Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

AA: LAX-MIA-UIO RT Biz $858: 8256 flown miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 28, 2016, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wanderlust4life
LAX-JFK TRANSCONTINENTAL FLIGHTS:
Recent fare rule inclusions now prevent any routing via JFK on the non-stop transcontinental A321T aircraft. Any future booking will demand a significantly higher fare to route on the non-stops via JFK. Unless the fare rules are modified and these clauses are removed (highly doubtful), the ability to fly on the transcons via JFK is a thing of the past.
IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL BETWEEN LAX AND NYC
THEN THAT TRAVEL MUST BE ON
ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY AA
BUT NOT ON AIRBUS INDUSTRIE A321 (SHARKLETS) AIRCRAFT.
AND
IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL BETWEEN SFO AND NYC
THEN THAT TRAVEL MUST BE ON
ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY AA
BUT NOT ON AIRBUS INDUSTRIE A321 (SHARKLETS) AIRCRAFT.
LOUNGE ACCESS:
LAX AIRPORT

= When trying to gain oneworld J / QF F access based on status, it is simply departing/connecting/arriving at any point on same ticket to and from an eligible international destination. UIO is eligible and not excluded regardless of length.

= When trying to gain oneworld J / QF F access based on class of service disregarding status, it is the international long haul clause that applies. Therefore, no "oneworld/QF lounge" access for non-elites for trips to and from UIO unless booking transcons since UIO is under 5 hours. BUT AA doesn't enforce this in their own lounges so Admirals Club access is expected.

AA GOLDs(RUBYs)/NON-ELITES
Admirals Club access is granted regardless of routing as AA does not enforce international long haul rule. However, the oneworld J lounge does for Golds(rubys)/non-elites as they are aware the UIO flights are under 5 hours. Booking transcon flights in J/F gains access to the OWJ/QFF lounges.
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in F = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J lounge + QF F Lounge LAX>
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in J = Admirals + LAX oneworld J lounge>
<Non-Transcon F (2-class) + UIO = Technically NONE (UIO under 5 hours therefore class of service rule applies) BUT AA still opens Admirals Club doors to all customers because they dont enforce the long-haul rule>

AA PLATINUMs
Platinums gain access to all AC/Business lounges regardless of routing due to flying to and from UIO. They gain access to First/Flagship lounges when traveling in F 3-class transcon
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in F = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J lounge + QF F Lounge LAX>
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in J = Admirals + LAX oneworld J lounge>
<Non-Transcon F (2-class) + UIO = Admirals + LAX oneworld J>

AA EXPs
EXPs have access to all lounges at all airports regardless of routing so long as they are traveling to and from UIO on the same itinerary (an international destination neither excluded from AA's list of ineligible regions nor limited by the flight length rule)
<EXPs Transcon F (2-class) + UIO = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs Non-Transcon F (2-class) + UIO = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs on Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA + UIO) in Y = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs on Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA + UIO) in J = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs on Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA + UIO) in F = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>

NON-AA ONEWORLD ELITES
All sapphires and emeralds have some form of lounge access on any flight systemwide
<non-AA sapphires on ALL AA FLIGHTS = Admirals Club + oneworld J lounge LAX>
<non-AA emeralds on ALL AA FLIGHTS = Admirals Club + oneworld J lounge LAX + Flagship Lounge + QF F lounge LAX>

OTHER AIRPORTS

SFO - Admiral's Club (Centurion Lounge for a fee)
JFK - Admirals Club & Flagship Lounge for EXP/First 3-class/Emerald
MIA - Admiral's Club (Centurion Lounge for a fee), Oneworld Premium Lounge for EXP/First 3-Class/Emerald
UIO - No lounge access (Priority Pass lounge available)
YVR - No lounge access (PP for a fee)
DFW - Admiral's Club (with F/C Dining for EXP/Emerald) (Centurion Lounge for a fee)
Print Wikipost

AA: LAX-MIA-UIO RT Biz $858: 8256 flown miles

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2016, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by rqd
Using Google Flights for this itinerary should only require 4 legs: LAX-JFK, JFK-UIU, UIO-JFK, JFK-LAX

I would use the AA number if this is a status run, but the BA experts will weigh in on how it would impact BA status.

You should have access to the LAX AC since you're flying in business class. Oneworld in TBIT may require Platinum status or better. If you're not Plat, consider an AA Plat challenge as you'd qualify after this run. You should also have access in MIA.
I'm not sure why but the thought never occurred to me to route from JFK to UIO *facepalm." Appreciate the tips; I'll use the AA as I do not have status with BA; just miles.

This is a fantastic run and I'm a bit amazed how cheaply and easily one can achieve Platinum. While I have little interest in a night in Ecuador that's a small price to pay me thinks. I live in Austin so, unfortunately, Business flights to LAX are running me $600+ which is silly compared to the total cost of this entire run.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
Welcome to FT.

Your lounge access will depend on your AA or BA status, and what class your flights will be in. I'm guessing "none" on the status. MIA-UIO is apparently under the 5 hours needed for Business or First to help you there. B or F on LAX-JFK would get you access, and the rules don't say you're limited to those two, so MIA might then be available as well.

Best place to get answers on these questions would be the Lounge Access thread.
Thanks for the response - you guessed correctly on no BA status. I'll start lurking on the Lounge thread.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 11:49 am

Programs: BAEC, AAdvantage, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by cruisin5268d
I have a few questions as this is a bit new to me.

When booking on AA's website, should I list the Program as AAdvantage or BA (as I collect miles via BA Chase card)? I haven't flown AA or BA in many years.

Lounge Access: As I read the AA website I'd have access to the Admirals Club in NYC after the LAX-JFK leg (is access allowed in LAX as well?) but I'm not clear about Miami due to the exclusions and flight length rules.

