Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

AA: LAX-MIA-UIO RT Biz $858: 8256 flown miles

Old Sep 28, 2016, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wanderlust4life
LAX-JFK TRANSCONTINENTAL FLIGHTS:
Recent fare rule inclusions now prevent any routing via JFK on the non-stop transcontinental A321T aircraft. Any future booking will demand a significantly higher fare to route on the non-stops via JFK. Unless the fare rules are modified and these clauses are removed (highly doubtful), the ability to fly on the transcons via JFK is a thing of the past.
IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL BETWEEN LAX AND NYC
THEN THAT TRAVEL MUST BE ON
ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY AA
BUT NOT ON AIRBUS INDUSTRIE A321 (SHARKLETS) AIRCRAFT.
AND
IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL BETWEEN SFO AND NYC
THEN THAT TRAVEL MUST BE ON
ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY AA
BUT NOT ON AIRBUS INDUSTRIE A321 (SHARKLETS) AIRCRAFT.
LOUNGE ACCESS:
LAX AIRPORT

= When trying to gain oneworld J / QF F access based on status, it is simply departing/connecting/arriving at any point on same ticket to and from an eligible international destination. UIO is eligible and not excluded regardless of length.

= When trying to gain oneworld J / QF F access based on class of service disregarding status, it is the international long haul clause that applies. Therefore, no "oneworld/QF lounge" access for non-elites for trips to and from UIO unless booking transcons since UIO is under 5 hours. BUT AA doesn't enforce this in their own lounges so Admirals Club access is expected.

AA GOLDs(RUBYs)/NON-ELITES
Admirals Club access is granted regardless of routing as AA does not enforce international long haul rule. However, the oneworld J lounge does for Golds(rubys)/non-elites as they are aware the UIO flights are under 5 hours. Booking transcon flights in J/F gains access to the OWJ/QFF lounges.
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in F = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J lounge + QF F Lounge LAX>
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in J = Admirals + LAX oneworld J lounge>
<Non-Transcon F (2-class) + UIO = Technically NONE (UIO under 5 hours therefore class of service rule applies) BUT AA still opens Admirals Club doors to all customers because they dont enforce the long-haul rule>

AA PLATINUMs
Platinums gain access to all AC/Business lounges regardless of routing due to flying to and from UIO. They gain access to First/Flagship lounges when traveling in F 3-class transcon
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in F = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J lounge + QF F Lounge LAX>
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in J = Admirals + LAX oneworld J lounge>
<Non-Transcon F (2-class) + UIO = Admirals + LAX oneworld J>

AA EXPs
EXPs have access to all lounges at all airports regardless of routing so long as they are traveling to and from UIO on the same itinerary (an international destination neither excluded from AA's list of ineligible regions nor limited by the flight length rule)
<EXPs Transcon F (2-class) + UIO = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs Non-Transcon F (2-class) + UIO = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs on Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA + UIO) in Y = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs on Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA + UIO) in J = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs on Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA + UIO) in F = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>

NON-AA ONEWORLD ELITES
All sapphires and emeralds have some form of lounge access on any flight systemwide
<non-AA sapphires on ALL AA FLIGHTS = Admirals Club + oneworld J lounge LAX>
<non-AA emeralds on ALL AA FLIGHTS = Admirals Club + oneworld J lounge LAX + Flagship Lounge + QF F lounge LAX>

OTHER AIRPORTS

SFO - Admiral's Club (Centurion Lounge for a fee)
JFK - Admirals Club & Flagship Lounge for EXP/First 3-class/Emerald
MIA - Admiral's Club (Centurion Lounge for a fee), Oneworld Premium Lounge for EXP/First 3-Class/Emerald
UIO - No lounge access (Priority Pass lounge available)
YVR - No lounge access (PP for a fee)
DFW - Admiral's Club (with F/C Dining for EXP/Emerald) (Centurion Lounge for a fee)
Print Wikipost

AA: LAX-MIA-UIO RT Biz $858: 8256 flown miles

Old Sep 27, 2016, 9:38 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA 1K, VA Platinum, HA Platinum, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by joetraveler99
Thank you all for the tips. Not sure what ' flying in vain' means, though. Yes, I 'volunteered' to be downgraded to Y to get out of UIO today and get home to LAX at approximately the same time as my original flight through JFK. But had I stayed and waited for the next J flight and kept the original routing, then I would've had to spend a miserable night in Miami either in a hotel (who pays?) or on the floor of the AC, and arrived home the next day. Not a pleasant scenario. Sounds like I'll have chase down any residual refunds, ORC, or possible vouchers once I get back.
Exactly! But you should always keep situations like this one in mind especially when playing the mileage run game. You would have gotten home "eventually" but it could take days!! And they would have provided hotel accommodation if it was sufficient enough meaning you could still sit in an airport all day somewhere as well. The same goes for when you miss a connection due to IRROPS and get routed on a more direct convenient routing and then you get to claim ORC and it works out to be beneficial!! You just never know until the situation arises.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 10:15 am

I'm now in UIO and my 7am return flight to MIA this morning has bee delayed by 9 hrs, which obviously messes up all my connections MIA-JFK and JFK-LAX. Fortunately I'm still at the hotel in town, and I've managed to rebook onto at 2:13 PM flight today to Miami, in coach (!) and then a 7pm flight direct to LAX in standard recliner First. Bummer. Agent couldn't do anything for me in terms of downgrade flight credits (take it up with business office after flying is complete) or preserving the ORC. So as I was hopefully closing in on EXP, I unfortunately may instead wind up with fewer EQMs, and also a modest 'residual' refund for a downgrade to coach for the first leg. Anyone have any thoughts or strategies to help me deal with airline on this one?
Sounds like we were on the same flights. Luckily, I was up at the ungodly hour when the delays for the 7am flight were posted and was able to call in to get booked in business on the 2pm flight before they filled up. Once my miles post I was planning on submitting a request for ORC and suggest you do the same.

