Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

AA: LAX-JFK-MIA-PTY RT $702 in A/J 18.9K EQMs

Old Apr 30, 2016, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Server
OCTOBER 2016 UPDATE

LAX-JFK TRANSCONTINENTAL FLIGHTS:
Recent fare rule inclusions, effective October 2016, now prevent any routing via JFK on the non-stop transcontinental A321T aircraft. Any future booking will demand a significantly higher fare to route on the non-stops via JFK. Unless the fare rules are modified and these clauses are removed (highly doubtful), the ability to fly on the transcons via JFK is a thing of the past.
IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL BETWEEN LAX AND NYC
THEN THAT TRAVEL MUST BE ON
ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY AA
BUT NOT ON AIRBUS INDUSTRIE A321 (SHARKLETS) AIRCRAFT.
AND
IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL BETWEEN SFO AND NYC
THEN THAT TRAVEL MUST BE ON
ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY AA
BUT NOT ON AIRBUS INDUSTRIE A321 (SHARKLETS) AIRCRAFT.

1. Same day turns possible on the E-jets and morning 738s.

2. Bonuses now based on fare paid.

3. As of OCTOBER 2016, best fares are now around $1000. Fare tends to rise a few hundred for 2 pax. Fares can also occasionally rise for no discernible reason, but the price spikes have thus far proven to be temporary. Fares have the trend to drop during the year. Keep checking for fares in the $700-$800 ranges for best possible pricing.

4. Airport hotels with shuttles - Crowne Plaza Panama Airport & Riande Aeropuerto. The CP is slightly closer; the Riande is slightly nicer. The CP shuttle leaves the hotel every :00 and :30 and runs 24 hours but they seem to leave a few minutes early as it had left when I went down at 4:00AM on the dot. Also, note UberX charges a US$14 surcharge on top of the ~US$2 fare. CP has poor sound isolation, I could hear my neighbors on both sides including talking, crying baby etc. Had to wear earplugs to sleep.

5. Lounges:

Please refer to this thread for more detailed and accurate information on lounge access in general: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1656378-help-desk-will-i-have-lounge-access-access-rules-2016-a.html
LAX AIRPORT

= When trying to gain oneworld J / QF F access based on status, it is simply departing/connecting/arriving at any point on same ticket to and from an eligible international destination. PTY is eligible and not excluded regardless of length.

= When trying to gain oneworld J / QF F access based on class of service disregarding status, it is the international long haul clause that applies. Therefore, no "oneworld/QF lounge" access for non-elites for trips to and from PTY unless booking transcons since PTY is under 5 hours. BUT AA doesn't enforce this in their own lounges so Admirals Club access is expected.

AA GOLDs(RUBYs)/NON-ELITES
Admirals Club access is granted regardless of routing as AA does not enforce international long haul rule. However, the oneworld J lounge does for Golds(rubys)/non-elites as they are aware the PTY flights are under 5 hours. Booking transcon flights in J/F gains access to the OWJ/QFF lounges.
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in F = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J lounge + QF F Lounge LAX>
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in J = Admirals + LAX oneworld J lounge>
<Non-Transcon F (2-class) + PTY = Technically NONE (PTY under 5 hours therefore class of service rule applies) BUT AA still opens Admirals Club doors to all customers because they dont enforce the long-haul rule>

AA PLATINUMs
Platinums gain access to all AC/Business lounges regardless of routing due to flying to and from PTY. They gain access to First/Flagship lounges when traveling in F 3-class transcon
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in F = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J lounge + QF F Lounge LAX>
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in J = Admirals + LAX oneworld J lounge>
<Non-Transcon F (2-class) + PTY = Admirals + LAX oneworld J>

AA EXPs
EXPs have access to all lounges at all airports regardless of routing so long as they are traveling to and from PTY on the same itinerary (an international destination neither excluded from AA's list of ineligible regions nor limited by the flight length rule)
<EXPs Transcon F (2-class) + PTY = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs Non-Transcon F (2-class) + PTY = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs on Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA + PTY) in Y = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs on Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA + PTY) in J = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs on Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA + PTY) in F = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>

NON-AA ONEWORLD ELITES
All sapphires and emeralds have some form of lounge access on any flight systemwide
<non-AA sapphires on ALL AA FLIGHTS = Admirals Club + oneworld J lounge LAX>
<non-AA emeralds on ALL AA FLIGHTS = Admirals Club + oneworld J lounge LAX + Flagship Lounge + QF F lounge LAX>

OTHER AIRPORTS

SFO - Admiral's Club (Centurion Lounge for a fee)
JFK - Admirals Club & Flagship Lounge for EXP/First 3-class/Emerald
MIA - Admiral's Club (Centurion Lounge for a fee), Oneworld Premium Lounge for EXP/First 3-Class/Emerald
PTY - No lounge access (Copa with PP, or for a fee, for 7am or later flights)
YVR - No lounge access (PP for a fee)
DFW - Admiral's Club (with F/C Dining for EXP/Emerald) (Centurion Lounge for a fee)

