Community
Wiki Posts
Search

tsa & bar soap

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2009, 7:42 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, SW Rewards, WorldPerks, Barnes and Noble Frequent Buyers
I actually collect the hotel soaps and lotions when I travel and donate them to our local Lutheran Social Services center to give out to people who need it. And if you have dry skin the oatmeal soaps are great (like Aveeno).....^

Last edited by AirlineBrat53; Jun 11, 2009 at 7:42 pm Reason: to add some clarification....
Old Jun 11, 2009, 8:39 pm

My 2nd cousin's girlfriend had given me a couple of bars of soap that I put in my carry on and I threw in some sort of electronic gizmo on top of everything in my carry on- not thinking- my bag got pulled to be hand checked- of course they used the explosive indicators on it. The TSA guy was really nice about it- I told him I didnt think about what it looked like under xray. and I did not tell him what it looked like- not using those words! so yeah ,it can get checked.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

Just to update, I did bring the soap through FLL tonight. I made sure I packed it away from my phone charger & ipod, the only electronics I traveled with. It didn't trigger a bag check. A TSA lady did run off with my shoes before I could put them back on and swabbed them. I've never had that happen before, but they seemed to be swabbing random items that were loose in bins. Cellphones, shoes, etc. They must've been overstaffed or something.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 12:00 am
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
This didn't happen in the US, but I feel it's related enough to comment.

Last week, returning to SJU from GUA (via PTY), the Guatemalan TSA equivalents (not sure what their agency name is) took away my bar shampoo and soap I've been traveling with for some time. No explanation, nothing. She let go of the cologne I had deeper in the bag, but took away my bars of soap/shampoo stating that they were liquid (even though they were clearly solid).

I didn't bother to fight it, since I didn't (and still don't) know what power the Guatemalan TSO equivalents have.

Funny thing though, they have crappy photocopies of US TSA 3-1-1 flyers and posters at the checkpoint,
Old Aug 3, 2009, 11:52 am

I just returned from Guatemala to the US this past Saturday. At the carry-on baggage security check they took out the little hotel bar soaps I was going to bring back as souvenirs, and did not return them. They also confiscated two small pump spray containers; one was insect repellent and the other was "Afterbite", a treatment for insect bites. Was this legit or a small-time scam? (such as for the baggage handlers to keep or resell them)
Old Aug 3, 2009, 2:36 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by Russerford
I just returned from Guatemala to the US this past Saturday. At the carry-on baggage security check they took out the little hotel bar soaps I was going to bring back as souvenirs, and did not return them. They also confiscated two small pump spray containers; one was insect repellent and the other was "Afterbite", a treatment for insect bites. Was this legit or a small-time scam? (such as for the baggage handlers to keep or resell them)
That happened to me in GUA with medicated soap.... it left me quite livid.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 1:13 am

Can I bring bar soaps to the US? If yes, what's the volume or how many pcs of bar soap can i bring? Tnx in advance....
Old Dec 2, 2012, 8:39 pm

Programs: Platinum
This triggered a search on a recent trip:
http://www.lushusa.com/Dragon%27s-Eg...gid=bath-bombs
Apparently, the x-ray machine noticed "something organic", so my wife's bag was searched.

I'm glad she didn't buy this: http://www.lushusa.com/Blackberry/02...gid=bath-bombs
Old Dec 3, 2012, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Originally Posted by Jan Sarmiento
Can I bring bar soaps to the US? If yes, what's the volume or how many pcs of bar soap can i bring? Tnx in advance....
I've never had a problem with a full-size bar from home. How many do you want to pack? The only issue I could think of is them showing up as a big solid mass on the x-ray and perhaps customs thinking you may be trying to artfully conceal something in the bars or cover up a smell.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 12:08 am

Programs: Ex CO/ UA Gold, Hotels.. TBD
I am carrying certain herbal medical soap.

Would a 4-5 bars of soap cause any issues with TSA in a carry on?
Old Dec 17, 2013, 7:25 am

Programs: AA-3MM-ExPLT
If they question it as a liquid or gel, you can declare it as medication - http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-informat...essary-liquids
Old Dec 17, 2013, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by AirlineBrat53
I actually collect the hotel soaps and lotions when I travel and donate them to our local Lutheran Social Services center to give out to people who need it.
I donated a whole bunch of soap bars to a shelter recently, and they really appreciated it! Oh, and a few little bottles of shampoo, conditioner, etc. that I "forgot" about and were loosely floating around in my rollaboard.

Originally Posted by xmlsoa
Would a 4-5 bars of soap cause any issues with TSA in a carry on?
Lay them flat in the bottom of your bag, or otherwise in a fashion to not show up as a big solid blob on the x-ray.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 2:15 am

Programs: Ex CO/ UA Gold, Hotels.. TBD
Originally Posted by N965VJ
Lay them flat in the bottom of your bag, or otherwise in a fashion to not show up as a big solid blob on the x-ray.
They are hardly 1.5/2" x 1" each and 5 or 6 of them - So whats best?

CARRY-ON:
Gray - Square-ish Duffle Bag (Should I be concerned about Overhead Space?)

L W H
24 11 14

- Stacking them up together on a "side" or "side pocket"
- Spreading them on the side wall
- Spreading them flat on bottom - TOGETHER in LINE/ MATRIX? SPREAD OUT? at CORNERS?

Bag Shape most similar to this:
- Squarish: http://www.evo.com/imgp/1500/69394/3...ndependent.jpg
- Side & End Pockets similar to this: http://www.4discounttravel.com/conte...duffel-bag.jpg
Old Dec 21, 2013, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just spread them out evenly on the bottom of your bag. Note that most of the posts in this thread are from 2009, so the x-ray machines in use should be able to discern a non-threat, TSA predictable unpredictability duly noted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.