TSA Sting At JFK

Old Jul 15, 2009, 4:45 am
Original Poster

TSA Sting At JFK

Pilfering luggage must be really chronic at JFK these days that even TSA felt the need to do a sting operation. I would hope that they redesign the system that allows passengers to have all their checked luggage screened in their presence before it is out of their sight. That way passengers can lock their luggage; no guarantee it will be secured but at least offers peace of mind.

"A sting captured by security cameras nabbed two sticky-fingered airport workers who swiped electronics planted by authorities, officials said.

Brian Burton, 27, and Antwon Simmons, 26, stole a laptop and cell phone from the decoy luggage as it moved through Kennedy Airport, Port Authority officials said.

"When air travelers check their luggage with an airline, there is an implicit trust that their bags and their contents will meet them at their destination," said Queens District Attorney Richard Brown. "The defendants are accused of betraying that trust."

Burton, an officer with the Transportation Security Administration, was videotaped July 7 pilfering through the Miami-bound suitcase in an airport screening room while Simmons, a baggage handler, looked on."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_c...xzz0LK5hrEYm&C
Old Jul 15, 2009, 7:32 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by Coralreef Lover
"Burton, an officer with the Transportation Security Administration, was videotaped July 7 pilfering through the Miami-bound suitcase in an airport screening room while Simmons, a baggage handler, looked on."
Obligatory use of the phrase "a few bad apples" in 5... 4... 3... 2...

Last edited by RadioGirl; Jul 15, 2009 at 7:40 am
Old Jul 15, 2009, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pilfering luggage must be really chronic at JFK these days that even TSA felt the need to do a sting operation.
These days?
Old Jul 15, 2009, 7:36 am

I love this part: The pilfering pair - who had been on cops' radar, a source said - took the bait, failing the so-called integrity test.

Old Jul 15, 2009, 7:51 am

I hope they both get put under the jail. Kudos to Delta, TSA, and PAPD.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 8:01 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Didn't they pass a background test? How could this have happened??

Well, there's certainly no reason to screen all airport and "security" employees since we have these background checks, huh?
Old Jul 15, 2009, 8:33 am

Step away from the shoe carnival...

We can only hope it will develop into a program that keeps luggage secure from pilferage.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Get Rid of Backrooms Security Screenings

Originally Posted by Crazyace718
Just under two months or less a baggage handler stole a gun from a checked luggage. I'm sure these two characters are aware of that incident and the charges involved. Heavy jail sentences won't deter. They will find new and innovative ways to engage in criminal activities. TSA needs to redesign the the screening of luggage that allows all passengers who are about to check luggage be present. Get rid of these back rooms. American history shows that backrooms are where politicians and crooks make deals. Everything should be done with full transparency. I hope TSA reads my post.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 10:56 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Crazyace718
agreed ^

Originally Posted by Spiff

Well, there's certainly no reason to screen all airport and "security" employees since we have these background checks, huh?
Spiff, shame on you
Old Jul 15, 2009, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Another isolated incident...
Old Jul 15, 2009, 12:26 pm

"The defendants are accused of betraying that trust."
What a quaint way of saying grand theft or larceny.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RadioGirl
Obligatory use of the phrase "a few bad apples" in 5... 4... 3... 2...
Someone please help out here-how many bushels of bad apples does this now make for the TSA? I've lost count...
Old Jul 15, 2009, 4:46 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by txrus
Someone please help out here-how many bushels of bad apples does this now make for the TSA? I've lost count...
Probably has something to do with the fertilizer in the orchard.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Spiff

No, they didn't have any passed the criminal background check. It was failed to prior to get fingerprinted screening at JFK. Because JFK are very stricter. I believe they didn't found out who have a convicted in the past. It was not to be permanently to get new job at airports for rest existance miserable life.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by N965VJ
Another isolated incident...
At what volume does an incident become non-isolated?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.