Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

AA: LAX-JFK-MIA-PTY RT $702 in A/J 18.9K EQMs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 30, 2016, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Server
OCTOBER 2016 UPDATE

LAX-JFK TRANSCONTINENTAL FLIGHTS:
Recent fare rule inclusions, effective October 2016, now prevent any routing via JFK on the non-stop transcontinental A321T aircraft. Any future booking will demand a significantly higher fare to route on the non-stops via JFK. Unless the fare rules are modified and these clauses are removed (highly doubtful), the ability to fly on the transcons via JFK is a thing of the past.
IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL BETWEEN LAX AND NYC
THEN THAT TRAVEL MUST BE ON
ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY AA
BUT NOT ON AIRBUS INDUSTRIE A321 (SHARKLETS) AIRCRAFT.
AND
IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL BETWEEN SFO AND NYC
THEN THAT TRAVEL MUST BE ON
ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY AA
BUT NOT ON AIRBUS INDUSTRIE A321 (SHARKLETS) AIRCRAFT.

1. Same day turns possible on the E-jets and morning 738s.

2. Bonuses now based on fare paid.

3. As of OCTOBER 2016, best fares are now around $1000. Fare tends to rise a few hundred for 2 pax. Fares can also occasionally rise for no discernible reason, but the price spikes have thus far proven to be temporary. Fares have the trend to drop during the year. Keep checking for fares in the $700-$800 ranges for best possible pricing.

4. Airport hotels with shuttles - Crowne Plaza Panama Airport & Riande Aeropuerto. The CP is slightly closer; the Riande is slightly nicer. The CP shuttle leaves the hotel every :00 and :30 and runs 24 hours but they seem to leave a few minutes early as it had left when I went down at 4:00AM on the dot. Also, note UberX charges a US$14 surcharge on top of the ~US$2 fare. CP has poor sound isolation, I could hear my neighbors on both sides including talking, crying baby etc. Had to wear earplugs to sleep.

5. Lounges:

Please refer to this thread for more detailed and accurate information on lounge access in general: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1656378-help-desk-will-i-have-lounge-access-access-rules-2016-a.html
LAX AIRPORT

= When trying to gain oneworld J / QF F access based on status, it is simply departing/connecting/arriving at any point on same ticket to and from an eligible international destination. PTY is eligible and not excluded regardless of length.

= When trying to gain oneworld J / QF F access based on class of service disregarding status, it is the international long haul clause that applies. Therefore, no "oneworld/QF lounge" access for non-elites for trips to and from PTY unless booking transcons since PTY is under 5 hours. BUT AA doesn't enforce this in their own lounges so Admirals Club access is expected.

AA GOLDs(RUBYs)/NON-ELITES
Admirals Club access is granted regardless of routing as AA does not enforce international long haul rule. However, the oneworld J lounge does for Golds(rubys)/non-elites as they are aware the PTY flights are under 5 hours. Booking transcon flights in J/F gains access to the OWJ/QFF lounges.
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in F = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J lounge + QF F Lounge LAX>
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in J = Admirals + LAX oneworld J lounge>
<Non-Transcon F (2-class) + PTY = Technically NONE (PTY under 5 hours therefore class of service rule applies) BUT AA still opens Admirals Club doors to all customers because they dont enforce the long-haul rule>

AA PLATINUMs
Platinums gain access to all AC/Business lounges regardless of routing due to flying to and from PTY. They gain access to First/Flagship lounges when traveling in F 3-class transcon
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in F = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J lounge + QF F Lounge LAX>
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in J = Admirals + LAX oneworld J lounge>
<Non-Transcon F (2-class) + PTY = Admirals + LAX oneworld J>

AA EXPs
EXPs have access to all lounges at all airports regardless of routing so long as they are traveling to and from PTY on the same itinerary (an international destination neither excluded from AA's list of ineligible regions nor limited by the flight length rule)
<EXPs Transcon F (2-class) + PTY = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs Non-Transcon F (2-class) + PTY = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs on Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA + PTY) in Y = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs on Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA + PTY) in J = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs on Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA + PTY) in F = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>

NON-AA ONEWORLD ELITES
All sapphires and emeralds have some form of lounge access on any flight systemwide
<non-AA sapphires on ALL AA FLIGHTS = Admirals Club + oneworld J lounge LAX>
<non-AA emeralds on ALL AA FLIGHTS = Admirals Club + oneworld J lounge LAX + Flagship Lounge + QF F lounge LAX>

