Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

AA: LAX-MIA-UIO RT Biz $858: 8256 flown miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 28, 2016, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wanderlust4life
LAX-JFK TRANSCONTINENTAL FLIGHTS:
Recent fare rule inclusions now prevent any routing via JFK on the non-stop transcontinental A321T aircraft. Any future booking will demand a significantly higher fare to route on the non-stops via JFK. Unless the fare rules are modified and these clauses are removed (highly doubtful), the ability to fly on the transcons via JFK is a thing of the past.
IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL BETWEEN LAX AND NYC
THEN THAT TRAVEL MUST BE ON
ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY AA
BUT NOT ON AIRBUS INDUSTRIE A321 (SHARKLETS) AIRCRAFT.
AND
IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL BETWEEN SFO AND NYC
THEN THAT TRAVEL MUST BE ON
ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY AA
BUT NOT ON AIRBUS INDUSTRIE A321 (SHARKLETS) AIRCRAFT.
LOUNGE ACCESS:
LAX AIRPORT

= When trying to gain oneworld J / QF F access based on status, it is simply departing/connecting/arriving at any point on same ticket to and from an eligible international destination. UIO is eligible and not excluded regardless of length.

= When trying to gain oneworld J / QF F access based on class of service disregarding status, it is the international long haul clause that applies. Therefore, no "oneworld/QF lounge" access for non-elites for trips to and from UIO unless booking transcons since UIO is under 5 hours. BUT AA doesn't enforce this in their own lounges so Admirals Club access is expected.

AA GOLDs(RUBYs)/NON-ELITES
Admirals Club access is granted regardless of routing as AA does not enforce international long haul rule. However, the oneworld J lounge does for Golds(rubys)/non-elites as they are aware the UIO flights are under 5 hours. Booking transcon flights in J/F gains access to the OWJ/QFF lounges.
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in F = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J lounge + QF F Lounge LAX>
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in J = Admirals + LAX oneworld J lounge>
<Non-Transcon F (2-class) + UIO = Technically NONE (UIO under 5 hours therefore class of service rule applies) BUT AA still opens Admirals Club doors to all customers because they dont enforce the long-haul rule>

AA PLATINUMs
Platinums gain access to all AC/Business lounges regardless of routing due to flying to and from UIO. They gain access to First/Flagship lounges when traveling in F 3-class transcon
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in F = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J lounge + QF F Lounge LAX>
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in J = Admirals + LAX oneworld J lounge>
<Non-Transcon F (2-class) + UIO = Admirals + LAX oneworld J>

AA EXPs
EXPs have access to all lounges at all airports regardless of routing so long as they are traveling to and from UIO on the same itinerary (an international destination neither excluded from AA's list of ineligible regions nor limited by the flight length rule)
<EXPs Transcon F (2-class) + UIO = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs Non-Transcon F (2-class) + UIO = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs on Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA + UIO) in Y = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs on Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA + UIO) in J = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs on Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA + UIO) in F = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>

NON-AA ONEWORLD ELITES
All sapphires and emeralds have some form of lounge access on any flight systemwide
<non-AA sapphires on ALL AA FLIGHTS = Admirals Club + oneworld J lounge LAX>
<non-AA emeralds on ALL AA FLIGHTS = Admirals Club + oneworld J lounge LAX + Flagship Lounge + QF F lounge LAX>

OTHER AIRPORTS

SFO - Admiral's Club (Centurion Lounge for a fee)
JFK - Admirals Club & Flagship Lounge for EXP/First 3-class/Emerald
MIA - Admiral's Club (Centurion Lounge for a fee), Oneworld Premium Lounge for EXP/First 3-Class/Emerald
UIO - No lounge access (Priority Pass lounge available)
YVR - No lounge access (PP for a fee)
DFW - Admiral's Club (with F/C Dining for EXP/Emerald) (Centurion Lounge for a fee)
Print Wikipost

AA: LAX-MIA-UIO RT Biz $858: 8256 flown miles

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2016, 3:04 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by cruisin5268d
I'm jealous! 787 is high on my list of aircraft to experience but when routing through NYC for extra EQM I didn't see any options with a 787.

I'm looking at doing this trip a second time (first leaves 9/19) and might just go for the 787/ORD routing.
Watch out for schedule changes! I was flying this exact routing in November and they changed my LAX-ORD and ORD-MIA segments from a 788 and retrofitted 772 to 757's (and not even angled-flats...). Not to mention the MIA-UIO flights are now being operated mostly by 757's as well for most of the month of November...
Old Aug 24, 2016, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by AAmerican
Watch out for schedule changes! I was flying this exact routing in November and they changed my LAX-ORD and ORD-MIA segments from a 788 and retrofitted 772 to 757's (and not even angled-flats...). Not to mention the MIA-UIO flights are now being operated mostly by 757's as well for most of the month of November...

My first UIO run got all messed up and now two of the flights are on 757s - its supposed to be the upgraded international version so we shall see.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ
Just booked my trip

$838 routing LAX-ORD-MIA-UIO-MIA-ORD-LAX for a smidgen under 19k eqm

I even get to fly a 787 back to LA, will actually be my first time on a 787

Looking forward to walking on the equator
Dates?
Old Aug 24, 2016, 11:07 am

Programs: AAdvantage
My first UIO run got all messed up and now two of the flights are on 757s - its supposed to be the upgraded international version so we shall see.
I sure hope so as well but am somewhat doubtful given AA's transatlantic joint venture with BA and other OW airlines. It seems they would have more incentive to put the upgraded 757's on those routes (where they presumably have to pay a penalty if they do not fly all lie flat seats by the end of the year) rather than letting one retrofitted 757/767 sit overnight at Quito like they do now.

