Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

AA: LAX-JFK-MIA-PTY RT $702 in A/J 18.9K EQMs

Old Apr 30, 2016, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Server
OCTOBER 2016 UPDATE

LAX-JFK TRANSCONTINENTAL FLIGHTS:
Recent fare rule inclusions, effective October 2016, now prevent any routing via JFK on the non-stop transcontinental A321T aircraft. Any future booking will demand a significantly higher fare to route on the non-stops via JFK. Unless the fare rules are modified and these clauses are removed (highly doubtful), the ability to fly on the transcons via JFK is a thing of the past.
IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL BETWEEN LAX AND NYC
THEN THAT TRAVEL MUST BE ON
ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY AA
BUT NOT ON AIRBUS INDUSTRIE A321 (SHARKLETS) AIRCRAFT.
AND
IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL BETWEEN SFO AND NYC
THEN THAT TRAVEL MUST BE ON
ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY AA
BUT NOT ON AIRBUS INDUSTRIE A321 (SHARKLETS) AIRCRAFT.

1. Same day turns possible on the E-jets and morning 738s.

2. Bonuses now based on fare paid.

3. As of OCTOBER 2016, best fares are now around $1000. Fare tends to rise a few hundred for 2 pax. Fares can also occasionally rise for no discernible reason, but the price spikes have thus far proven to be temporary. Fares have the trend to drop during the year. Keep checking for fares in the $700-$800 ranges for best possible pricing.

4. Airport hotels with shuttles - Crowne Plaza Panama Airport & Riande Aeropuerto. The CP is slightly closer; the Riande is slightly nicer. The CP shuttle leaves the hotel every :00 and :30 and runs 24 hours but they seem to leave a few minutes early as it had left when I went down at 4:00AM on the dot. Also, note UberX charges a US$14 surcharge on top of the ~US$2 fare. CP has poor sound isolation, I could hear my neighbors on both sides including talking, crying baby etc. Had to wear earplugs to sleep.

5. Lounges:

Please refer to this thread for more detailed and accurate information on lounge access in general: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1656378-help-desk-will-i-have-lounge-access-access-rules-2016-a.html
LAX AIRPORT

= When trying to gain oneworld J / QF F access based on status, it is simply departing/connecting/arriving at any point on same ticket to and from an eligible international destination. PTY is eligible and not excluded regardless of length.

= When trying to gain oneworld J / QF F access based on class of service disregarding status, it is the international long haul clause that applies. Therefore, no "oneworld/QF lounge" access for non-elites for trips to and from PTY unless booking transcons since PTY is under 5 hours. BUT AA doesn't enforce this in their own lounges so Admirals Club access is expected.

AA GOLDs(RUBYs)/NON-ELITES
Admirals Club access is granted regardless of routing as AA does not enforce international long haul rule. However, the oneworld J lounge does for Golds(rubys)/non-elites as they are aware the PTY flights are under 5 hours. Booking transcon flights in J/F gains access to the OWJ/QFF lounges.
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in F = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J lounge + QF F Lounge LAX>
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in J = Admirals + LAX oneworld J lounge>
<Non-Transcon F (2-class) + PTY = Technically NONE (PTY under 5 hours therefore class of service rule applies) BUT AA still opens Admirals Club doors to all customers because they dont enforce the long-haul rule>

AA PLATINUMs
Platinums gain access to all AC/Business lounges regardless of routing due to flying to and from PTY. They gain access to First/Flagship lounges when traveling in F 3-class transcon
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in F = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J lounge + QF F Lounge LAX>
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in J = Admirals + LAX oneworld J lounge>
<Non-Transcon F (2-class) + PTY = Admirals + LAX oneworld J>

AA EXPs
EXPs have access to all lounges at all airports regardless of routing so long as they are traveling to and from PTY on the same itinerary (an international destination neither excluded from AA's list of ineligible regions nor limited by the flight length rule)
<EXPs Transcon F (2-class) + PTY = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs Non-Transcon F (2-class) + PTY = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs on Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA + PTY) in Y = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs on Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA + PTY) in J = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs on Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA + PTY) in F = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>

NON-AA ONEWORLD ELITES
All sapphires and emeralds have some form of lounge access on any flight systemwide
<non-AA sapphires on ALL AA FLIGHTS = Admirals Club + oneworld J lounge LAX>
<non-AA emeralds on ALL AA FLIGHTS = Admirals Club + oneworld J lounge LAX + Flagship Lounge + QF F lounge LAX>

OTHER AIRPORTS

SFO - Admiral's Club (Centurion Lounge for a fee)
JFK - Admirals Club & Flagship Lounge for EXP/First 3-class/Emerald
MIA - Admiral's Club (Centurion Lounge for a fee), Oneworld Premium Lounge for EXP/First 3-Class/Emerald
PTY - No lounge access (Copa with PP, or for a fee, for 7am or later flights)
YVR - No lounge access (PP for a fee)
DFW - Admiral's Club (with F/C Dining for EXP/Emerald) (Centurion Lounge for a fee)

6. PTY Customs:
Inbound to PTY -
  • 12 noon - no lines reported
  • 8PM Fri (5/27/16) - ~10 min line

Outbound to MIA -
  • 4:40am - no lines reported
7. Finding flights:

NOTE: LAX-JFK NO LONGER VALID FOR LOWEST FARES (effective OCT 2016)

If you want the transcon bonus, enter the search with a connection in JFK. (e.g. LAX-JFK,JFK-MIA,MIA-PTY,PTY-JFK,JFK-SFO.) You can play around from there to get the best deal. Some of the better deals do not start and end in the same city (e.g. start in LAX, end in SFO may be cheaper than start/end in LAX).