6. PTY Customs:
Inbound to PTY -
  • 12 noon - no lines reported
  • 8PM Fri (5/27/16) - ~10 min line

Outbound to MIA -
  • 4:40am - no lines reported
7. Finding flights:

NOTE: LAX-JFK NO LONGER VALID FOR LOWEST FARES (effective OCT 2016)

If you want the transcon bonus, enter the search with a connection in JFK. (e.g. LAX-JFK,JFK-MIA,MIA-PTY,PTY-JFK,JFK-SFO.) You can play around from there to get the best deal. Some of the better deals do not start and end in the same city (e.g. start in LAX, end in SFO may be cheaper than start/end in LAX).

Also, it's possible on the outbound portion to time it so you have no more than a 60-minute layover at JFK or MIA (though note that some of these flights aren't available on weekends). While yes, JFK is notorious for delays, this rarely applies for inbound red-eye flights. Also, note that AA 28 below is sometimes "hidden" if you're looking on Google Flights inside a much more expensive trip; that does not necessarily mean, however, that you can't get it for one of the trips under $1,000 (in other words, try it out to see).

NOTE: LAX-JFK NO LONGER VALID FOR LOWEST FARES (effective OCT 2016)

Below is the shortest-possible outbound itinerary that has the LAX-JFK transcon on AA's A321T with flat-bed seats:

LAX-JFK on AA 28
10:45pm - 7:22am

JFK-MIA on AA 200
8:15am - 11:24am
(Note: AA has now switched all of the metal it used on this leg - on all JFK-MIA nonstops - to 757s instead of the 767s with international-style F & J seating.)***767 and 772 are back. Flight 200 is a 772**

MIA-PTY on AA 4434
12:33pm - 2:48pm
(Note: Even more distressingly, AA switched from using a 737 on this leg to an RJ, presumably because summer is off-peak season in Central America. The 6:05pm flight still uses a 737 if a full-size aircraft is a must.)
Print Wikipost

AA: LAX-JFK-MIA-PTY RT $702 in A/J 18.9K EQMs

Old Aug 31, 2016, 4:47 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA 1K, VA Platinum, HA Platinum, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Matthew330Ci
I'm going this holiday weekend (as I'm sure at least a few others will be) and keeping a close eye on the storm in Florida, seems like it's not hitting Miami directly but here's to hoping for no delays/cancellations impacting our flights.
Safe travels! I hope your flights go smoothly in the air and on the ground! Claim original routing credit if you get rerouted/disrupted.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
I'm going this holiday weekend (as I'm sure at least a few others will be) and keeping a close eye on the storm in Florida, seems like it's not hitting Miami directly but here's to hoping for no delays/cancellations impacting our flights.
same, I've posted my flights before but let me know if you're on mine!

09/01 - 612, 5712, 10
09/02 - 200, 4434
09/03 - 4434
Old Aug 31, 2016, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by wanderlust4life
Yup all domestic segments are in First and international segments in Business. Almost always have to begin and end trip in LAX or SFO. LAX tends to be cheapest. Positioning flights to LAX booked in economy from DFW, ORD, PHX to name a few can be very cheap. I snatched a few DFW-LAX SEP-OCT flights for only 39 dollars but most are now $59+. Researching day by day and trying lots of flight routing pairs may be tedious but will be very worthwhile.
Yup, that's what I did in the past. Now I need to chase a route in Latin America with tons of EQMs. And do it twice
Old Aug 31, 2016, 6:00 pm

Definitely great other options to consider!

What I like so much about the PTY run is the same day turn in PTY! No need to clear customs and head into city etc and can be right back in MIA by the evening. Id rather layover in MIA airport hotels than PTY anyway and there are ways to actually keep flying onwards after MIA-PTY-MIA and not have to get a hotel. Hotels in PTY are also quite reasonable if a layover is planned. Even though flights may be cheaper on certain dates to other cities such as UIO, it may not be worth the extra EQMs and time/energy to deal with exiting airport and finding hotels. For example, UIO is far from city and hotel prices aren't steals. Taking into account hotel/airport transfer costs etc plus the monetary value of time spent may make up the difference to a more expensive PTY run anyway on inflexible travel dates.

The PTY run may not have the potential to be the most EQM trip when comparing to other Latin American options. At the same time, the ease of better flight connections and same day turns can make complex trips beginning all the way back in LAX much more doable and less time to complete.
I like the same day turn around option but the kicker is it's under 20k EQM which really fouls up the numbers for those going for a status level such as myself. In the end saving on hotel probably makes up for it.

