. Not going to call.

When I booked it originally, I didn't even think it would process, but once I got my flight confirmed and ticketed, I called the airline and an agent helped me select my seats. Afterwards, I checked on expert flyer to make sure my seat was occupied after the agent selected it, and it was. Honestly, I didn't really think it was that big of a deal, the flight had already ticketed.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Why can't we have a private forum on FT where only experienced and aged FT'ers are allowed access.

Last edited by Pat89339; Jul 13, 2016 at 12:07 am Reason: Remove deleted quote
Old Jul 9, 2016, 5:51 am

Understanding someone else imploring one "do not call the airline" is one thing. Accepting that as a command unbidden is something else.

A lot of people on FlyerTalk insist on "not calling the airline". I see that as one view and can understand its logic. Other people take an alternative view, for example that having purchased a ticket one then needs to make contingent plans and so it can be helpful to contact the airline for example to confirm the ticket. That also has a logic.

Continually criticising anyone who interacts with an airline over a fare on the forum is what seems "ignorant" to me. You can go your way, but I think it's appropriate and anyway somewhat inevitable to let others go theirs.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 5:54 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by onlysuites

Why can't we have a private forum on FT where only experienced and aged FT'ers are allowed access.
I did not book this fare, but I do agree, that maybe we should restrict these particular sub forums after approval from moderators etc for new members. I believe this is possible - this way - we are not closing out everyone, but just vetting members since now it is free for all (which is good, but sadly also means unnecessary attention at times).

Cheers!

Last edited by Pat89339; Jul 13, 2016 at 12:07 am Reason: Remove deleted quote
Old Jul 9, 2016, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by nldogbert
I did not book this fare, but I do agree, that maybe we should restrict these particular sub forums after approval from moderators etc for new members. I believe this is possible - this way - we are not closing out everyone, but just vetting members since now it is free for all (which is good, but sadly also means unnecessary attention at times).

Cheers!
Amen. FT gets less and less fares posted anyway, so at some point there will be nothing to call the airline for
Old Jul 9, 2016, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by HarbourGent
Understanding someone else imploring one "do not call the airline" is one thing. Accepting that as a command unbidden is something else.

A lot of people on FlyerTalk insist on "not calling the airline". I see that as one view and can understand its logic. Other people take an alternative view, for example that having purchased a ticket one then needs to make contingent plans and so it can be helpful to contact the airline for example to confirm the ticket. That also has a logic.

Continually criticising anyone who interacts with an airline over a fare on the forum is what seems "ignorant" to me. You can go your way, but I think it's appropriate and anyway somewhat inevitable to let others go theirs.

Agreed. If you're booking that ticket because it fits into already established plans (like how it does for me - I am renting a house in Bali with friends, our rental coincidentally ends the day of the flight, and I'm also coincidentally heading to London to visit family afterward) vs. just booking a random cheap fare bc "hey it's a good deal, if it works I'll make a trip out of it, if it doesn't no biggie" are two completely different things. Calling the airline may be necessary (GASP!) to ensure that flight plans can be relied upon.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 6:12 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, BA Gold, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by nldogbert

Cheers!

Hallelujah to that!
Old Jul 9, 2016, 6:17 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, BA Gold, A3 Gold
Agreed. If you're booking that ticket because it fits into already established plans (like how it does for me - I am renting a house in Bali with friends, our rental coincidentally ends the day of the flight, and I'm also coincidentally heading to London to visit family afterward) vs. just booking a random cheap fare bc "hey it's a good deal, if it works I'll make a trip out of it, if it doesn't no biggie" are two completely different things. Calling the airline may be necessary (GASP!) to ensure that flight plans can be relied upon.
Simply - your desire for seat assigments may have caused the fare to be repriced thus preventing others from booking it.

Last edited by Pat89339; Jul 13, 2016 at 12:08 am Reason: Remove personalized comment
Old Jul 9, 2016, 6:33 am

Programs: SQ AA TK
The main reason for not calling an airline is so that it won't bring attention to the error fare. An alert reservation agent may see the pricing and shoot of an inquiry to Rev. Mgmt, and then the fare is pulled and worse, the error fare not honoured.

So whether it is to get seat assignment, confirm the reservation or change dates, any interaction with the airline might mean game over for everyone.

For those who insist on calling for their seats, come on. At this price, you should contend with the lousiest seat in the house and if there are still seats left, ask for a better one at the airport.

Originally Posted by HarbourGent

Other people take an alternative view, for example that having purchased a ticket one then needs to make contingent plans and so it can be helpful to contact the airline for example to confirm the ticket. That also has a logic.
For these type of people, I don't think they should be making use of error fares at all. If you don't have deep enough knowledge and experience with the airline industry/mileage running game to have ways and means to bail yourself out when the airline cancels, then please don't play with fire. Buy a flexible standard fare from the airline direct.

Because an airline can cancel an error fare ANYTIME they fancy. So calling to check really does not do much and you are pretty much safe only AFTER you have flown.

If you want to participate in an error fare, understand the risks and if you cannot handle it, then at least be nice enough to not spoil the fun for the rest.

Would love an idea of a private sub forum, but with all the blogs etc, I think most fares will be leaked and the risk of cancellation just gets higher over time.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 6:49 pm

Programs: QF QR Silver, DJ,TG,MH
Originally Posted by dfs24
Would love an idea of a private sub forum, but with all the blogs etc, I think most fares will be leaked and the risk of cancellation just gets higher over time.
I think the last part of your statement hits the nail on the head.

You will notice in this thread, that a comment was posted, that this deal was now on the blogs. A couple of hours later, the deal was dead.
While members of this forum can do silly things (calling for seat allocation while the deal is alive), it probably pales into insignificance compared to what happens once the fare is plastered all over blogs - it's possible that people would be ringing the airline to make a booking and even arguing with agents about the price, over the phone.
FT members do have some awareness of what's a good deal and what should and shouldn't be said.

As for a private forum, from a blog viewpoint, it simply will not work. A couple of blog writers that I am aware of have a "post count" greater than most of us. They are experienced and aged.
A private forum will simply dump info into a nice tidy thread for their perusal.
It's probably better that the "good deal" posts remain buried in among the mish mash of daily forum churn.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.