Oh, and that 7am flight finally took off...at 11pm. So be happy you weren't sitting around at the airport for 16 hours! :P
Old Sep 27, 2016, 12:36 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA 1K, VA Platinum, HA Platinum, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by thekevstir
Sounds like we were on the same flights. Luckily, I was up at the ungodly hour when the delays for the 7am flight were posted and was able to call in to get booked in business on the 2pm flight before they filled up. Once my miles post I was planning on submitting a request for ORC and suggest you do the same.

Oh, and that 7am flight finally took off...at 11pm. So be happy you weren't sitting around at the airport for 16 hours! :P
Just remember though that because he "volunteered" to downgrade, ORC isn't a guarantee and many agents will not want to grant the request. That's when you HUCA until you get both original routing credit and double EQMs
Old Sep 27, 2016, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by wanderlust4life
Just remember though that because he "volunteered" to downgrade, ORC isn't a guarantee and many agents will not want to grant the request. That's when you HUCA until you get both original routing credit and double EQMs
From my experiences I've found that AA is very accommodating to mileage and partial refund requests when the "voluntary" change is due to AA's fault (i.e. mechanical issue), as it was in this instance.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 10:58 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Is this still valid? If so, any avail after xmas to get down there?
Old Sep 28, 2016, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by island82
9hrs delay? That's rough. Myself and 2 other FTs completed this run over the weekend, no delays just equipment changes.
Not sure where your home base is, perhaps call in again once you're in MIA and do a trip in vain to get original routing credit, and book a flight home from MIA. I dont believe AA's trip in vain can do both ORC and refund. I may be wrong.
Lot's of equipment changes on the run this past weekend.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 2:32 pm

Programs: WP
Originally Posted by azlawyer
Lot's of equipment changes on the run this past weekend.
Indeed! I think the best change was the last leg!
Old Sep 28, 2016, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wanderlust4life
I was fortunate to get a good agent on the first call, who applied the original routing miles (UIO-JFK-LAX) to my account instantly! He was not authorized to issue a voucher or refund for the coach downgrade, but did forward me the info for the department that does. I should be happy to accept a few hundred dollars for this inconvenience, as my experience in the economy exit row seat for the UIO-MIA flight was not that different than it was on the MIA-LAX in a First Class recliner. They try harder to please on the international flights.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 5:46 pm

I was fortunate to get a good agent on the first call, who applied the original routing miles (UIO-JFK-LAX) to my account instantly! He was not authorized to issue a voucher or refund for the coach downgrade, but did forward me the info for the department that does. I should be happy to accept a few hundred dollars for this inconvenience, as my experience in the economy exit row seat for the UIO-MIA flight was not that different than it was on the MIA-LAX in a First Class recliner. They try harder to please on the international flights.
Thats great to hear it went well. Now definitely go and file a complaint with the customer relations department and you most likely will get miles and/or travel voucher for the inconvenience!
Old Oct 5, 2016, 9:47 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I am thinking of booking one or two of these in early 2017 but can't find any routing via NYC. Are they still alive, or just that hard to find? I see the fare rules changed to forbid the A321T route(s), so I am trying to connect into NYC and still come up short.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 11:39 am

Programs: WP
Originally Posted by Madone59
I am thinking of booking one or two of these in early 2017 but can't find any routing via NYC. Are they still alive, or just that hard to find? I see the fare rules changed to forbid the A321T route(s), so I am trying to connect into NYC and still come up short.

Any help would be appreciated.
Routing via NYC is getting hard to find if any. If you route through MIA on the 77W it is still possible for around USD960+ but it requires an overnight in MIA on the outbound.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by island82
Routing via NYC is getting hard to find if any. If you route through MIA on the 77W it is still possible for around USD960+ but it requires an overnight in MIA on the outbound.
Thanks for that. I'd rather the extra miles and route via SFO, ORD, or IAD. I've got this down to 6.4cpm crediting to AS.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 10:19 am

AA: LAX-UIO r/t, 17382 EQM, $954 in A/I

Routing: LAX-MIA-UIO-MIA-CLT-LAX
Class: First
Sample dates: Dec 5-6
Price: $953.98 5.49 cpm
https://www.google.com/flights/?f=0#...=ONEWORLD;eo=e
Old Oct 8, 2016, 10:33 am

Any chance of getting it to route LAX-JFK-MIA-UIO?

I tried but was not successful.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by slice
Any chance of getting it to route LAX-JFK-MIA-UIO?
I tried but was not successful.
When routing through JFK using ITA, the price in Business nearly doubles and first is even worse.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.