Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

"We got a new subforum -- I'm so happy/I'm so sad" DISCUSSION THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"We got a new subforum -- I'm so happy/I'm so sad" DISCUSSION THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2014, 8:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kokonutz
In the meantime, let's buy and fly premium! ^
AND post premium fares!
Old Oct 29, 2014, 9:01 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
What are the guidelines for which premium fares to post?

In the old thread, it was specifically advised to not post about regular sales/promotions. Now, I can see several threads that is about fares that comes and goes as a part of different airlines normal activities.

Is the new forum supposed to be a repository of any "sales" fare or are we supposed to set a certain standard that a fare must live up to?
Old Oct 29, 2014, 9:18 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
This question was a point of the open and transparent discussion in the TB consideration of the creation of this subforum.

The original idea was to move expired threads to the Discussion subforum just as MR threads are done.

But, of course, that would be re-mingling coach and premium fare threads again in the afterlife.

So the decision was to keep all premium fare threads segregated here but change the thread title to note that the fare is expired as the expired fare thread either dies a natural death or not because it remains a hot topic in the afterlife...but still be actively differentiated from new or active fares so that each type is easily identified.

So, contrary to jpdx's assertion, this decision was not put through without carefully considering what would constitute a best practice in terms of expired premium fares. As a moderator of this forum, it is regretful that jpdx did not participate in that consideration as his forum co-moderator tcook052 did. But I hope that ALL of the users will give the subforum a chance to find its groove. If, after it has been going for a bit, better practices are identified then of COURSE those should be implemented.

In the meantime, let's buy and fly premium! ^
I don't want to speak for jpdx, but did you think to ask the forum moderators for their opinion before voting? It looks like tcook052 moved the thread from MR discussion to TB, so s/he knew about and was able to provid his/her input, even though it was largely ignored.

The current subforum is a mess. There are about half a dozen posts for the same thing (US-Europe on SkyTeam). There is a new thread for the QR 2-for-1 deals, a new post to the same in the Premium Deal thread, and a request to split a 2-for-1. As only the Moderators can change a thread title you have just created a lot more work for them. Just wait until we have to go to the second page to get past all the [FARE GONE].
Old Oct 29, 2014, 9:29 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by skunker
I don't want to speak for jpdx, but did you think to ask the forum moderators for their opinion before voting? It looks like tcook052 moved the thread from MR discussion to TB, so s/he knew about and was able to provid his/her input, even though it was largely ignored.

The current subforum is a mess. There are about half a dozen posts for the same thing (US-Europe on SkyTeam). There is a new thread for the QR 2-for-1 deals, a new post to the same in the Premium Deal thread, and a request to split a 2-for-1. As only the Moderators can change a thread title you have just created a lot more work for them. Just wait until we have to go to the second page to get past all the [FARE GONE].
We are told that mods are working on guidelines.

Until those are done and begun to be implemented I think it's very unfair to criticize posts or the moderation of the new subforum.

I realize that sometimes change is hard. Particularly when it seems like a surprise. It's a shame that anyone feels that way. But. Again, let's all give the subforum (and its moderators) a chance to find its groove.

In the meantime I have personally already taken advantage of a fare posted here. THAT's what it's all about. ^
Old Oct 29, 2014, 9:39 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by skunker
The current subforum is a mess.
Birth can be messy.

Many of us would have contributed to the pre-decision discussions if we'd known about it, but I'm not convinced the outcome would have been any different. Implementation might have been more orderly, but it seems like a waste of effort to get worked up about it now.

There are about half a dozen posts for the same thing (US-Europe on SkyTeam).
Once the mods are on top of things, which I imagine will be soon, merging threads doesn't require much time or effort.

There is a new thread for the QR 2-for-1 deals, a new post to the same in the Premium Deal thread, and a request to split a 2-for-1.
Getting the split request merged into the thread is a simple matter of hitting RBP, typing a few words and waiting. Posts on the old thread are to be expected in the transition phase: it's what people are used to doing and it will take a little while for everyone to adapt.

I expect the old thread will be closed in the fairly near future anyway.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 10:58 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I have personally already taken advantage of a fare posted here. THAT's what it's all about.
Ain't that the truth.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 7:15 pm

Programs: AC SE
I really like the new sub-forum. Much easier to browse if you're looking for a specific airline/departure city.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 8:25 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus; Southwest; American Airlines
Thanks to the Moderators

Thank you Mod volunteers for doing a great job.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 3:56 pm

Thanks to all who have found these fares, and the mods who continually clean things up. This sub-forum is amazing.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by CabinCaptive
Thanks to all who have found these fares, and the mods who continually clean things up. This sub-forum is amazing.
While I do appreciate the mods hard work, I am still hating the new system.

The old format was so easy to scan and simple to see all the deals. Now it is a lot more work and a lot more comments/questions.

I accept that many others like the new format and it is likely to stay, but, add me to the list of people who want my premium fare thread back!
Old Oct 30, 2014, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Internet peeps always be gripin'.

I dig the new subforum, I seem to be able to read it better. But what's my opinion worth? Some Skymiles, maybe?
Old Oct 31, 2014, 1:13 am

Programs: AF Platinum, UA Platinum Million Miler Lifetime Gold, QR Platinum, HH Lifetime Diamond, IHG Diamond
loving it

Originally Posted by 110pgl
While I do appreciate the mods hard work, I am still hating the new system.

The old format was so easy to scan and simple to see all the deals. Now it is a lot more work and a lot more comments/questions.

I accept that many others like the new format and it is likely to stay, but, add me to the list of people who want my premium fare thread back!
i simply love the new system, the forum is about fares and no there is a simple menu without all the "experts" trying to out-do each other with how much code they all know.

I can now see a fare, if I like it, I open it, read all the code specific to that fare and dismiss all the complications of code speak.

Keeping it simple, I understand that is an oxymoron for many in the travel business, but for us who pay for our fares, this new system is great.

Loving it!
Old Oct 31, 2014, 4:08 pm

Loving the new sub-forum! Thank you, thank you!
Old Oct 31, 2014, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by jkenn
Loving the new sub-forum! Thank you, thank you!
If you are loving it, how about contributing to it with great deals? 191 posts in 11 years.
Seems like lots of the support for the new concept is from people who read it and possibly book the fares, but not really contribute with new deals
Old Oct 31, 2014, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
I've always thought that FT should be a forum to work with the airlines, not against them. So when mistake fares arose, and people would make the "pledge" not to call, I became disappointed in our community. In fact, the whole pledge thing is pretty infantile.

I think FlyerTalk should only promote legitimate fares.

This said, I really appreciate the new subform.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.