OTHER AIRPORTS

SFO - Admiral's Club (Centurion Lounge for a fee)
JFK - Admirals Club & Flagship Lounge for EXP/First 3-class/Emerald
MIA - Admiral's Club (Centurion Lounge for a fee), Oneworld Premium Lounge for EXP/First 3-Class/Emerald
PTY - No lounge access (Copa with PP, or for a fee, for 7am or later flights)
YVR - No lounge access (PP for a fee)
DFW - Admiral's Club (with F/C Dining for EXP/Emerald) (Centurion Lounge for a fee)

6. PTY Customs:
Inbound to PTY -
  • 12 noon - no lines reported
  • 8PM Fri (5/27/16) - ~10 min line

Outbound to MIA -
  • 4:40am - no lines reported
7. Finding flights:

NOTE: LAX-JFK NO LONGER VALID FOR LOWEST FARES (effective OCT 2016)

If you want the transcon bonus, enter the search with a connection in JFK. (e.g. LAX-JFK,JFK-MIA,MIA-PTY,PTY-JFK,JFK-SFO.) You can play around from there to get the best deal. Some of the better deals do not start and end in the same city (e.g. start in LAX, end in SFO may be cheaper than start/end in LAX).

Also, it's possible on the outbound portion to time it so you have no more than a 60-minute layover at JFK or MIA (though note that some of these flights aren't available on weekends). While yes, JFK is notorious for delays, this rarely applies for inbound red-eye flights. Also, note that AA 28 below is sometimes "hidden" if you're looking on Google Flights inside a much more expensive trip; that does not necessarily mean, however, that you can't get it for one of the trips under $1,000 (in other words, try it out to see).

NOTE: LAX-JFK NO LONGER VALID FOR LOWEST FARES (effective OCT 2016)

Below is the shortest-possible outbound itinerary that has the LAX-JFK transcon on AA's A321T with flat-bed seats:

LAX-JFK on AA 28
10:45pm - 7:22am

JFK-MIA on AA 200
8:15am - 11:24am
(Note: AA has now switched all of the metal it used on this leg - on all JFK-MIA nonstops - to 757s instead of the 767s with international-style F & J seating.)***767 and 772 are back. Flight 200 is a 772**

MIA-PTY on AA 4434
12:33pm - 2:48pm
(Note: Even more distressingly, AA switched from using a 737 on this leg to an RJ, presumably because summer is off-peak season in Central America. The 6:05pm flight still uses a 737 if a full-size aircraft is a must.)
Print Wikipost

AA: LAX-JFK-MIA-PTY RT $702 in A/J 18.9K EQMs

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2016, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by IWontRegretThis
Prices seem to have jumped - cheapest I can find is ~$840 now
I got $609 LAX-MIA-PTY-DFW-LAX at 4:38 p.m. PST. I tried talking a friend into going with me and she said she didn't want to go. Now she wants to go and I'm having a hard time finding anything below $772.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold
Originally Posted by SuperDudley
I got $609 LAX-MIA-PTY-DFW-LAX at 4:38 p.m. PST. I tried talking a friend into going with me and she said she didn't want to go. Now she wants to go and I'm having a hard time finding anything below $772.
Oh I was going LAX-JFK-MIA and return... 772 retrofit JFK-MIA and 767 refit MIA-JFK makes the extra worth it to me... just would have prefered it for the 690 I originally found it for.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 8:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Had LAX-JFK-MIA-PTY rt ~$625 many dates.. hesitated since I just got back from one of these and exhausted.. so regretting not just holding it..
Old Jan 25, 2016, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Where is everyone staying on these?

Avis gives me the option for a $20 car rental for a 700 arival and 5am return the next morning. I could use points to get a free hotel. I don't even know if I'm allowed to drive in Panama? lol
Old Jan 25, 2016, 8:46 pm

Just be aware of the high insurance prices on rental cars. While the rate is low insurance can range upwards of $50/day and they will not accept the fact that your cc has insurance coverage linked with it. Knowledge of this due to the fact of going to PTY 4 times last year. Public transport is $1.25 I believe in the city bus and works just fine.

QUOTE=BThumme;26081096]Where is everyone staying on these?

Avis gives me the option for a $20 car rental for a 700 arival and 5am return the next morning. I could use points to get a free hotel. I don't even know if I'm allowed to drive in Panama? lol[/QUOTE]
Old Jan 25, 2016, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by lovefly88
Just be aware of the high insurance prices on rental cars. While the rate is low insurance can range upwards of $50/day and they will not accept the fact that your cc has insurance coverage linked with it. Knowledge of this due to the fact of going to PTY 4 times last year. Public transport is $1.25 I believe in the city bus and works just fine.

