Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] EK: Maputo-SFO/LAX One Way First Class $2560ish

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[PREM FARE GONE] EK: Maputo-SFO/LAX One Way First Class $2560ish

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2016, 7:55 am

Mozambique's currency, Metical is undergoing heavy inflation (its value has slumped by half in past one year). Better book this early before the fares are adjusted, if it ever happens.

Last edited by sushimaru; Jul 29, 2016 at 12:01 pm
Old Jul 28, 2016, 9:19 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by RTW1
It's still a valid question. And let's not kid ourselves here, Mozambique has it's problems.... no comparison with Canada there.
Originally Posted by ExSin
Mate, a valid question for someone Travelling with kids.
If someone stays in most unsafe city in world A, person gets used to life there, gets used to surviving. If an alien questions safety regarding visiting A, it shouldn't sound offensive.
Not so strange to compare one African country that is bordering the other.... But if one has reservations about visiting CPT then MPM should be avoided as well....
As noted by Tokyoite, the original question was asking if one country was safe based on experience in a city over 1000 miles away. I wasn't comparing Canada to Mozambique; I was comparing the distance between the two locations and the fact that they are two different countries.

The question of Mozambique being safe is valid. His prejudicing the answer based on an unrelated experience isn't, "Mate".
Old Jul 30, 2016, 8:23 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
It's still a valid question. And let's not kid ourselves here, Mozambique has it's problems.... no comparison with Canada there.
if u have to ask, it is not a place for you...
Old Jul 31, 2016, 7:50 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Starwood Platinum
Many thanks to the OP for this fare.

Prior to seeing this fare I had booked the first part of an around the world trip which brought me to South Africa. The Mozambique Emirates fare was a perfect fit although I may have booked a slightly different routing than most here. Here is the broad outline of my trip beginning and ending at JFK:

Mid May Cathay Pacific in First using Alaska miles JFK-HKG

I have almost two weeks in Southeast Asia. Not sure what and where yet but I may try to check off a trip to Tibet from my list while I am there.

June 1 Arrive in JNB after a HKG-JNB flight in Cathay Business

I want to see Capetown, the wine country, and go on a safari.

June 14th MPM-JNB-DXB

When I looked at booking this flight through Kayak it referred me to Travelocity. Recently there is discussion the Emirates will convert one flight per day from JNB to the A380. That flight was not given as a choice on Travelocity but it was on Emirates own website...so I booked there.

I will have a stopover for three nights in DXB which is plenty.

June 17th, 2017 I will take Emirates to MXP for a seven day stopover. I want to go to northern Italy and maybe explore the Lake Como region.

June 24th MXP-JFK

So I will have:

Hkg-Southeast Asia two weeks
JNB-South Africa two weeks
DXB-three nights
MXP-northern Italy one week

Emirates $2181
Alaska $ 75

Alaska miles spent 70,000
Alaska earned on Emirates 16,000?
net miles 54,000

$2256 and 54,000 Alaska miles for a luxurious trip. I will have some inter asian and inter Africa flying as well but that shouldn't be too bad.

Again, thanks to the OP!

Last edited by naples_flyer; Jul 31, 2016 at 7:52 am Reason: typo
Old Jul 31, 2016, 9:58 am

Fares Gone!!!

Darn, I have booked it and was planning to issue it tomorrow - however, my guess was right - now the fares are twice as much. Unfortunately, I'll have to cancel it now...
Old Aug 1, 2016, 3:32 pm

Yes, looks gone. I was looking at it last night. It's pricing out at ~$3800. Interesting though, Air France F is coming up at ~$2500. CDG ground transfer and lounge is one of the best in the business. It may be worth it.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 4:55 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by imm2b
Interesting though, Air France F is coming up at ~$2500. CDG ground transfer and lounge is one of the best in the business. It may be worth it.
Intriguing. Routing? I'm having trouble finding it. I can spot it in biz easily.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 6:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by imm2b
Yes, looks gone. I was looking at it last night. It's pricing out at ~$3800. Interesting though, Air France F is coming up at ~$2500. CDG ground transfer and lounge is one of the best in the business. It may be worth it.
If you click through, that fare is actually in business class, unfortunately.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 7:13 pm

Gone. Almost double the price now. it was such a good deal.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA Now dirt, BA Silver soon dirt EX NW IGE. EX BA Gold EX AA EXP x9. SQ Gold
Originally Posted by torontochinese
Gone. Almost double the price now. it was such a good deal.
The RTW tickets doubled today also out of Maputo.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by callmedtop
If you click through, that fare is actually in business class, unfortunately.
Oh, that's too bad. I was getting hopeful.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 2old4coach
The RTW tickets doubled today also out of Maputo.
What was the RTW rate before the raise?
Old Aug 2, 2016, 8:59 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by cesco.g
What was the RTW rate before the raise?
Oneworld business class for 5 continents was $2700++. Mine was $3490 out the door.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by deanejj
what is the best way to book this fare?
the travel agents i have spoken to wont book fares originating from certain african countries and the agent mentioned further up in the thread was useless.
thanks
Originally Posted by deanejj
Important:
Sorry, we were unable to price the requested flight. Please choose different dates and try again.