But I do hope you're right.

Last edited by AAmerican; Aug 24, 2016 at 11:07 am Reason: Grammar
Old Aug 24, 2016, 11:31 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by alvarez16
Dates?

Leaving Friday 9/2 LAX-ORD then 9/3 ORD-MIA-UIO. Will return 9/5 UIO-MIA-ORD-LAX

Currently my schedule has me on a A320, 737, 757, 767, 757, 787

Fingers crossed they don't change the 767 or 787
Old Aug 24, 2016, 1:29 pm

Leaving Friday 9/2 LAX-ORD then 9/3 ORD-MIA-UIO. Will return 9/5 UIO-MIA-ORD-LAX

Nice - 5 different aircraft models. Shame they aren't all lie flats though.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 1:31 pm

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by wanderlust4life
I was going to do a quick layover as well but decided to give myself two nights as Ill be arriving late at night too and staying in the city at the JW with late checkout and then at a mini hotel near the airport just to sleep before the AM flight. Ill need enough rest before flying UIO-MIA-JFK-LAX especially if the UIO-MIA-UIO legs are on last minute angle flat 767s which seems to be the trend.
The JW is in a good location plus they will arrange for the hop on/hop off bus to stop nearby for you, which is a fast way to see the city. I was in the JW during the earthquake and while there was damage, learned that it's one of the safest buildings in the country during a quake. Also would recommend heading up to mitad del mundo if you have time.

Did you contact the JW and ask about hourly rates/very late checkout? When I checked in I overheard someone asking about it, and said it would depend on occupancy. Would be easier than having to switch hotels to stay out near the airport, if it's reasonable. Just a thought.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 2:21 pm

Nice - 5 different aircraft models. Shame they aren't all lie flats though.
Can't really complain for the price
Old Aug 24, 2016, 6:20 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA 1K, VA Platinum, HA Platinum, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
The JW is in a good location plus they will arrange for the hop on/hop off bus to stop nearby for you, which is a fast way to see the city. I was in the JW during the earthquake and while there was damage, learned that it's one of the safest buildings in the country during a quake. Also would recommend heading up to mitad del mundo if you have time.

Did you contact the JW and ask about hourly rates/very late checkout? When I checked in I overheard someone asking about it, and said it would depend on occupancy. Would be easier than having to switch hotels to stay out near the airport, if it's reasonable. Just a thought.
Thanks for the tips! The hotel said it normally depends on how full it is on check out day but regardless I went ahead and emailed the front office manager directly. I got a confirmed 4pm check out. Im planning to head out to the airport area hotel after dinner and getting some sleep and thats it. That way I don't have to wake up as early and can be at the airport within 10 minutes. I know people have gone to airport real late the night before and stayed in the priority pass lounge until the 7am flight where theres loungers to nap on and shower, but with the 3 hour maximum rule that may or may not be enforced and all loungers occupied etc, I just can't risk it.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

I finally pushed the button on this trip, having started this thread back in January. Leaving LAX on the red-eye to JFK on Sept. 22, returning to LAX on the 27th. This will put me at about 85k EQM, and I need to find something to send me over the top before year's end. I've already done the PTY RT. Thoughts, anyone?
Old Sep 4, 2016, 7:19 pm

Currently in Quito on this run for the long weekend. Just had a pretty strong earthquake, 4.5 I believe they said. Hopefully anyone on this trip is safe and sound. if anyone hears of any airport disruptions please post.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 8:00 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA 1K, VA Platinum, HA Platinum, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold

Please update as to whether the 767 you fly tomorrow is lie flat or old configuration. You lucked out with having the 787 not changed on tomorrows flight.

I was booked on the 787 6:20 pm flight for a trip in October and they changed all days to the 5:05pm flight instead and put me on a 737. I called and complained and they switched me to the earlier one. Now I only have a 50 minute connection in ORD so fingers crossed I make the connection or its the later flight on the 737 indeed.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by joetraveler99
I finally pushed the button on this trip, having started this thread back in January. Leaving LAX on the red-eye to JFK on Sept. 22, returning to LAX on the 27th. This will put me at about 85k EQM, and I need to find something to send me over the top before year's end. I've already done the PTY RT. Thoughts, anyone?

I return to LAX the morning of the 22nd from doing this run and have been thinking about doing a back-to-back run but haven't found a reasonable price.

What's your itinerary and cost?
Old Sep 4, 2016, 9:03 pm

No airport disruptions that I know of. Was walking into the Hilton when it hit and am at airport now and no delays on DL flight out.

Currently in Quito on this run for the long weekend. Just had a pretty strong earthquake, 4.5 I believe they said. Hopefully anyone on this trip is safe and sound. if anyone hears of any airport disruptions please post.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

I return to LAX the morning of the 22nd from doing this run and have been thinking about doing a back-to-back run but haven't found a reasonable price.

What's your itinerary and cost?
LAX-JFK-MIA-UIO-MIA-JFK-LAX. $836, but I think it's gone up now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.