Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

Help us set rules for the Premium Fare subforum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help us set rules for the Premium Fare subforum

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2014, 8:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by aBroadAbroad
Agreed, but it doesn't necessarily need to be specified in the title, at least not at the front. Codes vary a lot, whereas naming the cabin is consistent, and much clearer — only two or three easily spotted terms. The specific fare code can be tacked onto the end of the title or elaborated upon in the post body.
I'm not suggesting that the specific fare code be in the title, only the fare class which is usually a single letter like F, P, A, I, Z, etc.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 8:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm not suggesting that the specific fare code be in the title, only the fare class which is usually a single letter like F, P, A, I, Z, etc.
Instead of "BIZ" or "FIRST"?
Old Nov 26, 2014, 8:55 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Instead of "BIZ" or "FIRST"?
NO, in addition to biz or first or premium economy.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 9:11 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
knowing the fare class [...] enables you to know how many miles you will earn [...]
I know. My point was just that it doesn't belong in the thread title. It's secondary information (many of us are not particularly interested in how many miles we will earn) and it's not always clear cut, for example because of the marketing/operating distinction that you mention.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by IMH
I know. My point was just that it doesn't belong in the thread title. It's secondary information (many of us are not particularly interested in how many miles we will earn) and it's not always clear cut, for example because of the marketing/operating distinction that you mention.
I some cases it's crucial information. There are some business class and domestic FC fares in *A that don't earn any miles at all on certain partners. For example, UA A fares didn't earn anything on A3 the last time I checked. Another example from *A is the Z class international long haul business class fares on LH that IIRC cannot be upgraded with UA SWUs.

I've already pointed out some big differences for DL FFers using DL marketed and DL operated flights.

It's helpful and important information in many cases. Adding a single fare class letter to the thread title seems like a useful addition in many cases that won't do any harm if someone needs to check further.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 10:09 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
As someone who arbitrages between several FFPs I understand the reasons for wanting to know the booking class, but I think this has more potential to confuse when included in the thread title.

Some fares have different booking classes for different flight segments.

Some fares include codeshares, and there may not be alignment of booking code between marketing and operating airlines. For some FFPs it is the code of the marketing airline that matters while for others it is the code of the operating airline that matters. In general the mapping between marketing and operating airline booking codes is not public, although in some cases has been deduced by FTers.

Treatment of -UP fares. Both the non-upgraded and the upgraded booking classes are relevant information that are of use.

There is a risk that some people get lazy and omit the class of travel. Then readers have to try and work out if F means cabin or booking class (on some airlines F booking class is economy).

It is easier to include within the post the clarifying information on booking classes.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by jpdx
We’ve been watching the new subforum for a month, and had a lot of discussion in the background. We have settled several issues, and are looking for input on others.

Now, here are the things we’d like to get some input on:

2) Do Premium Economy Fares belong here?

We see some potential problems coming up with Premium Economy. We've already had some discussion about that -- e.g., do these fares belong here at all, and why is TK/CX ok, but not UA? To many posters, it doesn’t make sense to house PE with C/F fares, while others say, anything more comfortable than standard coach should be discussed here.

So, here’s your chance to provide input on the future direction of this subforum. Please understand that we’re specifically asking for input about items 1-4, but NOT about larger issues, including whether this topic should have been created at all, the flaws with the process leading to its creation, etc – that discussion has a place in the “Close the recently created Premium Deals Forum” thread in the TB forum.

--jpdx, MR Moderator, on behalf of the MR forum moderators
I don't know why this is even being discussed here. The TB motion was explicit that premium economy cabin fares are included.

Once again, premium economy cabin fares are different fare classes from coach and apply to a separate cabin on the aircraft. This includes BA WT+, AF Premium Economy, products offered by NZ, QF, etc. but NOT UA Y+ or DL/KLM EC which are just special seats in coach that carry an additional fee for some passengers rather than requiring different fare classes.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Nov 26, 2014 at 10:29 am Reason: shorten quote
Old Nov 26, 2014, 1:36 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I some cases it's crucial information. There are some business class and domestic FC fares in *A that don't earn any miles at all on certain partners. For example, UA A fares didn't earn anything on A3 the last time I checked. Another example from *A is the Z class international long haul business class fares on LH that IIRC cannot be upgraded with UA SWUs....
This is important because your view is primarily miles. But these fares are not supposed to be mile-generators firstly, but to be excellent fares in premium cabins. Nothing more or less.
And actually, this was discussed in talkboard before the vote, and the person making the motion said he wanted a forum appeal to the "airline agnostic, [who] care more about class of service than the airline it is on".

I don't know why this is even being discussed here. The TB motion was explicit that premium economy cabin fares are included. ...
Perhaps because moderators already have been able to adjust the issue of [FARE GONE], also explicitly mentioned in the motion?
Old Nov 26, 2014, 2:50 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
I some cases it's crucial information.
We know. It isn't that you haven't made your point clearly, it's just that some of us don't agree with your conclusion. As others have pointed out, both here and in the earlier thread, for various combinations of airlines (marketing, operating) and FFPs there are other bits of information that are crucial to some readers -- but secondary or unimportant for many. Far better to keep things clean and stick to the sensible thread title essentials suggested by SQ421.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 4:48 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
I some cases it's crucial information. There are some business class and domestic FC fares in *A that don't earn any miles at all on certain partners. For example, UA A fares didn't earn anything on A3 the last time I checked. Another example from *A is the Z class international long haul business class fares on LH that IIRC cannot be upgraded with UA SWUs.

I've already pointed out some big differences for DL FFers using DL marketed and DL operated flights.

It's helpful and important information in many cases. Adding a single fare class letter to the thread title seems like a useful addition in many cases that won't do any harm if someone needs to check further.
Don't forget everybody's favorite: EY Z fares. They show as first on ITA and some booking sites but are actually discount business. There is no limo and no AA miles earning.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 5:20 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
I'd just like to agree with jpdx's suggestion that "quotes should be given in a currency that is meaningful to the fare" -- I recently saw a fare ex-Japan quoted in EUR. Given the currency fluctuations that occur on a regular basis, it would be great if posters could post fares in a currency relevant to that fare (EUR for ex-EU flights, AUD for ex-AUD flights, etc.). Fares in a relatively minor currency could be posted in USD.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 6:37 pm

Programs: I travel for fun these days.
F&C only.

First off, thank you to the moderators for all your work in organising and keeping this forum sane.

IMHO, the sub-forum should only be F&C fares... PE is still Y.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 2:42 am

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DirtyDan
First off, thank you to the moderators for all your work in organising and keeping this forum sane.

IMHO, the sub-forum should only be F&C fares... PE is still Y.
The TB motion that birthed this forum mentions Premium Economy fares so can we move on from this please?
Old Nov 27, 2014, 2:47 am

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by armagebedar
I'd just like to agree with jpdx's suggestion that "quotes should be given in a currency that is meaningful to the fare" -- I recently saw a fare ex-Japan quoted in EUR. Given the currency fluctuations that occur on a regular basis, it would be great if posters could post fares in a currency relevant to that fare (EUR for ex-EU flights, AUD for ex-AUD flights, etc.). Fares in a relatively minor currency could be posted in USD.
+1 Especially given how much some currencies can fluctuate on a day to day basis (eg. JPY in the last two weeks!)
Old Nov 27, 2014, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by armagebedar
How about in the currency at which the fare is originally published?

I suppose this requires an ExpertFlyer subscription to discern.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.