that was MPM-DXB then DXB-SYD
The multiple city for one-ways doesn't work on the EY website, a normal one-way will get you priced.
I understand that this particular fare is gone and over, but these things come and go -- so I figured I'd respond in case it comes again. I also see that RTW mentioned the EY website -- if I missed a separate discussion about EY, I apologize. I am responding assuming we're still talking EK.

I booked through AmexTravel. If you don't have a platinum card, they tack on an $11 fee when booking a flight. I have a Biz Plat, so I booked for them for the same price I saw on ITA. No real rational reason why I did -- I just figured it wouldn't hurt to have a US-based customer service rep who will theoretically be "on my side" in case of a problem. Not sure what I'm prepping for there -- but since there is no added advantage of booking direct, I figure I'll take the potential added value of an Amex agent.

However, I priced out the same multi-city itinerary on Emirates' website just fine. I booked MPM-DXB-SIN-MEL with stopovers in both DXB and SIN. It priced at $2199 through ITA, EK site, and AmexTravel. However, it was a bit strange with AmexTravel. When I searched using their multi-city tool, the cheapest price showed $7100+. I called and the agent was just doing the same thing I was (and quite slowly), so I was about to give up. Then, just for giggles, I actually manually picked out the flights. That is to say that I used the AmexTravel multi-city tool to search. It showed cheapest at $7100. I filtered Flight #1 by departure time and picked the one I wanted from MPM to JNB. It still showed $7100+. Then I selected flight #2 -- the A380 from JNB to DXB. When I selected the second flight, the price immediately dropped to $21XX. Then I picked my third flight and with the stopovers (departure taxes), it priced at the proper $2199. I booked it.

Then, a few days later, I realized that adding AKL would have added less than $200 one way. It was late and I figured I'd go to sleep and change it in the morning....and that's the night that fares went up. Doh!

Not the best deal I saw, but I was looking to get to Bali on this trip (originally had QR biz award tix booked to Bali). I was very tempted by EZE for under $1800, but all A380 and excuses to spend some time in Dubai, Singapore, and Australia was worth a few hundred more to us in the end on this particular trip.

Anyway, like I said, figured I'd chime in for the next time a deal like this comes around.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 1:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Parachute07
I understand that this particular fare is gone and over, but these things come and go -- so I figured I'd respond in case it comes again. I also see that RTW mentioned the EY website -- if I missed a separate discussion about EY, I apologize. I am responding assuming we're still talking EK.

I booked through AmexTravel. If you don't have a platinum card, they tack on an $11 fee when booking a flight. I have a Biz Plat, so I booked for them for the same price I saw on ITA. No real rational reason why I did -- I just figured it wouldn't hurt to have a US-based customer service rep who will theoretically be "on my side" in case of a problem. Not sure what I'm prepping for there -- but since there is no added advantage of booking direct, I figure I'll take the potential added value of an Amex agent.

However, I priced out the same multi-city itinerary on Emirates' website just fine. I booked MPM-DXB-SIN-MEL with stopovers in both DXB and SIN. It priced at $2199 through ITA, EK site, and AmexTravel. However, it was a bit strange with AmexTravel. When I searched using their multi-city tool, the cheapest price showed $7100+. I called and the agent was just doing the same thing I was (and quite slowly), so I was about to give up. Then, just for giggles, I actually manually picked out the flights. That is to say that I used the AmexTravel multi-city tool to search. It showed cheapest at $7100. I filtered Flight #1 by departure time and picked the one I wanted from MPM to JNB. It still showed $7100+. Then I selected flight #2 -- the A380 from JNB to DXB. When I selected the second flight, the price immediately dropped to $21XX. Then I picked my third flight and with the stopovers (departure taxes), it priced at the proper $2199. I booked it.

Then, a few days later, I realized that adding AKL would have added less than $200 one way. It was late and I figured I'd go to sleep and change it in the morning....and that's the night that fares went up. Doh!

Not the best deal I saw, but I was looking to get to Bali on this trip (originally had QR biz award tix booked to Bali). I was very tempted by EZE for under $1800, but all A380 and excuses to spend some time in Dubai, Singapore, and Australia was worth a few hundred more to us in the end on this particular trip.

Anyway, like I said, figured I'd chime in for the next time a deal like this comes around.
it won't be the last one!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.