I cannot seem to make the JFK-LAX leg work without the price increasing to ~$1,500 when using the AA website and, of course, Google Flights only allows 5 legs. When pricing that leg separately it runs $400+
If it is an option, I'd use the MIA Centurion lounge over the Admirals club. Far better food, and much more pleasant experience (unless it is overcrowded).
Old Aug 17, 2016, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by chintanshah123
If it is an option, I'd use the MIA Centurion lounge over the Admirals club. Far better food, and much more pleasant experience (unless it is overcrowded).

My AmEx is *not* on the eligible list without purchasing a daily pass so probably not worth it for me. Later in the year I might be ready to add a new card to my wallet - thinking about United or now AmEx. Thanks for the tip!

Last edited by cruisin5268d; Aug 18, 2016 at 3:02 pm
Old Aug 22, 2016, 7:24 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA 1K, VA Platinum, HA Platinum, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
For those that have done this run, what was your departure experience at UIO?

Im planning to fly out in Business on the 7am 767 flight to MIA and haven't flown out of this airport before. Im wondering how hectic this time of day is and how much it usually takes to get through security and immigration etc. I will only be traveling with carryon luggage, but I also don't know how crazy the check in will be either since Ill need to get a boarding pass. Im thinking I should arrive at 5am so that means leaving at like 4am if I stay in the city. Not fun but I don't want to fly the 757 just to be able to sleep in.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:02 pm

Programs: WP
Originally Posted by wanderlust4life
For those that have done this run, what was your departure experience at UIO?

Im planning to fly out in Business on the 7am 767 flight to MIA and haven't flown out of this airport before. Im wondering how hectic this time of day is and how much it usually takes to get through security and immigration etc. I will only be traveling with carryon luggage, but I also don't know how crazy the check in will be either since Ill need to get a boarding pass. Im thinking I should arrive at 5am so that means leaving at like 4am if I stay in the city. Not fun but I don't want to fly the 757 just to be able to sleep in.
When are you flying? Ill be on AA932 on Sept25th
Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:29 pm

Programs: American Airlines
Anyway to pull this off using BOS as a starting point. I have to be in PTY Sep 15th anyway.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 9:20 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA 1K, VA Platinum, HA Platinum, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by island82
Im on same flight, but on October 4th! Will you please post your departure experience?
Old Aug 22, 2016, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SFBOST
Anyway to pull this off using BOS as a starting point. I have to be in PTY Sep 15th anyway.
Welcome to FT SFBOST ^

No way, as far as I know, to route this to/ from BOS. Why not position out to LAX and do to RT turns than head back to BOS? Get it done in one week and avoid positioning twice. For positioning you may want to look at BOS-SAN on AS and taking the train up to LA from here - may save you a few bucks.

Good luck!
Old Aug 22, 2016, 9:46 pm

Programs: WP
Originally Posted by wanderlust4life
Im on same flight, but on October 4th! Will you please post your departure experience?
Will do. Haven't decided where I am staying yet, I get in the night before around 2100hrs, so most likely will do hotel close by the airport
Old Aug 22, 2016, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k, DL Platinum, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by island82
I'll be on your flight. PM me and we'll link up.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 10:36 pm

I'm doing LAX-JFK-MIA-UIO-MIA-JKF-LAX starting on 9/18 with two nights in Quito. First mileage run - and this just happens to be about the best one I've seen.

I've also noticed it's possible to do this run back to back the following week...I'm seriously considering doing so. I don't' have unlimited funds but if I can make it to Executive Platinum that might be nice as in 2017 I'm planning to do a lot of travel on AA and BA.

Side note, if I can't quite hit Exec Plat by Dec 31st (say only 70,000 EQM) does everything reset on January first or is there a grace period in which I could get the remaining 30,000 EQM to get to Exec Plat? If that is allowed would I also have to get the full EQD that takes effect in 2017?
Old Aug 22, 2016, 10:52 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
I'm doing LAX-JFK-MIA-UIO-MIA-JKF-LAX starting on 9/18 with two nights in Quito. First mileage run - and this just happens to be about the best one I've seen.

I've also noticed it's possible to do this run back to back the following week...I'm seriously considering doing so. I don't' have unlimited funds but if I can make it to Executive Platinum that might be nice as in 2017 I'm planning to do a lot of travel on AA and BA.

Side note, if I can't quite hit Exec Plat by Dec 31st (say only 70,000 EQM) does everything reset on January first or is there a grace period in which I could get the remaining 30,000 EQM to get to Exec Plat? If that is allowed would I also have to get the full EQD that takes effect in 2017?
Sorry, no grace period.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 11:12 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, ex-AA EXP, ex-UA 1K
I live in Austin so, unfortunately, Business flights to LAX are running me $600+ which is silly compared to the total cost of this entire run.
I live there, too! Just FYI, the cheapest flight option to the area -- barring some sort of fare sale -- is AUS-LGB on jetBlue, which is usually around $200. On the down side, it's a *colossal* pain in the arse to travel between LGB and LAX. If you go this route, I'd strongly suggest finding a rental-car company that allows you to return the vehicle at a different area airport without the per-mile surcharge so many agencies charge.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 11:26 pm

Programs: AA,DL
I'm not sure why but the thought never occurred to me to route from JFK to UIO *facepalm." Appreciate the tips; I'll use the AA as I do not have status with BA; just miles.

This is a fantastic run and I'm a bit amazed how cheaply and easily one can achieve Platinum. While I have little interest in a night in Ecuador that's a small price to pay me thinks. I live in Austin so, unfortunately, Business flights to LAX are running me $600+ which is silly compared to the total cost of this entire run.

Yes it is. A great first time run for newbie's and a great place to visit. I like the all wide body part. I will be doing this again in OCT. I've done Panama a Few times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.