QUOTE=BThumme;26081096]Where is everyone staying on these?

Avis gives me the option for a $20 car rental for a 700 arival and 5am return the next morning. I could use points to get a free hotel. I don't even know if I'm allowed to drive in Panama? lol
[/QUOTE]

From what I've read online, a taxi costs $30+ to get anywhere from the airport each way. What would be the better way? There's a crowne plaza right nearby, that I believe has a free shuttle, but it's also in walking distance.

The downtown hotels are cheap ($60-70), but if I have to double that for taxi costs, I'm better off just staying nearby.

I would only need a rental car for ~10 hours, so if it's only an extra $20 or so, that's not that big of a deal.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 9:19 pm
Suspended

Was able to put this one on hold for $622 about 3 hours ago, before prices went up.

AA 10 LAX March 5, 2016 09:30 PM JFK March 6, 2016 05:44 AM Business

AA 942 JFK March 6, 2016 11:20 AM MIA March 6, 2016 02:26 PM First

AA 959 MIA March 6, 2016 06:15 PM PTY March 6, 2016 09:16 PM Business

AA 960 PTY March 7, 2016 07:00 AM MIA March 7, 2016 10:03 AM Business

AA 64 MIA March 7, 2016 12:35 PM JFK March 7, 2016 03:27 PM First

AA 21 JFK March 7, 2016 06:30 PM LAX March 7, 2016 09:59 PM Business
Old Jan 25, 2016, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
This was a good deal, no amazing deal, thanks OP for posting! I never do mileage runs as I dont need to but I have never been to PTY and since all the LAX-JFK flights had A availability I figured what they hell I'll spend a short weekend in PTY and check it out. Anyone have thoughts on a good hotel, prefer nice > cheap.
thanks
Old Jan 25, 2016, 11:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by joetraveler99
I think the Zika Virus scare is keeping people off the planes to South and Central America.
Just read up about this. Thanks for the heads up--kills the deal for me and my fiance

http://www.vox.com/2016/1/20/1079556...-birth-defects
Old Jan 26, 2016, 5:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Taxis

From what I've read online, a taxi costs $30+ to get anywhere from the airport each way. What would be the better way? There's a crowne plaza right nearby, that I believe has a free shuttle, but it's also in walking distance.

The downtown hotels are cheap ($60-70), but if I have to double that for taxi costs, I'm better off just staying nearby.

I would only need a rental car for ~10 hours, so if it's only an extra $20 or so, that's not that big of a deal.[/QUOTE]
I did this trip late last year and learned that if you get a taxi outside of the major areas i.e. Grab it on the street it's MUCH cheaper. I took one from the airport and I think was $30 but I spent two nights and went hiking near a waterfall the full day I had there. If you take the bus from the airport you can get more central and go from there, everyone is so very helpful and nice.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by ryan182
This was a good deal, no amazing deal, thanks OP for posting! I never do mileage runs as I dont need to but I have never been to PTY and since all the LAX-JFK flights had A availability I figured what they hell I'll spend a short weekend in PTY and check it out. Anyone have thoughts on a good hotel, prefer nice > cheap.
thanks
I did this run just over a month ago and have a trip writeup here:

http://www.otherhand.org/home-page/m...december-2015/

I found the Grace Panama hotel to be really amazing. As has been mentioned, the cab ride in is about $30, but if you Google "PTY taxi trick" you'll find instructions on how to snag a taxi at the airport for cheaper. It's true you can take a bus to/from the airport to downtwon for only $1.50, but to ride the bus you need a preloaded smart card, and they don't sell them at the airport. The buses don't take cash.

Think REAL carefully about renting a car for travel in Panama City. I was initially planning on doing so, then changed my mind at the last minute. I'm so glad I did once I saw how bad it was during peak periods. I've haven't been everywhere in the world (mostly Europe), but Panama City's traffic is the worse I've seen so far.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 7:44 am

Programs: SK Diamond, QR Platinum, AA Platinum, BA Silver, IHG Gold Ambassador
A shame this one disappeared before I was able to pull the trigger. As a data point I was able to find ex-SFO for about $120 extra.

Let's hope this one re-appears, or even better, the SJO-fare

Thanks to OP for posting.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 9:37 am

Looks to be working now for me, dont know for howie long

http://goo.gl/flights/3Xyx
Old Jan 26, 2016, 10:18 am

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Originally Posted by ryan182
thanks
You were able to get LAX-JFK segments to book into A at these $6-700 prices?
Old Jan 26, 2016, 10:34 am

$475 and on hold on AA

http://goo.gl/flights/VI2x

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.