Also, it's possible on the outbound portion to time it so you have no more than a 60-minute layover at JFK or MIA (though note that some of these flights aren't available on weekends). While yes, JFK is notorious for delays, this rarely applies for inbound red-eye flights. Also, note that AA 28 below is sometimes "hidden" if you're looking on Google Flights inside a much more expensive trip; that does not necessarily mean, however, that you can't get it for one of the trips under $1,000 (in other words, try it out to see).

NOTE: LAX-JFK NO LONGER VALID FOR LOWEST FARES (effective OCT 2016)

Below is the shortest-possible outbound itinerary that has the LAX-JFK transcon on AA's A321T with flat-bed seats:

LAX-JFK on AA 28
10:45pm - 7:22am

JFK-MIA on AA 200
8:15am - 11:24am
(Note: AA has now switched all of the metal it used on this leg - on all JFK-MIA nonstops - to 757s instead of the 767s with international-style F & J seating.)***767 and 772 are back. Flight 200 is a 772**

MIA-PTY on AA 4434
12:33pm - 2:48pm
(Note: Even more distressingly, AA switched from using a 737 on this leg to an RJ, presumably because summer is off-peak season in Central America. The 6:05pm flight still uses a 737 if a full-size aircraft is a must.)
Print Wikipost

AA: LAX-JFK-MIA-PTY RT $702 in A/J 18.9K EQMs

Old Feb 13, 2016, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA LM Airbnb
Originally Posted by Cachris69
I'm scheduled to fly out in March on a solo trip. My wife is pregnant and freaked out about Zika, so I'v got to cancel. Called AA, but they will only give refund if pregnant person is traveling with you. Anyone had the same issue and had success in getting a refund? Change fee is $300, so that's a pretty crappy option.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA LM Airbnb
Call back and request "no chg fee" for a credit as opposed to refund. May be worth it for you if you plan to use aa within a year. We were given that as a couple trying to concieve. As always you never quite know how it will be handled. Best of luck.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 3:00 pm

I'm scheduled to fly out in March on a solo trip. My wife is pregnant and freaked out about Zika, so I'v got to cancel. Called AA, but they will only give refund if pregnant person is traveling with you. Anyone had the same issue and had success in getting a refund? Change fee is $300, so that's a pretty crappy option.
I'd appeal to a supervisor. Zika is sexually transmitted. I'd send them this CDC link on Twitter and appeal to a common sense solution:

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/65/wr/mm6505e1.htm
Old Feb 13, 2016, 10:28 pm

Programs: UA: Gold, AA: Platinum, SPG: Gold
Tell them that you are capable of bearing a child. They legally can't ask. Even if you're a "male" you could have had a sex change.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Thanks to all for the responses. FL seems like a hit or miss - will wait and see/try and post.

As for Zika, I can't understand the confusion as the website states:

Zika virus travel policy:
If you're pregnant and traveling to a destination in Latin America that's affected by the Zika virus, you and your travel companions can request a refund. Just provide a doctor's note confirming your pregnancy when you request a refund.

It is also your pregnancy - it seems pretty straightforward. I would get the doctors note - put in for the refund online. The only hiccup I would anticipate would be that they may want to confirm your marriage or partner's status - maybe a utility bill showing residence. Regardless - I would write off the first agent's response to ignorance of a new policy/public health threat. Pretty normal.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 4:32 pm

I'm in the same boat. Asked my wife twice if she was ok if I booked the flights, she said yes, I booked them, and now she's freaked out, so I'm interested to hear what you find out.

My original compromise was that I'd take an extra long layover in MIA so I land in PTY at 830pm and fly out at 6am, I'd stay at the Crowne Plaza 5 minutes from the airport, and that I'd wear long sleeves, bug spray and pre-treat my clothes with permethrin to avoid any bites. I think she's overreacting and it'll be fine, but nevertheless, keep us posted.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, ex-AA EXP, ex-UA 1K
Originally Posted by no2chem
Exactly what basis do you have for this? You aren't AA --- only RM knows whether or not fares should exist.
Uh, I think you're taking my comment a wee bit too literally.

Originally Posted by no2chem
People calling things "error fares" and such is what led to the recent DOT decisions in the first place... If you call it an "error fare" you give AA the license to rescind the fare since you are apparently knowingly exploiting it...
...which is why I never said it was an error fare. Obviously it's not. (The earlier ~$430 fare might've been, but AA obviously elected not to make a big deal out of it, presumably because they caught it quickly.) If anything I'd call it a "loophole fare": the ticket prices are roughly the same as if a pax flew nonstop between LAX-MIA en route to PTY, despite AA flying only its standard domestic metal on the route (ergo, no flat-bed seats).

