Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA: Reduced J Prices to Europe when purchasing via AA Vacations

Old Feb 19, 2016, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SpammersAreScum
AA Vacations / aavacations.com Flight and Ground Packages

Trust American Airlines to offer you the perfect package at the best price, guaranteed! When you choose to bundle your travel components into one package price we can offer you an unbeatable value by combining our unpublished low rates on flights with specially negotiated rates on hotels, activities and transportation. So, whether you're looking for a quick flight plus hotel weekend getaway or an all-inclusive package complete with flight, hotel, ground transportation and tickets to local attractions, you can rest easy knowing the entire trip is covered by our Lowest Price Guarantee.
Link to AA Vacations site website

FAQ

Q. Do these earn AA EQM and Award Miles (RDM)? Will they earn EQD (EQ Dollars) in 2017?

These generally book into discount paid fare buckets, so "Yes" at this time. There are a few promotional offers that do not earn EQM; these will clearly say so, so read thoroughly. See:

Special fares: Earning Award Miles and Elite Qualifying Credits on aa.com

and

Earning AA Elite Qualifying Miles / EQM on AA, oneworld, partners 2016

and this for the changes affecting Award Miles coming in the latter part of 2016.

Earning AA Award / Redeemable Miles / RDM on AA, partners later 2016

Q. Can I upgrade these with AA upgrade instruments (e500 "stickers", miles and copay, SWU)?

Currently, yes. These would follow the standard AA upgrade rules.

Q. Can I use AAdvantage Award Miles to "pay" for a vacation?

Yes. You can "pay" with money (cards, etc.), AAdvantage miles or a combination of both.

Q. So, what kinds of fares are ineligible for earning AA miles?

Certain airline tickets are not eligible for earning mileage credit. These include, without limitation, the following: all tickets issued as AAdvantage awards or other free ticket promotions including free or reduced rate tickets; companion tickets; charter flight tickets; travel agency/industry reduced rate tickets; infant tickets; items occupying a purchased seat; unpublished fare tickets, including consolidator fares, tickets issued as a result of a fare published inadvertently or by mistake and tickets issued subject to special provisions.

Link to AAdvantage Terms and Conditions
Exceptions (aa.com)

There are certain airline ticket types that are not eligible for mileage accrual regardless of the booking class. These include, without limitation, the following:

Q Are there any types of tickets that won’t earn award miles?

Yes, tickets that currently do not earn award miles, elite-qualifying miles or elite-qualifying segments will not earn award miles in the future. This includes:

• All tickets issued as AAdvantage awards

• Other free ticket promotions including free or reduced rate tickets

• Companion tickets

• Charter flight tickets

• Travel agency/industry reduced rate tickets

• Infant tickets

• Extra seats or items occupying a purchased seat

• Unpublished fare tickets, including consolidator fares

• Tickets issued subject to special provisions
Q. What about EQM and Award ("Redeemable") Miles earning later in 2016?

AA has specified a set of "Special Fares", which includes AA Vacations:

Some fares (such as bulk or consolidator fares) earn award miles and Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) at a modified rate based on a percentage of the distance flown as determined by the booking code.

Special fares are often purchased through a specialized agent, third party or as part of a package including air transportation and lodging.

Examples:
  • Bulk fares

• Cruise fares

• Consolidator fares

• Discounted or inclusive tour packages

• Vacation packages, including American Airlines Vacations® (AAV) packages

• Other tickets where the fare isn't disclosed, excluding bookings made through priceline.com or hotwire.com where the carrier isn't disclosed before buying
Note that the Special Fares page also says, "AAdvantage elite member bonuses will be applied in addition to the percentages shown for award miles."

Q. What fare classes do First and Business packages book into?

Typically A for international First, A or P domestic F, and I or D international Business.

Q. What if I'm flying on a flight on a partner airline?

AA Vacations most often books into AA "code shares" / AA marketed flights. In that case, you'll earn miles as if flying on American. If it doesn't, you'll earn per the agreement AA has with the partner airline. Start here to look them up.

Q. What advance purchase restrictions are imposed?

Most advance purchase, minimum stay, etc. normally imposed by the airline don't apply; the restrictions are those imposed by AA Vacations. (Detailed Fare Rules for your fare generally do apply, however.)

Q. Are the trips or fares refundable?

Generally not fully refundable. Hotels and ground activities are generally not at all, and air will depend on the fare bucket and detailed rules. AA vacations does offer protection, but hotels etc. may not be included.

"There are two types of protection available: We offer the Cancellation and Change Waiver (Pre-Departure Protection) which allows you to cancel and/or change either the land or air portion of their package without penalty. Trip Protector (Post-Departure protection) from Allianz Global Assistance can provide protection for your trip expenses, your health and your belongings."

A waiver is usually $129.

Q. What is the shortest time I can book an air-hotel package for?

It appears three nights is the shortest period allowed by aavacations.

