Can An Umbrella Be Carried On An Aircraft?

Old Sep 20, 2009, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, TAM, Iberia Plata
Can An Umbrella Be Carried On An Aircraft?

Can you have an umbrella as carry on in most countries/airlines? Are there any countries where it's not allowed? I read some where it usually didn't count as one of the allowed pieces of carry-on (just like a coat).
Old Sep 20, 2009, 9:42 pm

A compact umbrella will fit nicely in any roll-aboard.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

What about a proper English wooden one? That's not collapsible.

I'm considering buying a proper umbrella that won't go "inside out" when the wind is blowing. But if I can't bring it with me on a plane I won't have it to help against the rain at my destination.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 2:15 pm

Programs: too many of the few that are left
dangerously cute

Originally Posted by sailingdane
What about a proper English wooden one? That's not collapsible.

I'm considering buying a proper umbrella that won't go "inside out" when the wind is blowing. But if I can't bring it with me on a plane I won't have it to help against the rain at my destination.
Several years ago (2006?) a friend's kid had her flimsy, child-sized Hello Kitty umbrella confiscated at PIT because "it could be used as a weapon."

If you're not checking a bag it will fit, can you buy one at your destination?
Old Sep 21, 2009, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by YCTTSFM
Several years ago (2006?) a friend's kid had her flimsy, child-sized Hello Kitty umbrella confiscated at PIT because "it could be used as a weapon."

And we all know how dangerous Hello Kitty is:

Seriously, I think one country does prohibit umbrellas, just can’t think of it right now.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 4:45 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by N965VJ

Seriously, I think one country does prohibit umbrellas, just can’t think of it right now.
um, why can't you think of it? cat got your tongue? <ducking>
Old Sep 21, 2009, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by N965VJ

While I concede that Hello Kitty is determined to subvert our American Way of Life™, I'm fairly certain that's not an umbrella.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 5:46 pm

Programs: PC Plat/Amb
I would upgrade to a fare that allows you to ride inside the plane.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YCTTSFM

If you're not checking a bag it will fit, can you buy one at your destination?
I think I'll get a collapsible one, if that makes it easier to travel with. I want to buy a good umbrella, and not several ones for each country I'm traveling to.

What about other countries? I would assume it's fine in the UK.

Do you need a permit to carry umbrellas in the land of the free then?

I think I'll just try to avoid going to the US. It seems like they don't want tourists or business anyway, treating foreigners like criminals and coming up with new hassles like pre-applications online to enter the country and a new $10 tax for entering. I guess the government thinks the economy is so great it's better off with less tourism.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
I think I'll just try to avoid going to the US. It seems like they don't want tourists or business anyway, treating foreigners like criminals and coming up with new hassles like pre-applications online to enter the country and a new $10 tax for entering.
Please write to the Visitors Bureau/Chamber of Commerce, hotels, etc. of the places you’ve visited and tell them why you spend your money elsewhere now. (And I still think Bill Marriott is living on Mars if he thinks that stupid tax is a good idea)
Old Sep 28, 2009, 11:00 pm

I think I'll get a collapsible one, if that makes it easier to travel with. I want to buy a good umbrella, and not several ones for each country I'm traveling to.
If you have access to the UK, Fortnum & Mason had some really brilliant durable, full-sized, wind-tolerant folding ones a couple years ago. Six weeks of windy, wet summer of '07 in Carlyle did not break it!

Do you need a permit to carry umbrellas in the land of the free then?
Not unless it's fully automatic.

Only TSA is the potential problem; museums etc. won't bother you at all. However, my friend's experience above is why my good non-collapsible goes buried at the bottom of a large checked bag, if I need it.

I think I'll just try to avoid going to the US. It seems like they don't want tourists or business anyway, treating foreigners like criminals and coming up with new hassles like pre-applications online to enter the country and a new $10 tax for entering. I guess the government thinks the economy is so great it's better off with less tourism.
Many of us welcome visitors, and are trying to get the relevant agencies to reflect that (with limited success as you can see on this board). You are not alone; several old friends who used to love vacationing here no longer do because of what you mention. If you choose not to come, please do contact places you would have visited, and tell them why you changed your plans.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 4:27 pm

Can you have an umbrella as carry on in most countries/airlines? Are there any countries where it's not allowed? I read some where it usually didn't count as one of the allowed pieces of carry-on (just like a coat).
In the years I have worked in TSA I have never seen an umbrella not allowed. The various nations I have travelled through have always allowed me to carry mine, but I did notice this from the London Heathrow web-site:

"What about umbrellas?
Large, golfing type umbrellas are not permitted as they exceed the baggage size set by the DfT. Folding or collapsible umbrellas that can fit within hand baggage can of course be carried. These items will be X-rayed."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.