Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] Sfo-ist $1484 kl/af j

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[PREM FARE GONE] Sfo-ist $1484 kl/af j

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2016, 3:12 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Folks, please limit this discussion to the fare, and not the horrific attack at IST. There's an existing thread in the Turkish Airlines forum for the discussion of that topic.

--jpdx, MR Moderator
Old Jun 28, 2016, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by 18sas
This something that I noted in the last sale, but does anyone know why YQ/YR to IST is so low, relative to other destinations?

SFO-TXL and SFO-IST for example have the same exact base fare, but SFO-IST ends up being way cheaper due to much lower YR.

What is so unique about IST in this regard?
Old Jun 28, 2016, 10:49 pm

Because of obvious Security concerbs, loads are low and prices are cheap.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 11:20 pm

Programs: AF Platinum, UA Platinum Million Miler Lifetime Gold, QR Platinum, HH Lifetime Diamond, IHG Diamond
I have 2 bookings back to back later in the year, plan to stay a few days both times, not overly concerned. I'll assess later on though if things get even worse than they are now, if that's possible. I feel so sorry for our Turkish friends, they don't deserve this.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 11:57 pm

Programs: AA,DL
Originally Posted by RabbitohRob
I have 2 bookings back to back later in the year, plan to stay a few days both times, not overly concerned. I'll assess later on though if things get even worse than they are now, if that's possible. I feel so sorry for our Turkish friends, they don't deserve this.
Yea nobody does. I have little to no sympathy to any organization that uses terror attack has a tactic.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 8:45 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Originally Posted by rcrowe5999
The question wasn't why fares are cheap. It was why YQ/YR was low. Kacee already had a better response to my question upthread.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 8:54 am

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Just called Delta regarding my upcoming SFO-IST itinerary in August. They immediately agreed to waive the $450 change fee. I rebooked it as a YVR to Europe fare instead since there is a J fare sale from YVR. Fare difference of $300 but I'm okay with that.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by rcrowe5999
This fare was filed before the IST situation happened yesterday.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 8:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Bretmd
Just called Delta regarding my upcoming SFO-IST itinerary in August. They immediately agreed to waive the $450 change fee. I rebooked it as a YVR to Europe fare instead since there is a J fare sale from YVR. Fare difference of $300 but I'm okay with that.
I wonder whether they would have let you switch it without cost to some other destination in (eastern) Europe, perhaps choosing from the list of cities included in the earlier sale, continuing to start/end at SFO.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 8:28 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by channa
This fare was filed before the IST situation happened yesterday.
There were security concerns and low loads before yesterday too. Tourist numbers in Istanbul are way down after (among other factors) the bombings earlier this year.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 8:07 am

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I wonder whether they would have let you switch it without cost to some other destination in (eastern) Europe, perhaps choosing from the list of cities included in the earlier sale, continuing to start/end at SFO.
It would be worth a try; I didn't think of that! I didn't push for anything beyond the change fee waiver.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 8:44 am

I was able to get Delta to adjust my booking to skip my leg CDG-IST without messing up my reservation. So instead of IAH/CDG/IST/DUB/CDG/IAH, I am doing IAH/CDG/DUB/CDG/IAH. I had to call 3 times and talk to different reps, but eventually I got someone who was able to get this done without charging me anything additional.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 8:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by poohfighter
I was able to get Delta to adjust my booking to skip my leg CDG-IST without messing up my reservation. So instead of IAH/CDG/IST/DUB/CDG/IAH, I am doing IAH/CDG/DUB/CDG/IAH. I had to call 3 times and talk to different reps, but eventually I got someone who was able to get this done without charging me anything additional.
You were lucky. I would have expected better chances of success if you had suggested replacing IST by ATH, PRG, etc.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 9:59 am

Programs: Several here and there, but not as many during my road warrior days!
Originally Posted by poohfighter
What are your travel dates? I am curious to see if it is within a certain window (next 30 days) that they allow the change.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by sonomawine
What are your travel dates? I am curious to see if it is within a certain window (next 30 days) that they allow the change.
I'm traveling the 15th-25th of July

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.