Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

AA: LAX-MIA-UIO RT Biz $858: 8256 flown miles

Old Sep 28, 2016, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wanderlust4life
LAX-JFK TRANSCONTINENTAL FLIGHTS:
Recent fare rule inclusions now prevent any routing via JFK on the non-stop transcontinental A321T aircraft. Any future booking will demand a significantly higher fare to route on the non-stops via JFK. Unless the fare rules are modified and these clauses are removed (highly doubtful), the ability to fly on the transcons via JFK is a thing of the past.
IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL BETWEEN LAX AND NYC
THEN THAT TRAVEL MUST BE ON
ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY AA
BUT NOT ON AIRBUS INDUSTRIE A321 (SHARKLETS) AIRCRAFT.
AND
IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL BETWEEN SFO AND NYC
THEN THAT TRAVEL MUST BE ON
ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY AA
BUT NOT ON AIRBUS INDUSTRIE A321 (SHARKLETS) AIRCRAFT.
LOUNGE ACCESS:
LAX AIRPORT

= When trying to gain oneworld J / QF F access based on status, it is simply departing/connecting/arriving at any point on same ticket to and from an eligible international destination. UIO is eligible and not excluded regardless of length.

= When trying to gain oneworld J / QF F access based on class of service disregarding status, it is the international long haul clause that applies. Therefore, no "oneworld/QF lounge" access for non-elites for trips to and from UIO unless booking transcons since UIO is under 5 hours. BUT AA doesn't enforce this in their own lounges so Admirals Club access is expected.

AA GOLDs(RUBYs)/NON-ELITES
Admirals Club access is granted regardless of routing as AA does not enforce international long haul rule. However, the oneworld J lounge does for Golds(rubys)/non-elites as they are aware the UIO flights are under 5 hours. Booking transcon flights in J/F gains access to the OWJ/QFF lounges.
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in F = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J lounge + QF F Lounge LAX>
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in J = Admirals + LAX oneworld J lounge>
<Non-Transcon F (2-class) + UIO = Technically NONE (UIO under 5 hours therefore class of service rule applies) BUT AA still opens Admirals Club doors to all customers because they dont enforce the long-haul rule>

AA PLATINUMs
Platinums gain access to all AC/Business lounges regardless of routing due to flying to and from UIO. They gain access to First/Flagship lounges when traveling in F 3-class transcon
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in F = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J lounge + QF F Lounge LAX>
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in J = Admirals + LAX oneworld J lounge>
<Non-Transcon F (2-class) + UIO = Admirals + LAX oneworld J>

AA EXPs
EXPs have access to all lounges at all airports regardless of routing so long as they are traveling to and from UIO on the same itinerary (an international destination neither excluded from AA's list of ineligible regions nor limited by the flight length rule)
<EXPs Transcon F (2-class) + UIO = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs Non-Transcon F (2-class) + UIO = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs on Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA + UIO) in Y = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs on Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA + UIO) in J = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs on Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA + UIO) in F = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>

NON-AA ONEWORLD ELITES
All sapphires and emeralds have some form of lounge access on any flight systemwide
<non-AA sapphires on ALL AA FLIGHTS = Admirals Club + oneworld J lounge LAX>
<non-AA emeralds on ALL AA FLIGHTS = Admirals Club + oneworld J lounge LAX + Flagship Lounge + QF F lounge LAX>

OTHER AIRPORTS

SFO - Admiral's Club (Centurion Lounge for a fee)
JFK - Admirals Club & Flagship Lounge for EXP/First 3-class/Emerald
MIA - Admiral's Club (Centurion Lounge for a fee), Oneworld Premium Lounge for EXP/First 3-Class/Emerald
UIO - No lounge access (Priority Pass lounge available)
YVR - No lounge access (PP for a fee)
DFW - Admiral's Club (with F/C Dining for EXP/Emerald) (Centurion Lounge for a fee)
Print Wikipost