Q. Can I book a ten day package with only three days of prepaid hotel?

Sure. You'll have to call to do so, however.

Q. Is only one hotel offered?

No. A variety of properties is generally offered, but this will of course affect pricing.

Q. Does the hotel have to be in the destination city?

No. You can book a property in another city if it's offered by AA Vacations.

Q. What happens if I don't use the ground part (hotel, car, etc.)? Will they cancel my return flights?

Nothing. You can use it or forget it. No flight cancellations ensue. See AA Vacations - not checking in at Hotel Some purposely book the cheapest pricing for their trip knowing they're choosing a "throwaway hotel" they won't use.

Though one AA Vacations agent actually said "always book with us and just book the cheapest hotel for 3 days and throw it away", don't you say it's your intent.

Q. Will AA Vacations cause problems for me?

If you disclose your intent to AA Vacations to "throw away" (not stay at) the hotel, they can not sell you the package. So, don't.

Q. Will the hotel cause problems for me?

Not likely; they're paid for a prepaid stay whether you stay or not, as they get to keep the money and have "your" room to sell.

Q. Will I earn points at the hotel? Will they recognize my status?

Many chains don't recognize third party bookings for points or stay credit, but will usually recognize your status. Properties will treat as prepaid booking.

Q. Are there ever deals or promos?

Indeed. There are often sales and promotions; look for them on the site.

Q. What if I want to book open jaw or customize?

Calling can do that. There's a $39 call fee, unless it's not able to be booked online. Others have said you can generally calculate the price of an open jaw itinerary by adding half the price of pricing for vacations to the arrival and departure cities and adding those.

Q. Can I put these on "hold" while I think about it since these include air fare?

No. But: Refund of Air Ticket Portion Within 24 Hours of Purchase

Within 24 hours of booking, you are allowed to cancel your refundable or non-refundable air ticket for a full refund (and no change fees and/or difference in fare) subject to the following rules:
  • You must call 800-321-2121 within 24 hours of purchase to cancel the air ticket reservation and request a refund of the air ticket.
  • The reservation must have been booked at least 7 days before scheduled departure.
  • This policy does not apply to hotel or other non-air portions of the package. Standard cancellation policies will apply to all non-air components of the package.
  • Refunds are only issued for tickets booked on aavacations.com or with American Airlines Vacations Reservations.

Q. My AAdvantage credit card earns double Award ("Redeemable") Miles on AA purchases. Will AA Vacations purchases earn 2x miles?

No. What transactions are eligible to earn double AAdvantage® miles?

Eligible American Airlines purchases are items billed by American Airlines as the merchant of record booked through American Airlines channels (aa.com, American Airlines Reservations, American Airlines airport, in-flight and city ticket counters). American Airlines tickets purchased through other channels or that are a component of any other cruise or tour package do not earn the additional mile purchase bonuses. Products or services that do not qualify for the additional bonus miles include car rentals, hotel reservations, American Airlines Vacations packages, purchases of American Airlines AAdvantage miles, duty free purchases and or AA Cargo℠
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Updated 20 Aug 2016 by SpammersAreScum
Print Wikipost

AA: Reduced J Prices to Europe when purchasing via AA Vacations

Old May 19, 2016, 11:23 pm

Yes, I found it on the receipt as Stephem described. Also on the bottom of the email AA generated when it was ticketed. My package cost was similar to his: $3100 including the $129 waiver. Package was air plus 3 nights in a hotel I intend to actually use.
Old May 20, 2016, 9:19 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
Strange,

"Please call to book your trip" and i see my status is "on request" , though my payment for this trip posted quite a while ago. Is this because I booked a BA flight marketed on AA?
Old May 20, 2016, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 466SHH
Booked a trip to Europe in business class last week for early 2017 and it finally ticketed. Just a heads up that the receipt shows 0 (yes, zero) for the fare and $1021 in taxes and fees. Nothing else. Am wondering what the RDM earning will be on that. Not a huge loss as I have a lot of miles right now. Fully expect to get 2 EQM per BIS mile, though and I will need those.

When I back out the hotel rate and the predeparture waiver and the taxes/fees as shown on my AAV receipt, I get about left for $1245 for the base fare.
In all likelihood, when AA switches to $-based earnings for RDMs, these vacation packages will continue to earn miles on a distance-based scheme. That's how UA and DL do it, and I think there's even language on AA.com alluding to this. It's also been briefly discussed upthread.
Old May 20, 2016, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by StatusChallenged
Strange,