For my upcoming UIO run I had to stay 2 nights in country in order to get a decent rate. In hindsight I should have gone with PTY. #LearningThis
Old Aug 31, 2016, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by hiima
So, what happens when there's irrops, cause I'm willing to bet there's gonna be irrops.
I got screwed on my itinerary in terms of IRROPS (I think a lot of us did when the WX was bad in MIA and JFK back in the beginning of June). Had to spend the night in JFK since WX was absolutely insane on the return. Also had to spend the night in DFW on my return positioning LAX-DFW-MSY itinerary since my DFW-MSY went WX.

My best advice? Pack an extra set of clean clothes and know all your options. Also, use a CC with travel/trip interruption insurance. I had to foot the bill for two hotel stays, but luckily I was able to file them with the CC's insurance policy.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by brewdog11
I got screwed on my itinerary in terms of IRROPS (I think a lot of us did when the WX was bad in MIA and JFK back in the beginning of June). Had to spend the night in JFK since WX was absolutely insane on the return. Also had to spend the night in DFW on my return positioning LAX-DFW-MSY itinerary since my DFW-MSY went WX.

My best advice? Pack an extra set of clean clothes and know all your options. Also, use a CC with travel/trip interruption insurance. I had to foot the bill for two hotel stays, but luckily I was able to file them with the CC's insurance policy.
I was asking about crediting to BA, I've had worse WX. My Mia-JFK flight got diverted to BOS then took a flight to LGA, had to uber to JFK and had to fly the JFK-LAX the next morning. I was freaking out when I woke up mid flight and the plane was going past JFK.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP x 1.5, DL GM, JB, HH GLD
It's really not anywhere near Miami. It's out in the open Gulf, and heading northeast. We are getting our fair share of rain, and I don't doubt that there will be many delayed flights due to weather, but not mass cancellations due to the airlines moving their planes out of harm's way. Safe travels.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 12:19 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I was able to get 2 PTY and 1 UIO back in June. I'm on the first now and at JFK. 1 leg down, 6 more to go.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I checked in today but only got boarding passes for the first 4 segment. What's the problem here? Too far away time-wise from the last segment? I'll just drop by an AC to get them to print out the final BP but it was surprising
Old Sep 1, 2016, 12:24 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA 1K, VA Platinum, HA Platinum, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MsSTL
I was able to get 2 PTY and 1 UIO back in June. I'm on the first now and at JFK. 1 leg down, 6 more to go.
Please post afterwards how it all goes!
Old Sep 1, 2016, 3:33 am

Originally Posted by hiima
So, what happens when there's irrops, cause I'm willing to bet there's gonna be irrops.
I am not overly bothered, I am fully expecting IRROPs and in fact it is all a bit of an adventure so I can go with the flow. I can claim ORC in BAEC should I require.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 3:34 am

Happens all the time but you just have to hope it doesn't or not to the extent of missing connections. The point of this particular run is for as many segments as possible as its crediting to BA. (LAX-LAS-PHX-PHL-CLT-MCO-MIA-PTY-MIA-MCO-CLT-RDU-DCA-PHL-PHX-LAS-LAX). The airline will try to put passenger on all flight segments but if ones delayed or cancelled or its too late in the day, then most likely a reroute will happen ultimately skipping certain segments. If this happens and too many segments are skipped and rolled into just one or two segments instead, this would defeat the purpose of the run. One option: the passenger could tell the airport agent the trip is now in vain and get the money back for unflown flights (if no remaining flights are available on the day or prolonging length of trip too much to make it worthwhile). Second option: go on whatever flights are available after being disrupted and accept the delays and inconvenience and then call up and get original routing credit after the trip.

Most likely the flyer will go on whatever is necessary to complete the run and get original routing credit as if flyer flew all those segments. Whether BA honors that since its a partner airline ticket, I have no idea but I assume it would be fine (HUCA?)

If I was just crediting to AA, Id personally wouldn't mind IRROPS since most segments are likely to be recliner seat anyway. I could get on more direct flights and then claim original routing credit!
This ^
Old Sep 1, 2016, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd
I'm not sure if this is related to this particular topic, but if you want to book an AA flight using Avios, it needs to be booked on BA.com as a reward booking.

ITA Matrix is very powerful, then use these instructions to force AA.com up to 16 sectors (max number of sectors in any one ticket): http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26663248-post2378.html

No idea One of the AA experts will need to tell you.
I tried to book the 16 segment itinerary using the method you mentioned, but AA site gives me error message 'The flight you selected is no longer available. Please select another flight or modify your request'
Any thought on how to get around this?
Thanks!
Old Sep 1, 2016, 10:12 am

Programs: AA EXP,Alaska75K,United Silver,Hyatt Diamond,Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond,IHG Plat,Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by Smiley90
same, I've posted my flights before but let me know if you're on mine!

09/01 - 612, 5712, 10
09/02 - 200, 4434
09/03 - 4434
I'm on the same 9/2 flights
Old Sep 1, 2016, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by smittytabb
I'm on the same 9/2 flights
Let's hope we dont fly into the hurricane and actually make it out of MIA!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.