AA: LAX-MIA-UIO RT Biz $858: 8256 flown miles

Old Oct 19, 2016, 5:03 pm

Does anyone know how many cpm on average can one earn on LAX-UIO r/t? I imagine it wouldn't be close to what it used to be, just want to know how it compares to other J fares these days. TIA.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
I highly suggest the wyndham by the airport if you are on a one night run or getting I'm at night and want to head to the city in the morning. If you have wyndham points, the c and p rate is stupid good. A regular award booking can get you a suite, unless they fixed it. The regular rooms are absolutely adequate. Comfortable beds, decent shower, usable Wi-Fi, restaurant and bar, and a fitness room. The location is hilariously walkable from the airport, they do have a shuttle though too. If you must use a taxi, don't pay more than a dollar or two.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 8:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Carlson/HHonors GLD, National Ex, Hertz Gld, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by wanderlust4life
My personal experience:

I arrived a bit delayed around 10pm on same flight but an earlier scheduled time and then immigration took almost an hour. Then took a taxi to the Hilton in the city which was about 45 minutes. No traffic this late. Got into hotel room after midnight. Tried to unwind after showering and getting into bed but didnt get to sleep until 1am. Slept for 3 hours until wake up call at 4 am. Then left hotel at 4:30am. Got to airport between 5 and 5:15am. No traffic this early. Checked in and got through immigration in less than 10 minutes. Boarded about a half hour later for a 7am departure.

Never again will I do this quick overnight turn with a stay in the city. I was kicking myself for not staying next to the airport at the Wyndham. It was a waste of time to go into the city to stay at a Hilton on an award stay just to be in the hotel for not even 5 hours. I had booked another run that I ended up canceling which had two nights in Quito and that would have been much more worth it so I could actually see the city and do stuff.

I strongly recommend that you stay near the airport at the Wyndham or at the family run mini-hotels. A friend stayed at Hotel Las Mercedes for 35 dollars and they picked him up from the airport and it was just perfect for a short overnight stay. I know the Wyndham is much more expensive but the hotel is exponentially nicer than the small inns nearby.

I also was really affected by the altitude being that I live at sea level and flew in from sea level. A lot of people aren't affected but for me, I had a headache and was even more tired so the few hours of sleep there didnt help at all. If I had stayed near the airport, I know that extra time in the airport hotel room would have made a difference in how I felt.

In sum, it was a miserable experience in UIO and I could not wait to get back to Miami where I felt much better after a nice rest on the plane and being back in lower elevations. I never thought Id be so excited to be back on an AA plane but oh did it feel good to lay down in comfort on a smooth ride to MIA.

From what I saw, I thought the Hilton was great. I didnt experience much though. For my 2017 UIO trip, I will be staying at the Hilton again on points. SO cheap at 20K. I feel its so hard to get 20K hilton stays nowadays. 30k is so much more common. Ill have more time there and Ill be taking some medicine too so the extra day makes a world of difference to me.

The PTY same day turn trips are a cake walk compared to UIO. At same time, you dont get as many EQMs so its all about weighing the pros and cons.
Thanks for the run-down. I actually have 2 nights- get in on the 10th, leave on the 12th, so I have a day to relax/see a few things. Sounds like it doesn't take too long to check in for the return flight, which is good. It's at 8, not 7, but hopefully that'll still be before traffic. I have Starwood/Marriott status, so I'm debating between the Sheraton or the JW Marriott. Marriott is cheaper, and looks like it's maybe closer to attractions??

I've done PTY as well, but that one I ended up doing some meetings, which took most of my one day there, and so I didn't have time to explore on my own. It sounds like the planes on that run now have been downsized. I'd still consider doing it again, though, and maybe trying to book with AA vacations if they award some EQDs for those next year.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 8:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Carlson/HHonors GLD, National Ex, Hertz Gld, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by hiima
I highly suggest the wyndham by the airport if you are on a one night run or getting I'm at night and want to head to the city in the morning. If you have wyndham points, the c and p rate is stupid good. A regular award booking can get you a suite, unless they fixed it. The regular rooms are absolutely adequate. Comfortable beds, decent shower, usable Wi-Fi, restaurant and bar, and a fitness room. The location is hilariously walkable from the airport, they do have a shuttle though too. If you must use a taxi, don't pay more than a dollar or two.
Thanks for the tip, I may look into it for our first night. I don't have many Wyndham points, but it seems like rates for hotels in UIO generally aren't bad.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 11:35 am

