Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] QR - OSL-CPT i J r/t - GBP 666 / €890

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2016, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens

Can be booked on gotogate.co.uk or one of their EU alternatives like www.supersaver.nl (slightly cheaper if you pay in Euros and also you don't get the credit card fees).

Look for the best dates because you can find some with good < 3hr transits in DOH.

I am doing a week in November. ^
Old Jan 11, 2016, 5:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Tried to look for End of Feb to End of May, however could not find the prices you mention. Any assistance?

Thank you for your post.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 5:49 pm

Think max stay is 1 month
Old Jan 11, 2016, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Nice!!! ^^

I can't find lower then £720 but thats still a great fare considering I was gonna pull the plug yesterday at £1025 on the QR site.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by henkybaby
Can be booked on gotogate.co.uk or one of their EU alternatives like www.supersaver.nl (slightly cheaper if you pay in Euros and also you don't get the credit card fees).
excellent fares ... and nice times for cheap(ish) and convenient connecting flights from/to the UK. (An overnight in Oslo plus a couple of beers can put a financial damper on these trips!)

Not so sure about the credit card thing though. All the Gotogate "family" seem to have credit card charges: part of their business model.

The NL site puts a 2% surcharge on the payment, nothing at all for debit cards. The UK version is greedier, asking 2.5% for credit cards, but also zero for debits.

With fares themselves around 2% cheaper theres a definite advantage buying through the euro sites IF the UK GBP card carries out "pure" currency exchanges. Or, of course, you can pay in euros !
Old Jan 12, 2016, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The supersaver.nl site did not charge me any cc-fees. It did charge €27 for a direct online bank payment, which is the most common online payment method in NL. I used MC and maybe it was because I am based in NL and the billing address is in NL. You could also try gotogate.no for instance.

My itinerary is
OSL-DOH 17:00-01:30
DOH-CPT 02:55-11:20

CPT-DOH 13:20-23:20
DOH-OSL 01:10-06:05

So no need for positioning the day before and no long layovers in DOH. Pretty perfect actually. Partly why I pulled the trigger.

I first looked on google flights for the dates where I could get this connection and then I went to the site to book. On the third or fourth date combo it gave me the €880 price.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 2:10 am

The supersaver.nl site did not charge me any cc-fees. It did charge €27 for a direct online bank payment, which is the most common online payment method in NL. I used MC and maybe it was because I am based in NL and the billing address is in NL. You could also try gotogate.no for instance.

My itinerary is
OSL-DOH 17:00-01:30
DOH-CPT 02:55-11:20

CPT-DOH 13:20-23:20
DOH-OSL 01:10-06:05

So no need for positioning the day before and no long layovers in DOH. Pretty perfect actually. Partly why I pulled the trigger.

I first looked on google flights for the dates where I could get this connection and then I went to the site to book. On the third or fourth date combo it gave me the €880 price.
Saturday-Saturday works best for us. That meant a gruelling 9.5hrs layover outbound with a horrible 2350-0650 layover on the return. Wonder how often QR does schedule changes but given October is S16 - unlikely! Did QR cut frequency to Oslo? In a moment of thinking this was an opportunity I hastily booked too quickly.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

That would make the trip too much for me... IF there is no shorter layover, QR will provide a hotel. If there is a shorter layover (but at a higher price for instance) then they won't. You can stay at the airport hotel in DOH which will set you back around €170 per night.

I know this because I made the same mistake with a fare to BKK from AMS which has long layovers on both out- and inbound. I have reserved the hotel on the outbound. Flying Jan 19th. I will report back how it was.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 3:17 am

That would make the trip too much for me... IF there is no shorter layover, QR will provide a hotel. If there is a shorter layover (but at a higher price for instance) then they won't. You can stay at the airport hotel in DOH which will set you back around €170 per night.

I know this because I made the same mistake with a fare to BKK from AMS which has long layovers on both out- and inbound. I have reserved the hotel on the outbound. Flying Jan 19th. I will report back how it was.
Oh, I expect pain. My partner is stellar for dealing with this. So I will probably book him a direct DOH-BRU flight on the way back (still overnight required) but saves him going via OSL.

Outbound is actually ok - we can see a few things in Doha and then wake up in CT (3am departure). We qualify for the hotel outbound but as the inbound is a 7 hour layover, it falls an hour outside the requirement (which is strictly when it is needed, so will book the airport hotel).
Old Jan 12, 2016, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

You only qualify IF there is no shorter connection. Not if you booked a long one. In oktober there are 3 flights per day between OSL and DOH.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 3:29 am

Programs: TK Elite, QR Gold
Henkybaby - 510 eur is a great price.

cannot replicate on QR website for any dates in OCT.

are you sure that all the legs are in Business?
Old Jan 12, 2016, 3:31 am

You only qualify IF there is no shorter connection. Not if you booked a long one. In oktober there are 3 flights per day between OSL and DOH.
I am aware - on Saturdays and Sundays there is only QR180 (Saturday, to Doha), QR175 (Sunday, to Oslo).
Old Jan 12, 2016, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Culture Guru
Henkybaby - 510 eur is a great price.

cannot replicate on QR website for any dates in OCT.

are you sure that all the legs are in Business?
I removed it. Was a mistake. It priced in Y. Thought I was fast enough, but apparently not. So apologies to those who had to take beta blockers.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dodgeflyer
I am aware - on Saturdays and Sundays there is only QR180 (Saturday, to Doha), QR175 (Sunday, to Oslo).
^^ Enjoy the Oryx Rotana!
Old Jan 12, 2016, 4:11 am

^^ Enjoy the Oryx Rotana!
Sure I won't

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.