Btw I know it's common practice among FTers to avoid phoning an airline directly about a true error fare, but that doesn't mean we are the ones defining the fares as such. That's generally the airlines' own call, and the DOT appears to be supportive of those calls. Further, most bona fide error fares are prima facie (plain on their face) erroneous, e.g. last year's incident when AA's Brazilian servers experienced some sort of rounding error in their conversion of reals to dollars, and were pricing tickets at 1/10th the usual price.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hartlogan
Technically, it could be read as LAX-JFK-MIA is connecting to MIA-PTY, but good luck convincing the FL desk agent that if they say no. Definitely open to interpretation.
FWIW, I'm only PLT but had no problem entering the Admirals Clubs at all three airports on my trip last weekend. The logic should be the same for FLs: at LAX & JFK, you have access because you're on a transcon. At MIA, you get it because you're either headed to or arriving from PTY.

Btw you guys know there isn't a FL at MIA, right?

P.S. Slightly funny/sad story on my way back from PTY upon arrival at JFK's lounge: the desk agent was dealing with an irate pax who was refused access because he was "only" flying to LAS.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 7:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP/Exec Citi, NZ* G, Nat EE, Avis PP, HH Gold
Originally Posted by kirker
The logic should be the same for FLs: at LAX & JFK, you have access because you're on a transcon. At MIA, you get it because you're either headed to or arriving from PTY.

Btw you guys know there isn't a FL at MIA, right?
That's a bit vague on the logic and leaves some things out. You would have access to FL at LAX if you're in F on the transcon. You may have access to the FL in JFK if you're EXP because you're a "AAdvantage Executive Platinum member (regardless of cabin flown) departing or connecting to a qualifying international* flight marketed and operated by American or a oneworld airline".

AC and FL access rules are a bit different in logic, at least in clear-cut wording. AC at LAX for a PLT might happen because they consider it the same itinerary to PTY with a less than 24hr stopover in JFK. FL seems to be a bit more restrictive on the same-day connecting flight logic, or at least it's not well-defined.

Yes, I think most people are referring to the FL at LAX/JFK and the AC at all three of them.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

That's a bit vague on the logic and leaves some things out. You would have access to FL at LAX if you're in F on the transcon.
No offense, but that's not the topic of this thread (or the forum, really). The $702 fares in the thread title -- as well as all the other discounted fares between $430 and ~$800 -- are specific to J seats on the transcon.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 9:15 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
No offense, but that's not the topic of this thread (or the forum, really). The $702 fares in the thread title -- as well as all the other discounted fares between $430 and ~$800 -- are specific to J seats on the transcon.

You were the one that said the logic should be the same for FL, but it's not and he pointed that out. As I and others have stated, access for EXPs to the FL in LAX flying in J on the transcon is open for interpretation.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 10:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP/Exec Citi, NZ* G, Nat EE, Avis PP, HH Gold
That's a bit vague on the logic and leaves some things out. You would have access to FL at LAX if you're in F on the transcon.
I'm not even close to offended, just extremely confused. Do you perhaps share an account with someone who posted the prior comment without your knowledge?

FWIW, I'm only PLT but had no problem entering the Admirals Clubs at all three airports on my trip last weekend. The logic should be the same for FLs: at LAX & JFK, you have access because you're on a transcon..
You posted that you would have access to the FL on the transcon, which is clearly not the case for the "$702 fares in the thread title...[that] are specific to J seats on the transcon". If not considered disinformation, it's definitely ambiguous. I said you would have access to FL in LAX if you're in F on the transcon, so your comment wouldn't be taken the wrong way.

And, there's comments upthread about someone using a SWU to get in F on the transcon, and others asking if J+EXP+int'l connection gets them into the FL in LAX. So it does relate to this fare/MR/trip, albeit a bit indirectly.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 10:02 am

I received a "schedule change" email today, my return leg PTY-MIA on 5/29 changed from a mainline 737 to an Eagle/Republic Airlines E175. The departure and arrival times stayed the same but of course the flight number changed.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by hogo74
I received a "schedule change" email today, my return leg PTY-MIA on 5/29 changed from a mainline 737 to an Eagle/Republic Airlines E175. The departure and arrival times stayed the same but of course the flight number changed.
Wish I'd get the same email. I'm assuming it's the old 737's on this route? If so, I'd rather be on a new E175.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

You posted that you would have access to the FL on the transcon, which is clearly not the case for the "$702 fares in the thread title...[that] are specific to J seats on the transcon". If not considered disinformation, it's definitely ambiguous. I said you would have access to FL in LAX if you're in F on the transcon, so your comment wouldn't be taken the wrong way.
Okay, I see what you mean now. I misspoke (mistyped?): what I meant was simply that the logic should be the same if you're an EXP (or, I suppose, flying in F via SWU), but apparently that's not the case. Also, I did not mean to infer that anyone traveling in I, or below EXP level, would somehow obtain FL access.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.