Programs: WP
Got this on hold right now for $1089, lie flats all the way (Of course equipment changes can always happen). Anyone on these flights? Leaving LAX Dec 3rd, back next day.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 12:39 pm

There's an Aero Servicios bus service that takes you into the city. It's $8 each way. Pickup/drop off is where the old airport used to be in the city. The ticket booth is at the right end of the terminal after exiting customs.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 12:59 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA 1K, VA Platinum, HA Platinum, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by island82
Got this on hold right now for $1089, lie flats all the way (Of course equipment changes can always happen). Anyone on these flights? Leaving LAX Dec 3rd, back next day.
Kinda expensive for the EQMs BUT to pull it off in 2 days is great because time spent on these trips also can hold a considerable price tag for most!

My next UIO trip takes about 6 days and I'm getting 27500 miles for $960. Granted its complicated and dragged out but I could have condensed it into 4 days. I just need time on the ground to make it enjoyable for me personally.

Your trip is $130 more and getting a total of 16544 EQMs and you are routing via DFW on the return (having all lie flats are great though).

If you were to go the following weekend, December 10-11, you could do the same lie flats LAX-MIA-UIO on the outbound and then also lie flats on the way back UIO-MIA-LAX. Its $120 cheaper at $971 and you'd get 16516 EQMs. IMO to route via DFW on the way back for an extra 28 miles plus spending $130 more, isnt worth the extra money and extra flight. But if you dont want to wait around in MIA after getting back from UIO and just want to get out of there then going via DFW would be the better option. Just keep in mind you'll have a better service given that the MIA-LAX is a nonstop transcon.

Heres the link plus a photo of the itinerary below. This would be quite comfortable given that you could sleep and relax in comfort the whole way there and back (hopefully no aircraft swaps). The more I think about it, I really like the ease and idea of getting it done in just two days. Perfect for those that have to be in at work first thing Monday morning. At the end of the day, if you need to make status by December 31st, then the price ends up not mattering as much as its really about meeting that number after a year of effort working towards such a goal.

https://goo.gl/flights/ufwV
Attached Images  
Old Oct 20, 2016, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

I did this run in September and spent three nights in Quito, first two at the Sheraton (with SPG points+cash) and the last at the Hilton (points). Sheraton is a noticeably more pleasant hotel experience, esp. if you have Gold status and can enjoy the lounge on the top floors with excellent free breakfast and cocktails/snacks from 6-8pm. However the Hilton Colon (also with lounge) is in much better location as it is in the Mariscal area which has a much better street scene and walking distance from the historic Old City.

Very efficient bus and trolley system will get you anywhere in the city for 50 cents, and taxis run $2-8 max to just about any location. This city is worth exploring.....food is excellent, people are very friendly, lots to see.

My 7am return flight was delayed by 11 hours, but fortunately they called me the night before, and I got myself on a 3pm flight (coach, unfortunately) to MIA and then J from MIA-LAX getting me home the same day, skipping the JFK portion of the routing. AA compensated me with a small cash refund for the coach flight, and EQM's for the full UIO-MIA-JFK-LAX itinerary.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 6:35 pm

Programs: WP
Kinda expensive for the EQMs BUT to pull it off in 2 days is great because time spent on these trips also can hold a considerable price tag for most!

My next UIO trip takes about 6 days and I'm getting 27500 miles for $960. Granted its complicated and dragged out but I could have condensed it into 4 days. I just need time on the ground to make it enjoyable for me personally.

Your trip is $130 more and getting a total of 16544 EQMs and you are routing via DFW on the return (having all lie flats are great though).

If you were to go the following weekend, December 10-11, you could do the same lie flats LAX-MIA-UIO on the outbound and then also lie flats on the way back UIO-MIA-LAX. Its $120 cheaper at $971 and you'd get 16516 EQMs. IMO to route via DFW on the way back for an extra 28 miles plus spending $130 more, isnt worth the extra money and extra flight. But if you dont want to wait around in MIA after getting back from UIO and just want to get out of there then going via DFW would be the better option. Just keep in mind you'll have a better service given that the MIA-LAX is a nonstop transcon.