"Please call to book your trip" and i see my status is "on request" , though my payment for this trip posted quite a while ago. Is this because I booked a BA flight marketed on AA?
No. I had the same thing and called in. AA told me I had to call AAVacations, that they had to do everything. So I did. Appears they have been very busy lately and are backed up. Agent told me they are working to issue tickets in order of departure so if your flight is several months away, you are way at the back of the line.
Old May 20, 2016, 11:09 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by 466SHH
No. I had the same thing and called in. AA told me I had to call AAVacations, that they had to do everything. So I did. Appears they have been very busy lately and are backed up. Agent told me they are working to issue tickets in order of departure so if your flight is several months away, you are way at the back of the line.
My BA flights (AA codeshare) were booked back in March but only ticketed ten days ago, for travel in two weeks - so yes, they are definitely backed up. I was just beginning to wonder when I should call when it went through.
Old May 20, 2016, 11:43 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
My flights for early June took about 3 days to ticket. I called in to see what was going on, since prior ticketing had been instant and they said as others have noted that were very busy and I shouldn't be worried. About 4 hours later it ticketed.
Old May 21, 2016, 1:20 pm
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
In comparing prices recently for a trip I was planning, I found that Expedia/Orbitz have the same prices as AAVacations do, and it's much easier to book a short number of hotel nights if that's all you need. I also found that Expedia's rate for the hotel I chose happened to include free breakfast and free wifi, something not mentioned on the AAV package rate. Prices were nearly identical on both sites, but Expedia did have a much wider range of hotels available.
Old May 21, 2016, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by dll
In comparing prices recently for a trip I was planning, I found that Expedia/Orbitz have the same prices as AAVacations do, and it's much easier to book a short number of hotel nights if that's all you need. I also found that Expedia's rate for the hotel I chose happened to include free breakfast and free wifi, something not mentioned on the AAV package rate. Prices were nearly identical on both sites, but Expedia did have a much wider range of hotels available.
For me the advantage was that I could book a completely refundable trip for the same or better price. Agent I spoke with suggested I pay about $100 more for refundable rooms. Since it wasn't a throwaway hotel and I was booking about 7 months in advance, that was worth a lot to me. Only thing I will lose is the $129 waiver fee.

With my crazy work schedule, even booking well in advance doesn't always work. So the idea of a refundable ticket for a non refundable price has a lot of appeal for me.
Old May 21, 2016, 7:29 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, HHonors DIA, Fairmont GLD they make me feel special!
If I book a flight (i.e. DFW-LHR) with a 3 day hotel, but also separately book a LHR-CDG flight (when I am suppose to be staying at the hotel) will this cause problems?

I understand not staying at the hotel causes no problems - but wanted to see what happens if I add a separately booked airline ticket (when I should be at the hotel). I assume all is ok - but wanted to clarify.
Old May 21, 2016, 8:18 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by bmxaggie
If I book a flight (i.e. DFW-LHR) with a 3 day hotel, but also separately book a LHR-CDG flight (when I am suppose to be staying at the hotel) will this cause problems?

I understand not staying at the hotel causes no problems - but wanted to see what happens if I add a separately booked airline ticket (when I should be at the hotel). I assume all is ok - but wanted to clarify.
I cant see how this would be a problem at all.
Old May 26, 2016, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So it came up earlier that the AA-branded credit cards (at least the Barclay's Aviator, not sure about Citi) do not give double-miles for VacAAtion purchases, like they do for regular AA charges.

However, I just received an email from Barclay's aviator, that they're offering a 10% discount on the non-flight portion of any vacation packages.
Must book through aavacations.com/aviator.

Savings were relatively modest (~$50-100 total) for a 3-night trip to Barcelona for 2 pax, in a 4-5 star hotel, but I suppose they'd be bigger for longer stays.

Happy travels!
Old May 28, 2016, 10:19 am

Do the AA vacations charges come through as billed by American Airlines as if so will use my Citi Hilton which gives double miles for spend directly with the airlines?
Old May 28, 2016, 2:17 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jonathanev
Do the AA vacations charges come through as billed by American Airlines [...]?
I don't know how Citi treats AA Vacations but American Express gave me 3x MR points and described the transaction thus:

Code:
AA VACATIONS AA VACATULSA OK
[...]
Doing business as:
AMERICAN AIRLINES
AMERICAN AIRLINES-CC
[...]
Additional Information: TRANSPORTATION SERVICES
Reference: [...]
Category: Travel - Airline
Old Jun 2, 2016, 7:20 am

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
AS MileagePlan credit?

Has a anyone been successful in receiving AS Mileage Plan credit on one of these, particular an AA flight number on BA metal?

Thanks.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jonathanev
Do the AA vacations charges come through as billed by American Airlines as if so will use my Citi Hilton which gives double miles for spend directly with the airlines?
This was discussed somewhere upthread I think. Neither Barclay's not Citi's AA card give double miles - and the exclusion is spelled out in the fine print (and unfortunately I didn't read it before I made the charge...). American Airlines is unlikely to be the merchant of record on the transaction, so there's definitely a chance you might not get the bonus. But try reading the fine print - maybe there will be clues.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.