Heres the link plus a photo of the itinerary below. This would be quite comfortable given that you could sleep and relax in comfort the whole way there and back (hopefully no aircraft swaps). The more I think about it, I really like the ease and idea of getting it done in just two days. Perfect for those that have to be in at work first thing Monday morning. At the end of the day, if you need to make status by December 31st, then the price ends up not mattering as much as its really about meeting that number after a year of effort working towards such a goal.

https://goo.gl/flights/ufwV
Yea saw those flights for the following weekend is cheaper after posting. I've my time off work all planned out for the rest of the year and need to do weekends only run from now on. Plus, I have to position from FL to LAX.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 8:08 pm

has anyone done an immediate turn around to get on the 12:15 AM flight to DFW? the flight from MIA lands at 10:04 PM. i'm assuming i'd have to go through the customs and then go through security again? will 2 hours and 10 minutes be enough?
Old Oct 27, 2016, 9:51 am

Programs: AA EXP x 1.5, DL GM, JB, HH GLD
Originally Posted by shshsh
has anyone done an immediate turn around to get on the 12:15 AM flight to DFW? the flight from MIA lands at 10:04 PM. i'm assuming i'd have to go through the customs and then go through security again? will 2 hours and 10 minutes be enough?
From what others have reported previously in this thread, you don't even need to exit through customs and immigration, and you can stay on the air side of the terminal, and just board your outbound flight. If you are flying back out on the plane that you just came in on, you should be fine, as the plane is obviously there. The flight crew, who are likely the same people if it's just an aircraft turnaround, may be surprised to see you on the immediate return trip, but they know what an MR is.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 2:13 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA 1K, VA Platinum, HA Platinum, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Flyerhandle
From what others have reported previously in this thread, you don't even need to exit through customs and immigration, and you can stay on the air side of the terminal, and just board your outbound flight. If you are flying back out on the plane that you just came in on, you should be fine, as the plane is obviously there. The flight crew, who are likely the same people if it's just an aircraft turnaround, may be surprised to see you on the immediate return trip, but they know what an MR is.
I think you misread the post. The passenger is flying in from MIA and then wanting to fly to DFW two hours later. It will be two completely different aircraft as well. Personally, this is risky especially if the outbound flight from MIA is delayed and then you miss the connection in UIO. It also isnt as simple and quick as PTY where you get off the plane and then hop right back on at the same gate. If you have your boarding pass for the next flight, you have to follow the signs for "international passenger transit."

Originally Posted by shshsh
Old Oct 27, 2016, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP x 1.5, DL GM, JB, HH GLD
I think you misread the post. The passenger is flying in from MIA and then wanting to fly to DFW two hours later. It will be two completely different aircraft as well. Personally, this is risky especially if the outbound flight from MIA is delayed and then you miss the connection in UIO. It also isnt as simple and quick as PTY where you get off the plane and then hop right back on at the same gate. If you have your boarding pass for the next flight, you have to follow the signs for "international passenger transit."
I guess I missed that part. Banking on everything being on time coming in from Miami is risky at best. He can still stay air side and avoid customs and immigration, but there is the risk of missing the outbound flight. If it's part of his single RT ticket, then AA should be responsible with dealing with any delays that they may cause. Worst case scenario would probably be the morning flight out the next day.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 3:04 pm

I hope there's a better setup for international transfers in UIO than in PUJ... http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...l-sea-puj.html
Old Oct 27, 2016, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by Flyerhandle
I guess I missed that part. Banking on everything being on time coming in from Miami is risky at best. He can still stay air side and avoid customs and immigration, but there is the risk of missing the outbound flight. If it's part of his single RT ticket, then AA should be responsible with dealing with any delays that they may cause. Worst case scenario would probably be the morning flight out the next day.
As far as I know, theres only one flight back to DFW that leaves around midnight. So if the passenger missed the flight, then the next available flight would be 24 hours later or the passenger would have to fly back via MIA. Also going from a shorter lie flat 767 to a long 6 hour recliner seat A319 after only two hours connection won't be very comfortable either. Unfortunately, the longer leg of UIO-DFW isn't operated by a 767. There was a line taking 20 minutes the last time I had to queue up at the international transit in UIO for a flight to LIM. That could make or break a connection too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.